Land Rover horror stories

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
I think the LandRovers are stalking me...
This appeared in the car park at work
IMG_20200709_095627.jpg

IMG_20200709_095644.jpg

cymraeg

War Hero
Dropped the trooper off for its engine conversion yesterday. Couple of weeks wait now while they rebuild the engine tgats going in her and fitment. On the plus side wife has suggested I need winch trays front and back.

Wondering what she is plotting

Dropped the trooper off for its engine conversion yesterday. Couple of weeks wait now while they rebuild the engine tgats going in her and fitment. On the plus side wife has suggested I need winch trays front and back.

Google-
Hung, drawn and quartered

Then see if you can guess which bit she's thinking about....

Dunno mate but if she means it she's a keeper ;-)

cymraeg

War Hero
Dunno mate but if she means it she's a keeper ;-)
To be fair mate some of the stuff I've done in the past she is still yet to knock my bollocks in. She is a good old gurl

RBMK

War Hero
Very nice motor.
What was the fuel line solution?
I'm glad that speedo is calibrated in kph and not mph!

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Very nice motor.
Managed to get a pair of very lightly used secondhand ones.

Not OEM but they fit and they work. They actually feel a lot more solid than the originals.

It was originally a Swiss car, hence the speedo in KPH.

Left hand drive is usually better on cars like this. The Italians have a habit of bodgeneering RHD versions of their cars almost out of spite. Anyone who’s driven a 1970s Alfa with all the clocks pointing at the passenger and pedal box in the wrong place will understand.

Also you can give pedestrians and cyclists a gentle open palmed slap on the buttocks as you drive past.

Very nice motor.
Oh that's done it . . . :( !!

@Ravers probably thought he was "making good progress", even if they were KPH .

Now you've told him he can exceed the indicated KPH speed by +/- 50%, the rest of us should be aware. VERY AWARE!!

Not something i'd recommend doing with anything like a modern diesel, the high pressure pump relies upon the molecular size of diesel (which is larger than petrol) to behave like a float bearing and keep the pump vanes away from the pump body, 'diluting' with or trying to run on petrol can allow the pump vanes to be damaged which will send swarf to the injectors and back to tank. This is why many vehicle manufacturers specify replacement of LP & HP fuel systems in their entirety - or the vehicle is placed on a restricted warranty (i.e. no powertrain warranty) register. In reality, if (as in your case) the majority of fuel is correct, the only worry is the higher burn temperatures damaging the injector tips.
Some diesel engines have fuel systems that are designed to run on diesel/avtur (F34/44) mix for low temperature operation, of course, this then becomes a class1 fuel...... and a right bugger to extinguish.
Volvo Penta TAD1630GE is the first one that springs to mind, although the bonnet bulge would probably fail an MoT and the transmission adaptor plate would be interesting!
The Rover/VM 2.5 Diesel is pretty tolerant on fuel types, more so if an upgraded lift pump and pre-heater installed

Had a go at driving the PSNI tangi on a short tasking to NI in 2010
I learnt to drive in a Series IIa 110 Safari when 14

Me "Dad, can I have a go at driving the Landie please?"

Dad "...keys are behind reception, don't leave grounds and come back if you need help"

Is this the modern version of the £1.99 magazines that come with a 'free' different part every month? Only another 2353 months to go and you'll have a gleaming motor to play with. :)
£1.99 - read the small print: £1.99 1st issue, then £4.99 each for 2 to 50

I could never understand how peeps fell for it every January. Did anyone ever buy the full series?

RBMK

War Hero
£1.99 - read the small print: £1.99 1st issue, then £4.99 each for 2 to 50

I could never understand how peeps fell for it every January. Did anyone ever buy the full series?
Used to have a friend who ran a newsagent (until Sainsburys rocked up next door) and yes, people do buy the whole series (usually DeAgostini or similar).

He reckoned that they sold 5 or 6 per week of the build yourself a scale model of HMS Victory / Mallard / Millenium Falcon / Thunderbird 2 etc etc.

ZW Clanger

Old-Salt
So when I was In green I never really did much driving or significant miles in a Defender.
I now own a 2014 Puma as it suits the family need...plus I just love 110s and have yearned for one for a while.
It’s been through an Urban modification so is kitted out nicely and looks peachy.
Ive started doing quite a few miles in ‘Bones’...today for example I drove from Suffolk to Sth Brum after a weekend away, ok the air con isn’t the best so it was hatches open all the way...
Anyway I noticed significant heat coming from the handbrake and transmission area - handbrake bracket was roasting to the touch...also this the was transmitted through to the bottoms of the driver seat brackets.
Any ideas chaps?

So when I was In green I never really did much driving or significant miles in a Defender.
I now own a 2014 Puma as it suits the family need...plus I just love 110s and have yearned for one for a while.
It’s been through an Urban modification so is kitted out nicely and looks peachy.
Ive started doing quite a few miles in ‘Bones’...today for example I drove from Suffolk to Sth Brum after a weekend away, ok the air con isn’t the best so it was hatches open all the way...
Anyway I noticed significant heat coming from the handbrake and transmission area - handbrake bracket was roasting to the touch...also this the was transmitted through to the bottoms of the driver seat brackets.
Any ideas chaps?
I haven't laid underneath one for years, but assuming it's a drum brake at the back of the gearbox - brake shoes stuck in the "on" position?

theinventor

Old-Salt
Any ideas chaps?
For really good advice, join one of the forums, this one is good Land Rover Defender also, plenty of Facebook groups to join.

Any ideas chaps?
Its always warm down there - lot of heat frpm the gearbox

Obviously im not in the UK so no idea on weather - but if the heatings on the hot air blower on the Puma is straight onto the handbrake and yes its normal under those circumstances to burn youre bloody ankle on it

Any ideas chaps?
I would say it's normal especially if you have had the +32 degree weather we've had last few days....

Latest Threads