Land Rover horror stories

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
Blowing bulbs could be a faulty voltage regulator.
Also check all earth bonding, especially to aluminium as it can oxidise under the washers.

Leaky water pump if it's a 300tdi then it'll be the P gasket.
Couple of hours work with a scraper and then plenty of red raddle on the new gasket.

Steering wander could be any one of half a dozen things including a worn part on the internal thread - not unknown. I've known them fine on the straight ahead and wandering all over the place with a bit of wheel on.

The bodywork looks fine to me. Someone will try and nick it if it looks too neat.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Land rover and horror stories, think this fits well here
e240a7b1-407d-4cf8-aec7-d188932c058a.jpg

No, experience of rebuilding series 2 and 3.
Lots of money involved, some minor injuries, to fettle something that will leak from every seal again within a fortnight. And you still need a second car to go and buy the spares.
Oh I know, but Ben Fogle will have you :) . He swears that it’s an essential part of the charm. Mind I know what he means. Back in the naughties I acquired a series three LWB wiv tilt and partialy rebuilt it. Then one morning bloke saw it in the garage and made me an offer I couldn’t refuse. There’s part of me that wished I’d finished the job.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Happy to spend an hour looking over it if you like. You can drink disgustingly strong Italian coffee while I clamber over it laughing like a mad thing and swearing a lot.

You know where we are. Pick a half decent day as it will involve me limbo dancing and loafing around on the floor but otherwise just turn up.

Depending how terrible it is we can come up with a plan to get it sorted.

If you want biccie bring some. If the kids want a wander round that's cool too.
Awesome cheers. I’ll pop by next week. Massively appreciated.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Back in the 70s a cousin came to stay. Prior to departure she declared that her car (vauxhall viva) was burning a bit of oil. My dad insisted she topped it up and dug her out a tin of Duckhams "Q" 20/50

Some time later she was still faffing on with it. On inspection it was obvious why it was taking a while. She was toppi ng it up via the dipstick tube.
Had a vehicle recovered in a few weeks ago, wouldn't start after topping up the oil.... filled to the brim, as in to the top of the filler neck, they were suprised that it took 12 litres as it had only been serviced three months ago...

Truxx

LE
Had a vehicle recovered in a few weeks ago, wouldn't start after topping up the oil.... filled to the brim, as in to the top of the filler neck, they were suprised that it took 12 litres as it had only been serviced three months ago...
Thats a generational thing. Back in the day the manual would tell you how to change and set the points. These days it advises users not to drink the contents of the battery.

I've been working on my Landy for weeks

Now some ****** wants to shove a coffin on the back

I've been working on my Landy for weeks

Now some ****** wants to shove a coffin on the back
It will be interesting to see the "design" with which the DoE (RIP), occupied himself.

I would have thought, merely drop-down the tailgate (supported on its chains), and with a couple of full Gerry-cans, on the front bumper, to counter-act the weight ?! ;) .

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
It will be interesting to see the "design" with which the DoE (RIP), occupied himself.

I would have thought, merely drop-down the tailgate (supported on its chains), and with a couple of full Gerry-cans, on the front bumper, to counter-act the weight ?! ;) .

Various shooting pages I’m on are saying that it’s going to be his 130 gun bus, which he did have a hand in designing.

6A966C8C-86BC-448D-98EF-EF2E9A061DE3.jpeg

When my GM died in 1997, at home in Moshi after a very boozy braai, I got the chaps to sling him into the back of a company 110; took a while as he was a big fellow, and cramming the body in took some effort. At the other end of the journey, someone lost his grip (not me) and he landed on the gravel like a sack of spuds, at which time the mortuary staff took over. I'm sure the Duke will have measured the necessary lengths, and specified strong matelots to do the necessary.

jmb3296

War Hero
Had a body washed ashore on a beach with the tide coming in once near Edinburgh. ( not a very scenic beach but it went a long way out, and the body was a long way out at waters edge)
Got the deceased strapped on to a stretcher and covered in a blanket, but it looked a long, long way back over sand carrying the stretcher.
Traffic pitched up in a Land Rover 90.
Of course the stretcher won’t fit in, carrying it over the bonnet “ MASH” style seemed fraught with danger and ripe for photos appearing in media.
Eventually stretcher and body in the back of the Landy with someone sitting beside the stretcher holding the door pulled too with a bit of rope.
The Dukes selection of a Land Rover 130 seems wise.

Truxx

LE

Here it is:

172044192_2863757037273754_52529908197967929_n.jpg

Truxx

LE
Had a body washed ashore on a beach with the tide coming in once near Edinburgh. ( not a very scenic beach but it went a long way out, and the body was a long way out at waters edge)
Got the deceased strapped on to a stretcher and covered in a blanket, but it looked a long, long way back over sand carrying the stretcher.
Of course the stretcher won’t fit in, carrying it over the bonnet “ MASH” style seemed fraught with danger and ripe for photos appearing in media.
Eventually stretcher and body in the back of the Landy with someone sitting beside the stretcher holding the door pulled too with a bit of rope.
Once upon a time in Bosnia a patrol from a certain regiment (with two capbadges) came across a stiff. Quite literally apparently, a combination of rigor mortise and sub zero temperatures. They had to break his legs witn the hydraulic back door of the warrior to get him inside.

Remove back of front passenger seat (two bolts) or tilt right forward.

Stretcher will then sit at an angle over the mid bulkhead and you get about six and a half feet length in if I remember rightly. It can be done.