Land Rover horror stories

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
A very custom job!

Well... more of a 'dress up' compared to their usual output, I was offered a position with them in November last year - abour three weeks before they went into administration (and became subsumed into LR SVO) Even though i'm now working for a Mercedes Dealer and have no affinity to the brand, I think I've got the better deal.

cymraeg

War Hero
Just got confirmation today off the tame isuzu whisperer that the troopers engine and flywheel conversion are all finished. Picking her up on friday and looking forward to some lanes and mountains in Wales next weekend.

About a week ago, my Defender (early model, 2.25 litre petrol, ex-MOD, left-hand drive) started making a rather worrying farting noise whenever the engine had to do any work, such as accelerating. Inspection showed that this was coming from somewhere on the left-hand side of the engine compartment (driver’s left). At first I thought it might be a loose connection at one of the hoses to or from the carburettor, but then I noticed exhaust blowing out into the engine compartment and am starting to suspect the washer that’s supposed to ensure a seal between the inlet manifold and the exhaust manifold, especially as to my untrained eye that washer looks decidedly dodgy.
20200904_170117.jpg

Before I go to the trouble of ordering and fitting replacement washers for the joints between inlet and exhaust manifolds, and between inlet manifold and engine, could someone better informed than me (which means basically everyone including my cat) give me an idea as to whether the funny noise and exhaust leak could be coming from the inlet manifold/exhaust manifold joint or whether something else is more likely.

Much obliged!

I was asked to help out with a spot of wiring on a mates Landy, he had a bit of a fire behind the dash.
I fitted a new loom and then did a tidy up using lacing tape (flat waxed tape), this was state of the ark back when I did my fitters training back in the 70’s. ;-)
It is a lot neater than tie wraps
AD2BD32F-C629-40D0-9191-90B30B93831C.jpeg
D4B17AA3-1E91-47E9-8DDD-54882FE33F07.jpeg
2AEA75EF-0CFD-475B-A939-5E41BA85C8AC.jpeg

4(T)

LE

aardvark64

War Hero
Does anyone else suffer from droopy wing mirrors? Go above 40 mph and the wind resistance pushes the mirrors out of alignment. The swing arms stay put, but the mirrors flop around. Means I get great views of the kerbs and white lines alongside, but not much else.

There are torx screws either side of the ball-joint at the base of the mirrors. I can't tighten these any further, but is it possible to pack out the ball-joint so it becomes harder to adjust?

Or do I need to replace them... :confused:

ETA: Series 3 109 LWB

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Does anyone else suffer from droopy wing mirrors? Go above 40 mph and the wind resistance pushes the mirrors out of alignment. The swing arms stay put, but the mirrors flop around. Means I get great views of the kerbs and white lines alongside, but not much else.

There are torx screws either side of the ball-joint at the base of the mirrors. I can't tighten these any further, but is it possible to pack out the ball-joint so it becomes harder to adjust?

I've always replaced them (not my LR or money!) but I believe you can 'improve' them with polythene washers under the ball joint - no idea what size though

ETA - " Series 3 109 LWB above 40mph" that's some hill you must live on! what is it 1:3? 1:2? I take it you have a winch to get it up there.... ;)

Last edited:

If it wont simply tighten up remove mirror head, wrap a bit of ptfe tape around the ball and re-attach.

About a week ago, my Defender (early model, 2.25 litre petrol, ex-MOD, left-hand drive) started making a rather worrying farting noise whenever the engine had to do any work, such as accelerating. Inspection showed that this was coming from somewhere on the left-hand side of the engine compartment (driver’s left). At first I thought it might be a loose connection at one of the hoses to or from the carburettor, but then I noticed exhaust blowing out into the engine compartment and am starting to suspect the washer that’s supposed to ensure a seal between the inlet manifold and the exhaust manifold, especially as to my untrained eye that washer looks decidedly dodgy.
View attachment 501931

Before I go to the trouble of ordering and fitting replacement washers for the joints between inlet and exhaust manifolds, and between inlet manifold and engine, could someone better informed than me (which means basically everyone including my cat) give me an idea as to whether the funny noise and exhaust leak could be coming from the inlet manifold/exhaust manifold joint or whether something else is more likely.

Much obliged!

Manifold gaskets, easy job and costs buttons.
Soak the exhaust nuts/studs with Plusgas a few days before. You will likely break a couple but they are pennies to replace

You will need a stud extractor if you snap them

aardvark64

War Hero
ETA - " Series 3 109 LWB above 40mph" that's some hill you must live on! what is it 1:3? 1:2? I take it you have a winch to get it up there.... ;)
Thanks for the kind replies - will use some tape or a washer to pack out the space, will try that tomorrow.

With the 4-speed box, the beast maxes out at 50mph on the motorway. Maybe one day I'll win the pools and fit the over-drive.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Thanks for the kind replies - will use some tape or a washer to pack out the space, will try that tomorrow.

With the 4-speed box, the beast maxes out at 50mph on the motorway. Maybe one day I'll win the pools and fit the over-drive.
Has it got the Safari roof? that'll cost you 3-4 mph at full chat
It took five days to drive this one through Spain to Algeciras, to be fair, it did well once in the Sahara, just a pain to get there and back, still, the support vehicle managed 55mpg...
1599341026947.jpeg

The photo is from Macanterre in France, an old WWII German test & development location for the Afrika Corps, much smaller than Bledowska but the sand was more 'African'

aardvark64

War Hero
Yes, it has the safari roof. It's an ex-army 109: I have a typed-up summary of the service history somewhere.

The Pegaus stickers were put there by a previous owner, who had some sort of connection. I kept them, 'cos he was a really nice old boy. However, the service history says it was used and abused by various Highland battalions before ending up at Larkhill in the very early 80s. Got struck off charge there and was disposed of in the usual way.

Would like to get the rotary 6-way headlight switch working again. I have the rear convoy light wired to the side-lights at the moment.

Should stop now, mayhap this needs to go on a separate thread. Horror story it most certainly isn't.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Yes, it has the safari roof. It's an ex-army 109: I have a typed-up summary of the service history somewhere.

The Pegaus stickers were put there by a previous owner, who had some sort of connection. I kept them, 'cos he was a really nice old boy. However, the service history says it was used and abused by various Highland battalions before ending up at Larkhill in the very early 80s. Got struck off charge there and was disposed of in the usual way.

Would like to get the rotary 6-way headlight switch working again. I have the rear convoy light wired to the side-lights at the moment.

Should stop now, mayhap this needs to go on a separate thread. Horror story it most certainly isn't.
That's not a Safari roof.... that's a 'soft top'
This is a safari roof
1599343478058.png

The idea was that the air gap cooled the roof due to the compressed air (early air-con), in reality, the over roof was a sun screen as no-one kept the windows closed for long enough to notice the difference from the 'cooled' roof

Nice 109 though, just 2.54cm short of my username!

Latest Threads