Land Rover horror stories

" . . . . . I'm sorry @ugly it (the original), is polluting, and its CRAP to drive" ;) .

For something sparking fond memories but universally hated for how shite they were (from a reliability perspective) they dont half generate a lot of discussion!

Just had a pm from the mrs' cousin who runs the design team for the brakes and hydraulics for Jaguar Landrover asking me if I like it.

I said I need to drive one
Is it squaddie proof?
prefer the 110
reminds me of a Disco 4
It will kill the new Discovery.

Lets see what he comes back with!

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I had the delight of driving a mate’s Freelander 1 yesterday.

By the Christ it was ******* shit.

Message ends.

Last edited:

Message ends.
And yet - back-in-the-day - it was the market leader throughout the whole of Europe . . . although in a (still) new market segment, that did not (then) have many competitors.

ugly

LE
And yet - back-in-the-day - it was the market leader throughout the whole of Europe . . . although in a (still) new market segment, that did not (then) have many competitors.
There was plenty of competition and better priced, prising surplus jeeps out of European militaries wasnt easy though. To be honest it did set a high benchmark and it wasnt until Santana got the build for Suzuki that we saw anything reasonable on a budget.

So feedback from the Mrs' cousin is the 90 will be out 3 months after the 110, so looks like December/January.

The 90 is the cool car but people will leave the dealerships with the 110 as its more practical.

The view is the new Defender will kill the Disco but they will live with it.

So went into a dealership to kick the tyre and:

• They arent expecting to have the first 110s shipped until February which means not on the road til March (new plate)
  • They are being told the 90 will be a year after the 110 (mrs cousin reckons 3 months)
  • 40 orders on first day and they are insisting on a 5k deposit as there were 400 Velars rejected when they arrived as the customers had ordered them without seeing it in the flesh and when it turned up it was shite
  • They had a play with the new configuration tool and before they new it the 110 was up to £85K!!!!
  • 90 will be about 10k cheaper
  • people will be shocked when they see the price

• They arent expecting to have the first 110s shipped until February which means not on the road til March (new plate)
  • They are being told the 90 will be a year after the 110 (mrs cousin reckons 3 months)
  • 40 orders on first day and they are insisting on a 5k deposit as there were 400 Velars rejected when they arrived as the customers had ordered them without seeing it in the flesh and when it turned up it was shite
  • They had a play with the new configuration tool and before they new it the 110 was up to £85K!!!!
The Velar does look sleek and good from outside though - never been in one.

Blogg

LE

Played with the online version.

110, base spec. , steel wheels, lowest engine, 5 seats and only option being metallic paint plus a full height dog guard.

Thick end of £50k

Some ludicrous options available

Message ends.
There was plenty of competition and better priced, prising surplus jeeps out of European militaries wasnt easy though. To be honest it did set a high benchmark and it wasnt until Santana got the build for Suzuki that we saw anything reasonable on a budget.
Are you/we still talking about the same vehicle - the "Yummy Mummies" school-run special, first mentioned by @Ravers ?!

1568211440288.png

:

Published by: Keith Adams, AROnline, on 10 September 2019.

Opinion : Why Land Rover has done the right thing.

I’ve been in Frankfurt all day having fun with my day job, but at least I had plenty of time to have a good look around the Land Rover Defender, which seems to have lit up the Internet in a very big way today. In one way, I’m really encouraged by this, because it proves that, even in this clogged-up, noisy world we live in, if a car’s special enough, its launch can still have major cut through. But then, so it should be – the Land Rover Defender is a national institution, known and loved by many, many people in the UK, the Commonwealth, Europe and (less so) North America. It’s as recognisable as a Mini or a Volkswagen Beetle, and its influence on car culture far exceeds the number of examples sold.

In short, we all love the Defender, and we’ve been waiting for a very long time for the new one to arrive and carry on the classic’s good work. And I don’t envy the task Land Rover has had in doing this. Rather like Rover had been grappling with the matter of replacing the Mini several times since the early 1970s before getting really serious in the 1990s, JLR had been agonising over this one for years. We all thought the DC100 Concept marked the imminent arrival of a new Defender, it ended up being a further eight years before it saw the light of day.

But now it’s here, and it’s all feeling rather familiar. I don’t mean the styling – yes, that’s not exactly earth-shattering and pretty much what we expected – but the reaction it’s received. The Internet has been alight with criticism and praise for the new car, with many current (classic) Defender owners bemoaning the new car as being too urbane to be a true Defender…

[Full article - follow link . . .]

1568548500509.png

Published by: Martin Halliwell, AROnline, on 15 September 2019.

Opinion : Defender, an ex-insider’s view.

+ + + + + + + +

The new Land Rover Defender does everything that Defender did and more, it is a genuine successor to icon. Its design is rightly understated, but it is obviously a Defender. The engineering is not understated – this is also right. The engineering team at Gaydon have done a fantastic job. It would have been so easy to use the outgoing T5 chassis, stick on a Defender looking body and sell it at a lower starting price. Those Defender die-hards may say that this would be more like a credible replacement. This would have been a route to extinction of the Icon.

+ + + + + + + +

For all those people that think this is not a Defender – it was not possible to get the Defender you imagined – a low cost, go anywhere, farmer’s truck that is indestructible, wait and see if the Ineos effort is ever a reality. However it will need to be either huge volumes and £20k, or sub 10K per annum and £50k+. Neither of these seem likely.

+ + + + + + + +

https://www.aronline.co.uk/opini…/defender-an-insiders-view/

1568552156172.png

I'll take the green one plase
1568552459784.png

It will be worth 10x more in 5 years time and infinitely more in 10 years time when the new one is being recycled as razor blades.

Latest Threads