Land Rover horror stories

Big farm probably never uses them on road.
feb 2015 refusal

Mileage:
26,665 miles
+ 285 miles travelled since last MOT.
Refusal Notices
  • Nearside windscreen wiper does not clear the windscreen effectively (8.2.2)
  • Offside windscreen wiper does not clear the windscreen effectively (8.2.2)
  • Windscreen washer provides insufficient washer liquid (8.2.3)
  • Exhaust has a major leak of exhaust gases (7.1.2)
  • Offside steering pivot point has excessive play (2.2.b.1g)
  • Nearside front brake pipe excessively corroded (3.6.b.2c)
  • Offside front brake pipe excessively corroded (3.6.b.2c)
Advisory Notices
  • Nearside stop lamp slightly discoloured (1.2.1e)
  • Nearside rear rear position lamp(s) slightly discoloured (1.1.a.3e)
  • Offside front tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.e.1)
  • Nearside front brake hose has slight corrosion to ferrules (3.6.b.4e)
  • Offside front brake hose has slight corrosion to ferrules (3.6.b.4e)
  • Steering box has a slight oil leak (2.2.d.2e)
  • Nearside front brake hose slightly deteriorated (3.6.b.4d)
  • Offside front brake hose slightly deteriorated (3.6.b.4d)
  • Nearside wiper slow
  • Exhaust corroded
  • Oil leak
  • Prop-shaft universal joint worn
  • Both rear tyres age cracked and offside worn on inner edge
  • Both front tyres age cracked
  • Load area bracing sections corroded
  • Rear axle bracing section rotted through
  • Both front brake backplates excessivly corroded
  • Passenger footwell rotted through

if you don't use / maintain & can't dry store them what the pint if having them ?

Recent research from The Research Strategy Office (RSO) at Cambridge University on people who loved the TD5 Disco turns up some interesting results.

3% suffered severe potty training as a child.

7% were school teachers

2% were made to dress as a girl by wicked Aunties.

8% were Welsh.

97.4% were clueless when it came to buying off-road motors.

3% were married to a fat lass.

2% supported Sunderland AFC.
No, no,no,no, no but I once shagged a porky bird, no.

I had it for 5 years , it took us all over the place including France (twice), Scotland, Wales and Cornwall. It also carted things like a couple of tons of steel fence posts, half a kids football team, an industrial size barbecue. a marquee, piles of bricks, bags of sand, cement and gravel and paving slabs plus innumerable trips to the local tip.

However, it would come down with stupid faults every now and again, the sort of shit that no other manufacturer other than LR would have go wrong. Then it would drive me nuts and usually cost a minimum of £200 to fix.

It was a bit like being married to a bird who is gorgeous and can cook for England but a couple of times a year turns into a werewolf.

feb 2015 refusal

Mileage:
26,665 miles
+ 285 miles travelled since last MOT.
Refusal Notices
  • Nearside windscreen wiper does not clear the windscreen effectively (8.2.2)
  • Offside windscreen wiper does not clear the windscreen effectively (8.2.2)
  • Windscreen washer provides insufficient washer liquid (8.2.3)
  • Exhaust has a major leak of exhaust gases (7.1.2)
  • Offside steering pivot point has excessive play (2.2.b.1g)
  • Nearside front brake pipe excessively corroded (3.6.b.2c)
  • Offside front brake pipe excessively corroded (3.6.b.2c)
Advisory Notices
  • Nearside stop lamp slightly discoloured (1.2.1e)
  • Nearside rear rear position lamp(s) slightly discoloured (1.1.a.3e)
  • Offside front tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.e.1)
  • Nearside front brake hose has slight corrosion to ferrules (3.6.b.4e)
  • Offside front brake hose has slight corrosion to ferrules (3.6.b.4e)
  • Steering box has a slight oil leak (2.2.d.2e)
  • Nearside front brake hose slightly deteriorated (3.6.b.4d)
  • Offside front brake hose slightly deteriorated (3.6.b.4d)
  • Nearside wiper slow
  • Exhaust corroded
  • Oil leak
  • Prop-shaft universal joint worn
  • Both rear tyres age cracked and offside worn on inner edge
  • Both front tyres age cracked
  • Load area bracing sections corroded
  • Rear axle bracing section rotted through
  • Both front brake backplates excessivly corroded
  • Passenger footwell rotted through

if you don't use / maintain & can't dry store them what the pint if having them ?
How do you know how many miles it has done now if it is SORN and not been in for MOT service etc. The farmer/landowner may just be using it on his own land. It certainly looked like it was being used.

After previous experience don't want anything later than a 2004 Defender 90 TD5.

