Land Rover horror stories

For those who have not (yet) discovered AUTOEXPRESS on-line/the inter-web, a LINK that might be of interest . . .

Published by: Jonathan Burn, AUTOEXPRESS magazine, on 27 December 2018.

New Land Rover Defender due in 2020: new spy shots and details

The new Land Rover Defender is shown testing again, with a 2020 release date and a likely starting price of £40k.

The all-new Land Rover Defender will be revealed within the next 12 months, likely to be towards the end of 2019, and new official images have given us our best look yet at the iconic SUV in development.

The latest image shows a prototype of the all-new Defender under going off-road testing in North America as part of its grueling test cycle. The vehicle will be subjected to temperatures as low as -40 Celsius and as high as 48 Celsius and at attitudes as high as 13,000ft.

View attachment 369157

(Copied on the FORD/auto industry thread).

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Tidying up, found a Land Rover (owner international) buying guide. It came free with LROI September 2008.
50pages free to home good or indifferent.

Tidying up, found a Land Rover (owner international) buying guide. It came free with LROI September 2008.
50pages free to home good or indifferent.
Only ONE!

I've got a "celler" full of automotive magazines (and manufacturers' brochures!), going back to 1970 :( !!

Last edited:
When I had the 300tdi Disco I spent several months looking for a reasonably priced Series / Defender in sensible condition. I must have looked at about 40 different ones including private sales and dealers.

I looked at one in an indie dealer near Wrexham, 20-odd years old County with 100k miles and somewhat untidy going for £10k.

The funniest was the 300tdi that a private seller wanted £12k for that had terminal rust in the bulkhead, multiple plates added to the chassis [covering holes], numerous non-original bits that added nothing to the vehicle and the interior had been hacked about to fit various equipment [radios, timers, holes for cables and brackets - you get the idea]. Seller was not impressed when I pushed my finger into some rusty patches followed by a rapid departure.

Eventually I gave up and bought a decent lowish mileage D2 TD5 for less than half the price of an equivalent Defender.

For those who have not (yet) discovered AUTOEXPRESS on-line/the inter-web, a LINK that might be of interest . . .

Published by: Jonathan Burn, AUTOEXPRESS magazine, on 27 December 2018.

The new Land Rover Defender is shown testing again, with a 2020 release date and a likely starting price of £40k.

The all-new Land Rover Defender will be revealed within the next 12 months, likely to be towards the end of 2019, and new official images have given us our best look yet at the iconic SUV in development.

The latest image shows a prototype of the all-new Defender under going off-road testing in North America as part of its grueling test cycle. The vehicle will be subjected to temperatures as low as -40 Celsius and as high as 48 Celsius and at attitudes as high as 13,000ft.

View attachment 369157

(Copied on the FORD/auto industry thread).
Isn't that just a Disco 3 or 4 ? TBH how can anything with silly low profile tyres be considered a serious off road vehicle ? The wheels and sidewalls would last all of 30 seconds off road on rocks/flints.
Even Toyota with their admittedly fairly crap ( well very crap ) Landcruiser commercial have put it on decent profile steel wheels and tyres .

Well, it had to happen! The 4.4 v8 L322 was impeccably behaved until 2 weeks ago when it decided to start misbehaving. It started seeping coolant from a split in the expansion bottle, the top end has developed a rattle and then following avoiding action when a dizzy bint decided to slam anchors on to turn right with no warning, the air suspension got confused, sent itself to max height and then went inop with no lights on the switch! A trip to my local independent LR workshop is in the offing to get them to plug in to diagnose this little wonder as none of the suggested methods to bring it back to life on the LR forums can resurrect it. To top that I think the vapouriser for the LPG system is bleeding gas into the cooling system as when the LPG was running you could smell gas when the cap was off the expansion bottle. The LPG is now tuned off as I don't relish sending myself sky high. I've just bought new membranes for the vapuriser to rebuild it. I suspect (and very much hope!) that the top end noise are the Vanos units that adjust the cam timing. I'm going to do an oil change and will be dropping the sump to make sure that the cam chain tensioner blades are not disintegrating and seeing if the oil change quietens things back down before I make any drastic plans to pull the front of the car to bits.

Well, it had to happen! The 4.4 v8 L322 was impeccably behaved until 2 weeks ago when it decided to start misbehaving. It started seeping coolant from a split in the expansion bottle, the top end has developed a rattle and then following avoiding action when a dizzy bint decided to slam anchors on to turn right with no warning, the air suspension got confused, sent itself to max height and then went inop with no lights on the switch! A trip to my local independent LR workshop is in the offing to get them to plug in to diagnose this little wonder as none of the suggested methods to bring it back to life on the LR forums can resurrect it. To top that I think the vapouriser for the LPG system is bleeding gas into the cooling system as when the LPG was running you could smell gas when the cap was off the expansion bottle. The LPG is now tuned off as I don't relish sending myself sky high. I've just bought new membranes for the vapuriser to rebuild it. I suspect (and very much hope!) that the top end noise are the Vanos units that adjust the cam timing. I'm going to do an oil change and will be dropping the sump to make sure that the cam chain tensioner blades are not disintegrating and seeing if the oil change quietens things back down before I make any drastic plans to pull the front of the car to bits.
And how you all laughed when I admitted I was tempted by a Touareg V10....

a gang who were stealing Land rovers, and Range rovers and stripping them have been put away, a garage not far from me
half a million quids worth of LRs nicked and stripped
odd how not one of the owners of these high value vehicles could be bothered to fit a tracking device
they only got caught when they nicked a motorhome and the owner followed the signals from the tracking device !!
Breakers yard exposed as centre of sophisticated 'chop shop' gang

The police station in our neighbouring village had a Defender supplied by Stratstones. It was pillaged of parts one night by cheeky tealeafs while parked up outside the station!

Right, took the sump off the V8. No debris showing so at present I think the chains and guides and tensioners might be ok. Sump is now back on and going to put fresh oil in tomorrow and see how it sounds

Oil now in, still rattling like a crowd of skeletons holding an orgy in a tank.
I think booking in for timing chains, guides and vanos units is now the most sensible move.

Oil now in, still rattling like a crowd of skeletons holding an orgy in a tank.
I think booking in for timing chains, guides and vanos units is now the most sensible move.

Many BMW V8's run for years with rattling Vanos with little ill effect. They are generally quite loud when faulty.
My L322 was the most unreliable Range Rover I ever had. It was the dog toffee BMW mechanicals that made it so.
The best and worst car in the world, often both on the same day

Many BMW V8's run for years with rattling Vanos with little ill effect. They are generally quite loud when faulty.
My L322 was the most unreliable Range Rover I ever had. It was the dog toffee BMW mechanicals that made it so.
The best and worst car in the world, often both on the same day
I have heard the same said before. Thing is, I'm of a paranoid disposition and will always be assuming that the rattle will turn to bang if I don't fix it!

Latest Threads