Land Rover horror stories

RBMK

War Hero
I once put 20 litres of fuel into my Merc C class. Fortunately I realised and then filled the rest of the 69 litre tank with Diesel.

Then drove it round for several hours to burn through the contaminated fuel and then refilled it.

Other than taking a few turns to start it was fine and actually ran perfectly once started. After I got it down to half a tank I refilled it with Diesel Super and it was totally fine afterwards. Kept the car for another 12 months and it had no ill effects. Only sold it because the timing chain was starting to rattle at 115,000 miles.

Only time in 35 years I have ever mis-fuelled. We have 4 cars in the family, 2 petrol and 2 diesel. My cars are one Diesel and one petrol.

Cost me half a tank of fuel and half a day driving round aimlessly.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
That or it’s twin drove past me in Edinburgh today. Didn’t clock the reg as I stood in shock and horror as it passed.
Decent engine sound, exhausts exiting in front of the rear offside wheel but overall ghastly.
It won't be that one, it's awaiting parts.... and very far from Edinburgh.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
I once put 20 litres of fuel into my Merc C class. Fortunately I realised and then filled the rest of the 69 litre tank with Diesel.

Then drove it round for several hours to burn through the contaminated fuel and then refilled it.

Other than taking a few turns to start it was fine and actually ran perfectly once started. After I got it down to half a tank I refilled it with Diesel Super and it was totally fine afterwards. Kept the car for another 12 months and it had no ill effects. Only sold it because the timing chain was starting to rattle at 115,000 miles.

Only time in 35 years I have ever mis-fuelled. We have 4 cars in the family, 2 petrol and 2 diesel. My cars are one Diesel and one petrol.

Cost me half a tank of fuel and half a day driving round aimlessly.
Not something i'd recommend doing with anything like a modern diesel, the high pressure pump relies upon the molecular size of diesel (which is larger than petrol) to behave like a float bearing and keep the pump vanes away from the pump body, 'diluting' with or trying to run on petrol can allow the pump vanes to be damaged which will send swarf to the injectors and back to tank. This is why many vehicle manufacturers specify replacement of LP & HP fuel systems in their entirety - or the vehicle is placed on a restricted warranty (i.e. no powertrain warranty) register. In reality, if (as in your case) the majority of fuel is correct, the only worry is the higher burn temperatures damaging the injector tips.
Some diesel engines have fuel systems that are designed to run on diesel/avtur (F34/44) mix for low temperature operation, of course, this then becomes a class1 fuel...... and a right bugger to extinguish.
Volvo Penta TAD1630GE is the first one that springs to mind, although the bonnet bulge would probably fail an MoT and the transmission adaptor plate would be interesting!

chrismcd

Old-Salt
I have done this job on one Dairy farm JCB more than once as they didn't listen and continued to fill it occasionally from cans .....often old dairy chemical 20L cans .... You can only do so much.....;-)
I used to sell the dairy chemicals - we looked at doing returns and recycling. The recyclers just laughed when we said where the old drums were coming from!

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Take all that plasticy crap off the lower parts, bolt on a decent set of wheels and tyres and that could be damn good off roader.
I've driven a couple of unmodified ones offroad, too much torque even with proper throttle control and the transmission takes a dogs-age to lock up - great for hooning round the dunes of Oman, not great in anything approaching soft to muddy going.... The suspension needs some work as it's very road biased. - Note none of the above applies to the Nordic mil. spec. versions which are very capable and a completely different beast.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer

Truxx

LE
Firstly, the hex on the fuel rail isn't for the fitting to be removed from the rail, it's to counter-hold the fuel rail so the nut on the hose can be torqued correctly without twisting or cracking the fuel rail.
The flare does appear to be BSP as there is what looks like an undercut in the fitting on the fuel rail.
The thread is probably M14 x 1.5 not M4, I suspect Pirtek are using pre-made hose ends which is why they cant provide a metric flare nut over a BSP flared pipe. If you can find out the fuel system manufacturer, it's possible their UK importer / service agents may be able to source repair parts which Pirtek could swage onto a new hose for you.
Alternatively, talk to these people, maybe send them the hose to get some ends made up for Pirtek to assemble?
Pirtek?

Wash your mouth out.

@Ravers if you want pipes making up go to PSSI on the Gilwilly ind estate in Penrith.

