Land Rover horror stories

I know of an arable man near Beverly who called out the service man to a dead combine. And after plugging in was told something very similar.
Everything , and I mean everything the combine ever did was monitored by Claas back in cloggie land. Including the service contract.
Claas Guss? Cloggie Land? The BIG factory used to be in Harsewinkel, where some of the quarters were for RAF Gutersloh. Cracking Karneval there :)

Odd that people will spends silly amounts of Money on a Range Rover, but will not spend any money on tracking systems
one Range Rover owner however had the brains to fit one
and a theft operation is broken up
I reckon he should get a reward from the insurers of the other cars recovered
I actually know this place, right next door to a mate who's into Defenders and tractors.
I did wonder how those guys made money putting a tatty pick up into a well worn 7.5 tonner on top of an elderly 18 tonner and shipping it to Zimbabwe, I just figured they had a good contact who hooked them up with the nautical equivalent of a back load or something.
Anyway, we discussed it and reckoned that people who steal new Range-Rovers aren't into dented Defenders, different demographic.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
@Truxx @Cloth bomber

Gents, who would you guys recommend for a bit of fettling on my series?

I’ve got a growing list of minor jobs that are starting to mount up and become annoying. The sort of thing that you’d normally put off and ignore, but now coupled with about 10 other small jobs that you’d normally put off and ignore.

Last time I used the place on Gilwilly I’ve gotta say I was largely underwhelmed by the whole experience and his lack of enthusiasm for taking on paid work.

Any experience of that place in Wigton? Looks half decent from the website.

Truxx

LE
@Truxx @Cloth bomber

Gents, who would you guys recommend for a bit of fettling on my series?

I’ve got a growing list of minor jobs that are starting to mount up and become annoying. The sort of thing that you’d normally put off and ignore, but now coupled with about 10 other small jobs that you’d normally put off and ignore.

Last time I used the place on Gilwilly I’ve gotta say I was largely underwhelmed by the whole experience and his lack of enthusiasm for taking on paid work.

Any experience of that place in Wigton? Looks half decent from the website.
Depends what the jobs are.

Normally I would say fetch it down here but we are a bit choice

Chalky at Eden View garage here on the Industrial Estate knows his stuff and lots of farmers throw their landrover at him.

If it is welding on the chassis though that might be a little trickier to find anyone. Pop you list on here and let's have a look. In the meantime I am awaiting notes on that other thing, but Stu and Dwb are moving house this week and have been otherwise engaged.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Depends what the jobs are.

Normally I would say fetch it down here but we are a bit choice

Chalky at Eden View garage here on the Industrial Estate knows his stuff and lots of farmers throw their landrover at him.

If it is welding on the chassis though that might be a little trickier to find anyone. Pop you list on here and let's have a look. In the meantime I am awaiting notes on that other thing, but Stu and Dwb are moving house this week and have been otherwise engaged.

It’s all driveable and still in daily use but these things are starting to bug me:

There is a weird steering issue. I know these things don’t exactly have precision handling but it’s starting to wander all over the place. I’ve checked the steering box and taken a shim out of the swivel pins but it’s still happening. It had a new steering relay not too long ago. Seems to be slowly getting worse.

Possibly related to above, I get a single loud clunk noise sometimes when I turn the steering wheel. Again can’t seem to see anything obvious that looks loose or dodgy.

The accelerator cable snapped a few years back and is currently held together with some random bolts and washers that I found under the seat. Could do with a proper new one.

The lights are all over the place. I seem to blow bulbs every time I get in the thing. Some of the light fittings don’t work at all I’ve changed the bulbs and the whole fitting but still nowt. One headlight is very dim.

Handbrake is currently fitted for but not with, after the missus went for a nice long drive with it on.

The wings are on the piss and could do with straightening up.

It’s just developed a leak from the water pump. Needs a new gasket.

Could do with a major service. It’s been about 5 years since belts were done etc.

Speedo needs calibrating due to me running Range Rover diffs and bigger wheels.

The ignition overruns for a second or two when you turn it off.

It has the wrong suspension fitted. 109 parabolic springs instead of 88s. Either needs new springs or a leaf taken out of the back.

The steering, lights and service are the priority really.

Other than that it’s basically perfect.

It’s all driveable and still in daily use but these things are starting to bug me:

There is a weird steering issue. I know these things don’t exactly have precision handling but it’s starting to wander all over the place. I’ve checked the steering box and taken a shim out of the swivel pins but it’s still happening. It had a new steering relay not too long ago. Seems to be slowly getting worse.

Possibly related to above, I get a single loud clunk noise sometimes when I turn the steering wheel. Again can’t seem to see anything obvious that looks loose or dodgy.

The accelerator cable snapped a few years back and is currently held together with some random bolts and washers that I found under the seat. Could do with a proper new one.

The lights are all over the place. I seem to blow bulbs every time I get in the thing. Some of the light fittings don’t work at all I’ve changed the bulbs and the whole fitting but still nowt. One headlight is very dim.

Handbrake is currently fitted for but not with, after the missus went for a nice long drive with it on.

Could do with a major service. It’s been about 5 years since belts were done etc.

It has the wrong suspension fitted. 109 parabolic springs instead of 88s. Either needs new springs or a leaf taken out of the back.

For an old Landy it sounds spot on!

TamH70

MIA

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Bin it and buy a modern pickup.
We have a pair of Hiluxs on the farm that I can use anytime I want.

Neither are as fun.
748B3E26-2BCB-410F-A50F-FDEFCF80CE54.jpeg
D6B34DBE-50B8-4DBB-9D6A-88BD1E18EAF4.jpeg
065EC9BE-1225-4EFA-93C9-06B7F50AB4EC.jpeg

It’s a few years since I used them ( I just use Sam now).But Gibsons at Kendal were top notch as well and seemed to cater for a lot of the bullock walloping end of the trade in defenders .Not too savage with the pen either.
Though as I said it was a few years ago.

There is a weird steering issue. I know these things don’t exactly have precision handling but it’s starting to wander all over the place. I’ve checked the steering box and taken a shim out of the swivel pins but it’s still happening. It had a new steering relay not too long ago. Seems to be slowly getting worse
Drink less before getting behind the wheel.
Definitely related. Remove empty bottle from under passenger seat/battery stowage.

Effect from closing one eye whilst driving.

Yeah, right - the wings are on the piss....

Euphemism?

I'll leave it there, M'Lord.

Truxx

LE

Happy to spend an hour looking over it if you like. You can drink disgustingly strong Italian coffee while I clamber over it laughing like a mad thing and swearing a lot.

You know where we are. Pick a half decent day as it will involve me limbo dancing and loafing around on the floor but otherwise just turn up.

Depending how terrible it is we can come up with a plan to get it sorted.

If you want biccie bring some. If the kids want a wander round that's cool too.

Last edited:

Latest Threads