How do you know how many miles it has done now if it is SORN and not been in for MOT service etc.
MOT history is online

Sept 2005 25313
Sept 2006 25413
Sept 2007 25648
Sept 2008 25122
Sept 2009 25781
Feb 2012 25841
July 2013 26380
Feb 2015 26665

I've put more miles on a pair of slippers

it may have had an expensive overhall & be in daily use, but I suspect if mainly stands their & leaks...

MOT history is online

Sept 2005 25313
Sept 2006 25413
Sept 2007 25648
Sept 2008 25122
Sept 2009 25781
Feb 2012 25841
July 2013 26380
Feb 2015 26665

I've put more miles on a pair of slippers

it may have have had had an expensive overhall & be in daily use, but I suspect if mainly stands their & leaks...
Yes last detail 2015. Like I said the MK1 looks like it is being used. A bit like @Ravers landy just on the farm

greyfergie

MIA
Book Reviewer
Ok one on the left looks like its running and working
Changed my mind back to a III for the one on the right [plastic grill] but they can be swapped as people try and newify their vehicles [the wind mirrors look like a IIA] - they are the ultimate swap around vehicles though. Both worth a fair bit in parts if they're not working
Ok one on the left looks like its running and working
Go on forever - I've always loved em

Interesting chat with the mrs’ cousin at the weekend - he runs one of the design teams for jaguar landover.

It started with Land Rover pulled out of the military contract because of the damage that was being done to the brand by the snatch. They knew the army was using is fornsometjing it wasn’t designed for but the bad publicity was hurting, so they pulled the contract. Lots of them regret it now as they have lost the positives from the military contract, such as UN aid vehicles always being a Land Rover. Her went on to say that even if they wanted to get back into the military, they no longer have the technical skills as they’ve been lost, and all they can design and manufacture is luxury cars.

We went on to chat about the new defender which he says will cost 25k more than the last one. That’s because it’s on the ‘F Base’ which is the chassis and running gear of the Velar. They are worried that people won’t but it because of the price point and because the defender is now basically a luxury car with a sport SUV kid on it. He reckons the ride experience is stunning and the velar is the best truck they have ever built. He went on to say the best all round vehicle is with a shadow of a doubt the Range Rover sport as it’s got everything and does everything. I didn’t know this but the replacement is due out at some point soon.

So if I want a new defender, beat start saving your pennies.......

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Interesting chat with the mrs’ cousin at the weekend - he runs one of the design teams for jaguar landover.

It started with Land Rover pulled out of the military contract because of the damage that was being done to the brand by the snatch. They knew the army was using is fornsometjing it wasn’t designed for but the bad publicity was hurting, so they pulled the contract. Lots of them regret it now as they have lost the positives from the military contract, such as UN aid vehicles always being a Land Rover. Her went on to say that even if they wanted to get back into the military, they no longer have the technical skills as they’ve been lost, and all they can design and manufacture is luxury cars.

We went on to chat about the new defender which he says will cost 25k more than the last one. That’s because it’s on the ‘F Base’ which is the chassis and running gear of the Velar. They are worried that people won’t but it because of the price point and because the defender is now basically a luxury car with a sport SUV kid on it. He reckons the ride experience is stunning and the velar is the best truck they have ever built. He went on to say the best all round vehicle is with a shadow of a doubt the Range Rover sport as it’s got everything and does everything. I didn’t know this but the replacement is due out at some point soon.

So if I want a new defender, beat start saving your pennies.......
Interesting to hear.

I’ve heard both the Velar and F Pace (same chassis) are awful off road.

Will be interesting to see if JLR can fudge it into something that’ll work in the mud.

The price will completely kill the commercial market though.

What farmer wants to chuck a load of sheep in the back of a 50 grand car?

Her went on to say that even if they wanted to get back into the military, they no longer have the technical skills as they’ve been lost, and all they can design and manufacture is luxury cars.

Er, what technical skills did they have that were lost?

They spent fifty-odd years bodging an obsolete design on the cheap, without making any significant investment or design/quality improvement that might have kept the vehicle current and attractive to militaries.

I thought LR's were fantastic when in the army, but of course, I always had a trusty REME VM around! Since leaving, I've had a Lightweight, a Defender, and a Mk 1 Freelander (Petrol), which was bought new here in Norway in 1999 at a cost of £34,000. Never again!!! Whilst the designs were good, the quality was bloody awful, with stupid (expensive) things going wrong on all of them on a monthly basis. Since 2006, I have gone with Toyota, and not been let down once.

Interesting to hear.

Will be interesting to see if JLR can fudge it into something that’ll work in the mud.

yep - 50k car was the impression I was left with. The new Defender is a luxury car

yep - 50k car was the impression I was left with. The new Defender is a luxury car
Interesting to hear.

Farmers will have little option but to go for Japanese 4x4 double cabs and to be fair they are generally better built than Defenders, just a bit too posh inside to get covered in cow shite.

Latest Threads