RBMK

War Hero
Not something i'd recommend doing with anything like a modern diesel, the high pressure pump relies upon the molecular size of diesel (which is larger than petrol) to behave like a float bearing and keep the pump vanes away from the pump body, 'diluting' with or trying to run on petrol can allow the pump vanes to be damaged which will send swarf to the injectors and back to tank. This is why many vehicle manufacturers specify replacement of LP & HP fuel systems in their entirety - or the vehicle is placed on a restricted warranty (i.e. no powertrain warranty) register. In reality, if (as in your case) the majority of fuel is correct, the only worry is the higher burn temperatures damaging the injector tips.
Some diesel engines have fuel systems that are designed to run on diesel/avtur (F34/44) mix for low temperature operation, of course, this then becomes a class1 fuel...... and a right bugger to extinguish.
Volvo Penta TAD1630GE is the first one that springs to mind, although the bonnet bulge would probably fail an MoT and the transmission adaptor plate would be interesting!
Fortunately it was only less than 20 litres in 70 so wasn't too bothered.
It didn't seem to do any harm as I sold the car 10,000 miles later and it was still fine other than the bl**dy timing chain.
Mercedes OM651 engine POS cheapskate simplex timing chain instead of duplex.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Fortunately it was only less than 20 litres in 70 so wasn't too bothered.
It didn't seem to do any harm as I sold the car 10,000 miles later and it was still fine other than the bl**dy timing chain.
Mercedes OM651 engine POS cheapskate simplex timing chain instead of duplex.
The Merc. I was looking at today has a potential 'emerging concern' issue, it's got to stay in the poorly bay for a few days yet whilst Germany decide what to do. (nuke it from a low orbit would be my choice...) When asked what to tell the owner I gave my default 'well, nothing lasts forever' reply as an offhand comedy 'back office' only reply. The apparently new to the job Service Advisor promptly rang the owner and relayed my reply.
Looking forward to tomorrow!

RBMK

War Hero
Merc OM 651 engine has known issues with timing chain and tensioner from 80k miles onwards. The chain isn't up to the job, stretches and wears the gear teeth then eventually either snaps or else jumps a tooth bending the valves. Dealer price £2600, indie price £1500.

Indie comment to me: Replace chain, tensioner, guide and all 3 gears. 8 hours labour and the parts ain't cheap. Chain is at the back of the engine.

I have to say that in contrast a LR TD5 will go forever given regular oil changes. Unfortunately it will probably need a new fuel pressure regulator, if it's an early one with plastic head dowels then you'll need a new head gasket and metal dowels and also need new injector seals and a new water pump.

Then the rest of the car will fall apart and the engine will be reconditioned and put in a boat.

One was a brand new Merc, and the mechanic from the dealer wanted to replace everything.
Injectors, fuel lines, Catalyist, even the tank.
I drained the tank and took it for a good spin and all was fine.
The difference between you was as a main dealer tech he had to maintain the warranty of the vehicle....you just fixed it ...if the injection failed 3 weeks later no come back on you .....he would have had to justify every action and part on his repair , take pictures etc and if it failed in 3 weeks the cost of repair came off his workshops budget not from Merc.....

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Merc OM 651 engine has known issues with timing chain and tensioner from 80k miles onwards. The chain isn't up to the job, stretches and wears the gear teeth then eventually either snaps or else jumps a tooth bending the valves. Dealer price £2600, indie price £1500.

Indie comment to me: Replace chain, tensioner, guide and all 3 gears. 8 hours labour and the parts ain't cheap. Chain is at the back of the engine.

I have to say that in contrast a LR TD5 will go forever given regular oil changes. Unfortunately it will probably need a new fuel pressure regulator, if it's an early one with plastic head dowels then you'll need a new head gasket and metal dowels and also need new injector seals and a new water pump.

Then the rest of the car will fall apart and the engine will be reconditioned and put in a boat.
FP reg - still bread & butter work - some are on their third or fourth one, same goes for injector seals & water pump. Probably unpopular to say to Landroverists but the Td4 in the 2007 Defender onwards isn't a bad engine - once it's had the EGR / vac. pump seals replaced. I took three sets of them to Morocco in '08, could have done with four sets...

Oops

War Hero
The Merc. I was looking at today has a potential 'emerging concern' issue, it's got to stay in the poorly bay for a few days yet whilst Germany decide what to do. (nuke it from a low orbit would be my choice...) When asked what to tell the owner I gave my default 'well, nothing lasts forever' reply as an offhand comedy 'back office' only reply. The apparently new to the job Service Advisor promptly rang the owner and relayed my reply.
Looking forward to tomorrow!
I wish I could give you more than one 'funny'...
If as the reg. suggests he's connected to the 'entertainment industry' your flippant reply might result in some homies paying you a visit with their 'Ak's' cos yous disrespectin like, innit'

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
I wish I could give you more than one 'funny'...
If as the reg. suggests he's connected to the 'entertainment industry' your flippant reply might result in some homies paying you a visit with their 'Ak's' cos yous disrespectin like, innit'
The Brabus abomination wasn't the reason I was there - the owner of said abomination is the son of a property magnate apparently - makes no difference to me how long any vehicle stays in the poorly bay, every night i'm driving home in my LandRover ;)

Or something else if it's broke.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
I saw a metallic red G-Wagon this week & liked the look of it , looked rand new & quite understated
Understated compare to what? The Donald? Case IH 7250? Steiger 425?