Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Land Rover horror stories

View attachment 521501

£2,950 Land Rover Freelander 2 2.2 TD4 S 5dr 2008
  • 150,000 miles
  • 2.2L
  • Manual
  • Diesel
" THE CAR STARTS AND DRIVES AS IT SHOULD, HOWEVER IT HAS A WHINE WHILE DRIVING, DOESN'T AFFECT THE DRIVE OF THE CAR , MIGHT BE SOME WHEEL BEARINGS "

Firstly , what might the whine be , secondly , what else is there to look out for on this model & year ( someone suggested dodgy electrics ? ) Lastly , is the price about right ( not knowing what the whining is about ? )
I currently have a Fourtrack , but am rapidly losing the battle with rust and am looking for something a bit more modern , mainly for shooting , so a fair bit of off road work

You'd need to listen as to where the whine is coming from. I'd put some money on the rear diff. They came out of the factory with nose bearings that were too small and that put too much pressure on the gearing. Many whine and many fail.

Not that expensive, in the grand scheme of things. About £500 for an upgraded whole rear diff.

Could be elsewhere too though, but that would be my first point of call, unless you have paperwork to say that it's been done.

Complete. What people do, instead of replacing the VCU, they simply drop off the rear propshaft and this puts it into Front Wheel Drive only, or Mondo mode as it's often called. Fairly easy to put back into 4wd, but whether its worth the expense is a different matter.

There are some other issues though, and the main one being that your insurance could be invalidated as the car is type approved as a 4wd, and making that change is classed as a modification. You'd need to tell the insurers, to be sure. Many don't though.

There are some very sneaky tricks that people do too to get around it. The IRD takes the power from the gearbox and sends it to the front wheels and back to the VCU via the front propshaft. Missing that, or the rear, propshaft is a dead giveaway. So, you can now buy IRD's that are a shell only, you fit all the propshafts but they are for show only.

I liked our Freelander 1. It was what it was. Very comfortable and very reliable. We only ever had one issue with it and that was quick to fix. Of course, not all are like that.

Weak points? Check the rear tool box/cubby box. That may well be full of water. Fix? drill a hole in it to let the water out! You'll almost certainly never find out where the water is coming from.....
He was not trying to sell it to me! He was trying to point out how you could keep them on the road if you looked after/fettled them. It was the dealership toy.

What impressed me was how he claimed they had never had to take the body off a Disco 3/4 yet.

He was not trying to sell it to me! He was trying to point out how you could keep them on the road if you looked after/fettled them. It was the dealership toy.

What impressed me was how he claimed they had never had to take the body off a Disco 3/4 yet.
Deffo, they will all run for ages if looked after.

The only time I've seen 4's with the body off were when they were having the engine rebuilt after the snapped crank. Apparently, LR don't want to know and cranks weren't even available through LR Parts. They just want to sell you a complete engine.

My guy gets aftermarket, stronger, cranks and rebuilds. Still a 4 figure bill, but many times cheaper than a replacement engine.

He, like many independents, have found ways of getting turbos off 3/4's without the body off.

That said, he can take the body off in just over an hour, so it's not that serious.

Deffo, they will all run for ages if looked after.

The only time I've seen 4's with the body off were when they were having the engine rebuilt after the snapped crank. Apparently, LR don't want to know and cranks weren't even available through LR Parts. They just want to sell you a complete engine.

My guy gets aftermarket, stronger, cranks and rebuilds. Still a 4 figure bill, but many times cheaper than a replacement engine.

He, like many independents, have found ways of getting turbos off 3/4's without the body off.

That said, he can take the body off in just over an hour, so it's not that serious.
Who’s your independent?

Little guy near me. Knows everything there is to know. Doesn't advertise or have a web site. All word of mouth.....if you are in, or near Wilts, I'll introduce you....I'd never have anyone else look after mine now.

The only time I've seen 4's with the body off were when they were having the engine rebuilt after the snapped crank. Apparently, LR don't want to know and cranks weren't even available through LR Parts.
Now that LR did do with the classic. It seems that the early Detuned V8's for them had problems with the webbs. Result I had a cracked crank on mine. Fortunately it was Old tech even then so a slightly later model of the engine had fixed it. But the last time they fitted the BM/Buick V8's was in the SD1 before their upgrades. But the 5B's 6's and SD;'s were fine. It seems the problems were down to low resonances on the detuned ones were throwing the the crank out of tune with the webbs. A Cross bracer bolt in the Webbs fixed it. No Body off for that one- just a straight easi(ish) swap

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
View attachment 521501

£2,950 Land Rover Freelander 2 2.2 TD4 S 5dr 2008
  • 150,000 miles
  • 2.2L
  • Manual
  • Diesel
" THE CAR STARTS AND DRIVES AS IT SHOULD, HOWEVER IT HAS A WHINE WHILE DRIVING, DOESN'T AFFECT THE DRIVE OF THE CAR , MIGHT BE SOME WHEEL BEARINGS "

Firstly , what might the whine be , secondly , what else is there to look out for on this model & year ( someone suggested dodgy electrics ? ) Lastly , is the price about right ( not knowing what the whining is about ? )
I currently have a Fourtrack , but am rapidly losing the battle with rust and am looking for something a bit more modern , mainly for shooting , so a fair bit of off road work

Seems expensive to me. They start at around 2500 quid on Autotrader and that’s for ones without dodgy noises.

I wouldn’t pay more than 2 grand for that. Potentially big bills on the horizon.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Snow.
55962945-6665-4516-8BE4-B83112F3CC53.jpeg
522127BA-18ED-46A4-A56D-32A1BBE8A9D1.jpeg
D8F25FF4-A76F-4291-A64B-F66AFC9686D7.jpeg
8095669E-4532-4E2E-BD3E-4BFE1B44D3E0.jpeg
76B016B0-870E-44EC-AE73-EC5C5D6906B3.jpeg
58E1CAF5-DC6F-4D6F-9391-5881C2D3A102.jpeg

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I found this today on FB marketplace in Perth, Australia. Actual location is a paddock 400km north of Perth.

Just over 100 quid for a restorable Series 2.

Very little rust here due to the weather and high temps.

Someone sent me this one today.

Looks in similar nick but they want 2 grand for it.

Yeah cheers.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Which reminds me, I must plumb in the wiring for the heated seats in mine...

I was thinking about putting some heated pads in mine, but the idea of wiring them up gives me a headache.

The electrics are dodgy as **** on mine as it is. She seems to blow a light bulb every month or so and all of the switches just seem to do their own thing.

Adding anything else to the mix would probably kill it.