Land Rover horror stories

TamtamPWRR

War Hero
I'm actually saving money running an Audi now compared to what I was shelling out with Discoveries. On the other hand though, they were f ucking great to have and fun to drive about.

Oh and if any of you go and buy a poverty spec full fat with the pug derived V6 I will be forced to beat you with a shovel for your stupidity. It will be the first stage of a long and painfull period of expensive education.!
The L322 came with the gloriously under-powered BMW inline 6 diesel until the TDV8 PAS engine came along. Never fitted with the V6 diesel, that was reserved for the Discovery and Range Rover Sport

The L322 came with the gloriously under-powered BMW inline 6 diesel until the TDV8 PAS engine came along. Never fitted with the V6 diesel, that was reserved for the Discovery and Range Rover Sport
Nope I’ve peeked under the bonnet of a late one at Lloyd’s to be confronted with the horrid v6. ( base model big body.) eek.

Nope I’ve peeked under the bonnet of a late one at Lloyd’s to be confronted with the horrid v6. ( base model big body.) eek.
That'll be the new gen L405. Nice car, Range Rover? Not so sure.

The L322 was inflicted with the BMW tractor engine or the PAS Lion V8 for the diesel options

With regard to the PSA designed/Ford Dagenham produced V6 diesel engine.

Does anyone know if it has ever been replaced in a LR vehicle by an engine from another manufacturer?

I'm thinking a diesel engine from a Toyota 4x4, would have been a natural "upgrade", specifically for a Discovery 3.

1566572120143.jpeg

With regard to the PSA designed/Ford Dagenham produced V6 diesel engine.

Does anyone know if it has ever been replaced in a LR vehicle by an engine from another manufacturer?

I'm thinking a diesel engine from a Toyota 4x4, would have been a natural "upgrade", specifically for a Discovery 3.

View attachment 412386
Not to my knowledge but that's not much of a measure.

The garage we use at work has rebuilt quite a few Discovery V6 engines. He swears blind that the cause is always one of two things, cheap/incorrect oil or missed services.

He has a complete engine machining workshop, he isn't a back street garage.
If he says thats the case I've no reason to disbelieve him

I don’t think snapping crank webs, oil pumps falling into the sump or front drive belt idlers snapping off can be laid at cheap oils door.!
No idea, I'm a transport manager.
If I remember rightly he reckons that most of the engine failures he see's start with picking up a piston or two and everything follows on from there.

I'm no mechanic so I'd have to ask him for the full story

[DRIFT]

Posted for the purposes of geographical reminiscence of @ex_colonial ;) .

[/DRIFT]

[DRIFT]

[/DRIFT]
A good little film of the Discovery, but I wouldn't use one in Zimbabwe (SA; yes, probably). With a Toyota Surf, nice big wheels/tyres and a couple of spares, a big FO extra fuel tank and you won't go wrong. When I was there, mine was used daily on some very uneven ground; mostly bare rock and open-cast mine surfaces, and was outstanding in every way. The 3l diesel engine, of course, is a world-beater.
a.jpg

Before that was shipped from Osaka, I had this:
jeep.jpg

...which was great for bashing around the perimeter and frightening War Veterans at their poaching. I'm glad I didn't repeat the mistake at an earlier mining operation and import a small fleet of ex British Army SIII Landrovers; great initially but dead within six months.

Happiness is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[DRIFT]

[/DRIFT]

Sadly our LR's were the very basic short & long wheel base jobs with no fancy extras. We had virtually no ultra rocky tracks and when in the bush most were like the stuff seen at about 3" in the video, a lot of the graded roads were very dusty 7 -8 months of the year making it very difficult if you wanted to overtake and became quite corrugated. In the Wet season they often got washed out.

Nice lightweight, shame about the fizzy yellow stuff. Any other pictures?

RP.

Just got it running

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[DRIFT]

Eh!! Buy this before someone else does . . . !!

Engine: 2.4 litre Turbo Diesel

Body Type: Station Wagon

Tyre Size: 7.50R16

Date In Service: 2010

Mileage From: 24079

Condition From: Excellent

Guide price from: £19,500.00

Subject to UK VAT unless sold outside of the EU

Quantity: 1

Recently released from the MoD, Land rover Defender 110 RHD 5 door Station Wagon in Alaska White, fitted with 2.4 litre 122hp Puma Turbo Diesel, 6 speed gearbox with High / Low range and centre diff lock.

This vehicle features:
Power steering
Grey vinyl trim
Land Rover radio / CD player
Front and rear disc brakes
Front and rear anti roll bars
Bumper end caps
Heated rear window with rear wash / wipe.
Alpine roof lights
Slide open rear compartment side windows
Rear Step
Wolf HD Wheels and Michelin XZL Tyres
Rubber floor covering throughout, including load space
Warranted Mileage

Supplied registered with MoT until Sept 19.

phpThumb_generated_thumbnailjpg.jpeg

[/DRIFT]

Last edited:

Latest Threads