Land Rover horror stories

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
You betray a knowledge of things tractor ;-) 7250 was understated .....Nothing kills a Deere like a Magnum ;-)
I am from The Kingdom of Yorkshire... tractoring is in my DNA :salut:

Oops

War Hero
Now if you'd have posted this....
View attachment 487777
Neighbour I helped out as a kid bought a tractor that came with factory tour attached... Big deal in early 80's..
He didn't want to go so yours truly got the gig, three days watching em being built, playing around on em on their test track, farm, then car factory tour etc.....
One turned up in yard this Spring on demo...pitching against a Jcb Fastrac.
It was specced up, but the price started with a feckin '3'....

I thought Dm were obsolete once the Euro came into being!

I've driven a couple of unmodified ones offroad, too much torque even with proper throttle control and the transmission takes a dogs-age to lock up - great for hooning round the dunes of Oman, not great in anything approaching soft to muddy going.... The suspension needs some work as it's very road biased. - Note none of the above applies to the Nordic mil. spec. versions which are very capable and a completely different beast.
Yeah, I think it’s got to the point where only the milspec G.Wagens are suitable for life off tarmac, it’s been going that way for some time and I think the new G.Wagen is a different, softer vehicle to the old model, although that is still being made and evolved, not least because of the input from the Aussie military (that’s why the 6x6 Gs suddenly turned up).

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
...Looking forward to tomorrow!
Well that didn't go as planned....
Apparently due to 'adjustments and rationalisation' my role is no longer - I was offered a vacant position at the Merc. dealers with the option (for them) to fill-in at one of the group JLR dealers as required. A corresponding drop in wages after 90 days... Could be worse, especially as some competitors are laying off large numbers and in some cases, entire dealerships. From the way it was presented, it's not a temporary change either, which is a shame as I quite enjoyed the day to day challenges, on the upside, it's about 12 minutes from home and i'm already qualified with Merc. as a Systems Tech. and EV tech.

Well that didn't go as planned....
Apparently due to 'adjustments and rationalisation' my role is no longer - I was offered a vacant position at the Merc. dealers with the option (for them) to fill-in at one of the group JLR dealers as required. A corresponding drop in wages after 90 days... Could be worse, especially as some competitors are laying off large numbers and in some cases, entire dealerships. From the way it was presented, it's not a temporary change either, which is a shame as I quite enjoyed the day to day challenges, on the upside, it's about 12 minutes from home and i'm already qualified with Merc. as a Systems Tech. and EV tech.

For what its worth, all three of the Mercedes commercial dealers I deal with sent 50% of their staff home in April and not all of them have come back.

One of my lorries had its MOT extended because of Kungflu (not something I'm really comfortable with) and its just been tested today.
dealer is furiously pushing work through the workshops now at great pace trying to get back up to full speed.
Our DAF agent is no better off and neither them have run full night or day shifts for a couple of months now.

Not much of a consolation to you but I reckon half the Mercedes employees in the country probably haven't got any work right now.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
For what its worth, all three of the Mercedes commercial dealers I deal with sent 50% of their staff home in April and not all of them have come back.

One of my lorries had its MOT extended because of Kungflu (not something I'm really comfortable with) and its just been tested today.
dealer is furiously pushing work through the workshops now at great pace trying to get back up to full speed.
Our DAF agent is no better off and neither them have run full night or day shifts for a couple of months now.

Not much of a consolation to you but I reckon half the Mercedes employees in the country probably haven't got any work right now.
Most of the group dealerships bar VW / Audi are pretty much up to 80% capacity - passenger cars only though, no commercial vehicles although sone have light vans in the range.
Pentagon Group are faring quite badly, especially as they took over some of Sytners cast-offs earlier in the year.
At least I wasn't just made redundant, the dealership management were just as suprised as I was but said they were happy to have me with them on a full time basis, obviously the drop in income isn't great but i'll be able to earn bonus which wasn't available to me in my previous position. The motor trade is very much of a merry-go-round so any decent tech's will soon find work once things stabilise. I think marques that have a high fleet content to their owners are seeing early return to dealerships as the fleet companies insist the drivers catch up with maintenance work, I'd have thought the same would apply to commercial fleets as well.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The saga continues.

Decided to bite the bullet and just buy the correct part.

Ordered it and made plans to use the car this weekend.

DHL drops off a parcel. I’m immediately suspicious as it feels way too light. Open it up and I’m now the proud owner of a random electrical cable for a Maserati Granturismo.

Great.
B9A0DC22-EAA1-4DF8-AF1A-DAC406C8600C.jpeg

LARD

LE
Typical of DHL! Drop it, Hide it, Loose it.....

RBMK

Old-Salt
Mercedes "licensed" both petrol and diesel.
The oil burner was the Merc 2.9 with 120 bhp.
Evidently they were a fairly reasonable alternative to a Jeep.

The saga continues.

Decided to bite the bullet and just buy the correct part.

Ordered it and made plans to use the car this weekend.

DHL drops off a parcel. I’m immediately suspicious as it feels way too light. Open it up and I’m now the proud owner of a random electrical cable for a Maserati Granturismo.

Great.View attachment 488123
Is this the modern version of the £1.99 magazines that come with a 'free' different part every month? Only another 2353 months to go and you'll have a gleaming motor to play with. :)

Latest Threads