Land Rover horror stories

I’ve got a defender 90 on a 59 plate, Range Rover sport and G63 G wagon.

The defender has never missed a beat, puts a huge smile on my face every time I drove and does what it says on the tin. The other two, reliable as a naffi watch. Not sure why people say otherwise.

I’ve got a defender 90 on a 59 plate, Range Rover sport and G63 G wagon.

The defender has never missed a beat, puts a huge smile on my face every time I drove and does what it says on the tin. The other two, reliable as a naffi watch. Not sure why people say otherwise.
was it this chap who told of range rover great reliability ?

Been doing a bit of research into suspension set ups on old landies, in the hope of improving the absolutely horrendous ride and handling on mine.

It appears that the bloke I bought it from has fitted the wrong rear springs.

It’s got 4 leaf parabolic heavy duty springs on the back which are for heavily laden 109s and even One Tons.

Mine is a very light 88” and rarely has more than a dog and a shotgun in the back. It’s supposed to have 3 or even 2 leaf parabolic springs.

No wonder the thing feels like it’s on concrete springs and bounces around like Dolly Parton on a trampoline.

Will take a leaf out of each side and see if that improves things, if not it looks like I’m gonna be forking out for a whole new set of springs and shocks.
*Very* temporary solution; fill the back with cement bags and big rocks. Get *temporarily* used to doing less than 70 on the motorways. But the correct parabolics should be easy to source and are easy to fit (make sure you get a set!)

*Very* temporary solution; fill the back with cement bags and big rocks. Get *temporarily* used to doing less than 70 on the motorways. But the correct parabolics should be easy to source and are easy to fit (make sure you get a set!)
Better still, fill the back with lots of nubile nurses, female variety.
They will be able to comfort you and ease your aching bones if nothing else.

It’s a whole thread in itself. The good and the shysters.
My vote for the good, the Land Rover men at Kendal ( Gibson’s) , who
Are exceptional , and Cumbria Land Rover on gillwilly penrith I use now for the modern Range Rover with all its electrikery.
Main dealers in Carlisle or Kendal ? Just hideously expensive.
Anyone else got any to praise or shame?
you get a like for giving Darren and Sam (the hardest working man in Cumbria) a shout out. We even take the Mercs there.

Looks like a frickin gelded Prado (though with a 2.4 turbo diesel in most of the hi-lux range, gelding came as part of the specs...)

If it doesn't have the iconic 1HZ engine, its not a real land Cruiser... Toyota HZ engine - Wikipedia
That's because it essentially is a Prado (confusingly sold as a Land Cruiser in the UK and a Lexus varient in US) which in turn are largely a Hilux chassis & running gear in posh frocks.

So really it's just another body style varient, but one I like because it does not have a barn door tailgate and the rear window powers down (which is far more useful than it sounds)

But the engines are lacking. I had one on hire in the US for a while. V6 petrol and it was dire, huge mid range flat spots which coupled with odd transmission ratios is about the last thing you need in a mountainous area.

Lower speeds or on flat interstate absolutely fine. Uphill on steep inclines or twisty bits it bugged the shit out if me.

Personally I always preffered standard leaf springs over parabolics.
Worked perfectly well provided you lubricated them occasionally

Hard to find decent originals these days but you can get them, lots of nasty ones on the market though

Land Rover Multi Leaf Springs - Leaf Spring Manufacturer | Jones Springs

Bog standard high quality multi leaf springs are the way to go. Parabolics are fashionable but personally I think Land Rover knew best.
Its what was designed and developed for the vehicle, in good condition with decent quality they drive very nicely.

Everyone bungs on cheap heavy duty or parabolics in the mistaken belief they are making the vehicle better, what they are actually doing is making it better than the knackered old 30 year old springs that were on it.
What they should be doing is putting decent new oem type springs and making like it was originally
Fitting parabolics isn't better than new originals, they are just better than the siezed up ancient originals

Land Rover Multi Leaf Springs - Leaf Spring Manufacturer | Jones Springs

Bog standard high quality multi leaf springs are the way to go. Parabolics are fashionable but personally I think Land Rover knew best.
Its what was designed and developed for the vehicle, in good condition with decent quality they drive very nicely.

Everyone bungs on cheap heavy duty or parabolics in the mistaken belief they are making the vehicle better, what they are actually doing is making it better than the knackered old 30 year old springs that were on it.
What they should be doing is putting decent new oem type springs and making like it was originally
Fitting parabolics isn't better than new originals, they are just better than the siezed up ancient originals
We use Owen Springs. Fab company and they custom set them for us if asked.

We use Owen Springs. Fab company and they custom set them for us if asked.
who do they cope with the massive changes in payload ?

eg- if Lord Ravers take his wallet or not

I recall something about leaf springs during fitting the bolts should be torqued up with the weight of the vehicle on them. If the swinging end has been tightened weight off they may not operate freely. Is it worth checking the torque?

I could be completely wrong with the above though, as it's a long time since I played with an old landie.

RP.
All suspension geometry should be done on a perfectly flat surface with nothing tightened up until the weight of the vehicle is sat on its wheels.

What I would really like is Land Cruiser 70 series.

RHD verdions now made in Portugal but guess what?

Not certificated for EU emissions so all for the African market.
toyota.jpg

Vote Leave on the basis of wanting a 105?

Would be the ideal vehicle for brexitmageddon!

What I would really like is Land Cruiser 70 series.

RHD verdions now made in Portugal but guess what?

Not certificated for EU emissions so all for the African market.
Hmmm, there is one parked in the car park at the Shell offices in Aberdeen, was there only last week. Had UK reg on it.

I will make inquiries if I pass by there in the next couple of weeks

Hmmm, there is one parked in the car park at the Shell offices in Aberdeen, was there only last week. Had UK reg on it.

I will make inquiries if I pass by there in the next couple of weeks
These were up today

Mining, Fleet Vehicles, Plant, Machinery, Generators, Lighting Towers, Mining Stores & Yard Consumables Auction

The best way to decribe some is "well used"

One was a real gem:

DRIVERS SIDE DOOR MISSING, PARTS OF DASH REMOVED, ENGINE DISMANTLED, NO TRANSFER CASE, REAR DOOR SEVERAL WINDOWS REMOVED, NO KEY

Last edited:

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Bought some foil backed soundproofing stuff and have slapped a bit on the inside of the bonnet, front bulkhead and under the gearbox tunnel.

Seems to have made some difference. Not a lot but it’s noticeable.

Also made some door cards out of some 5 quid Amazon floor mats.

4CBDDCA3-0903-40EE-9A05-E069061285F7.jpeg
1EA23629-71E3-4E82-8A3D-64694187DD73.jpeg

Latest Threads