Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Land Rover horror stories

aardvark64

War Hero
Every day a school day - thanks! :)

aardvark64

War Hero
I've always replaced them (not my LR or money!) but I believe you can 'improve' them with polythene washers under the ball joint - no idea what size though.
If it wont simply tighten up remove mirror head, wrap a bit of ptfe tape around the ball and re-attach.
Inserted a slim tap washer on the top of each ball-joint and re-tightened. They stayed erect beautifully at warp factor 7 (70 clicks) on the local dual carriageway.

6mm Allen heads rather than Torx, it's amazing what a quick application of a wire brush will reveal...

Thanks for the help!

Inserted a slim tap washer on the top of each ball-joint and re-tightened. They stayed erect beautifully at warp factor 7 (70 clicks) on the local dual carriageway.

6mm Allen heads rather than Torx, it's amazing what a quick application of a wire brush will reveal...

Thanks for the help!

On a Toyota the door hinges would have rotted off :)

That's not a Safari roof.... that's a 'soft top'
This is a safari roof
View attachment 502336
The idea was that the air gap cooled the roof due to the compressed air (early air-con), in reality, the over roof was a sun screen as no-one kept the windows closed for long enough to notice the difference from the 'cooled' roof

Nice 109 though, just 2.54cm short of my username!

Didn't LR call them a "Tropical Roof"? There was also one for the truck cab, about the size of a dustbin lid.

A local entrepreneur in Moshi used to make stuff like that from old veggie oil containers (left) and made me a wooden Special of my own wagon (right):
IMG_0610[23966].jpg

Hideously expensive, though.

The geeks at Fast Lane Cars are pissing and moaning that their brand new Defender broke within a week of taking delivery. I don't understand - that's certainly normal jogging for Land Rover, no? :?

The geeks at Fast Lane Cars are pissing and moaning that their brand new Defender broke within a week of taking delivery. I don't understand - that's certainly normal jogging for Land Rover, no? :?

You know what this means don't you? We can't blame bolshie Brummy car-workers for their unreliability any more because the Defender isn't built in the UK.
Unreliability must actually be designed into the bloody things from the start.

You know what this means don't you? We can't blame bolshie Brummy car-workers for their unreliability any more because the Defender isn't built in the UK.
Unreliability must actually be designed into the bloody things from the start.
Pretty much bang on, Too complicated. I'm Afraid that the slow killing of British badged product is continuing. Sad but there you are. The choice of what you can have that will actually work reliably is dwindling. I'm slowly losing interest in the modern car.

Pretty much bang on, Too complicated. I'm Afraid that the slow killing of British badged product is continuing. Sad but there you are. The choice of what you can have that will actually work reliably is dwindling. I'm slowly losing interest in the modern car.
Other manufacturers manage complication without the same degree of unreliability.

2000AD

Old-Salt
I'm just about to pick up my Rangey from the garage after they've sorted the rotted out rear brakes after the handbrake failed on the MOT and pulled its springs and mechanism through! Not expecting a small bill.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Didn't LR call them a "Tropical Roof"? There was also one for the truck cab, about the size of a dustbin lid.
Tropical roof was the engineering / parts designation, Safari roof was the more popular name derived from where they were most used.

I'm just about to pick up my Rangey from the garage after they've sorted the rotted out rear brakes after the handbrake failed on the MOT and pulled its springs and mechanism through! Not expecting a small bill.

I believe if you can't mend 'em, you need to lease your range rover ?

2000AD

Old-Salt
Not as bad as I thought, 200 smackers to pull it apart both sides (and sweep up what had disintegrated!) and put it back together again and then free off the front left caliper that was a bit sticky. Another years ticket.
Normally I'd sort it myself but I'm ram jam with my last 3 months work before redundancy in the new year and a need to sort the house out in case I need to flog it sharpish and move. Plus shit weather and rain pissing down my neck while I wrestle with a recalcitrant rangey on the drive wasn't an enticing prospect!

Other manufacturers manage complication without the same degree of unreliability.
Airbus do a great job at unreliability. We took on a new A321 Neo in our airline and had to change two expensive flight computers, several hundred thousand euros worth. In the first week of service. Only saving grace was that it's pool exchange, so all we pay is a handling and turn around fee, but still...if it was a car,you'd throw it back to them.

Last edited:

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
based upon what sample size?
Average cost of some marques seems odd, there are a lot of LR's below the average, similarly, there are a lot of Mercs & Audi's above theirs
It looks like a tiny bit of confirmation bias has crept in and possibly selective sampling?

Latest Threads