Land Rover horror stories

I fired up a thread about my rover woes in the reme forum.

Morning gents. My beast has packed in, again, I just can't wade through the google pages to find any relevant information I understand so I turn to the real lump hammer and black maskers experts.

Last week jumped in van, clutch pedal was on the floor. Got it recovered to Land Rover garage, 140 quid later it was returned in working order and ran ok for a week.

Same problem this morning. Pedal flat to the floor.

Background info. It's an 1989 V8 55k on clock

When idling out of gear and clutch not depressed it's visibly noisy in the cab (I thought is was the drive shaft) this goes away when the clutch is depressed.

Has the garage just short cutted me, filled it up with fluid tightened some bolts and waved me off or is just standard progress and a lot of stuff on it needs replacing

What needs really fixing/replacing and how much is it gonna cost

When idling out of gear and clutch not depressed it's visibly noisy in the cab (I thought is was the drive shaft) this goes away when the clutch is depressed.
I think that's the thrust Bearing

May or may not be related to your woes -

Mines been like that since 2009*

*Theres a whole litany of gearbox associated noises - manuals and experts all say - can be like this for years without problems wait for something to go wrong then change everything

Does sound like the thrust bearing, as said, once you have taken out the gearbox its a false economy not to replace the pressure plate and friction plate at the same time.
That does not explain the pedal on the floor issue though. Master or slave cylinder issues, have a look for signs of leakage.

Does sound like the thrust bearing, as said, once you have taken out the gearbox its a false economy not to replace the pressure plate and friction plate at the same time.
That does not explain the pedal on the floor issue though. Master or slave cylinder issues, have a look for signs of leakage.
A split flexible pipe to the slave cylinder would let the pedal hit the floor, but that should have been obvious to the garage. Leaks from either cylinder should also be obvious, look for fluid where the push rods go in/out. Access might not be easy, a mirror could be helpful.

There are more, but you get the idea. To buy a landy you need first to ensure you have another car to collect spares with, a large, heated garage with trolley jacks, axlestands, power tools, compressor, welding gear, cutting gear, and a complete g10 store of nuts, bolts,, washers etc.
Plus a tool box with every type of spanner, metric, imperial, bsf etc.

Just save a fortune, don't bother with landovers.
To summarise, if you are thinking of buying a Landrover, forget it. What you actually need is a traction engine instead, which will have the bonus of standing next to no chance of exceeding 10 MPH but will be much nicer to work on, lacking electronics of all sorts.

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
To summarise, if you are thinking of buying a Landrover, forget it.
I feel you have landed in the wrong forum. Sorry about that. The Boss and his Worthy Assistants have been making improvements so ARRSE is not quite right yet. Do a site search on "Where can I buy a Korean car with four wheel drive and a Bluetooth enabled entertainment screen on the dash".

Then frock off there. I hear Korean cars have heaters and all sorts.

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
That would be my first call. Look for leaks around inside of wheels and under dash / bulkhead area on the deck. This may be difficult. It is a well known fact that Landy's do not leak. But they do love to mark their territory.

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
meh. So, moving on. Anybody got a position on mud flaps on the back of a Landy? Personally i feel it is a shite move. Right up there with sticking decals on saying "one life, live it". Mud flaps are cak. People who stick mud flaps on the back of a Landy endured harsh potty training as a child.

This is the law.

My truck a Dodge Rebel, 410 bhp delivered (slightly tweaked) through an 8 speed ZF gearbox, ride height adjustable air suspension and bilstien shocks, it is very comfortable to drive on the highway doing 8 to 10 hours in comfort with a suround sound alpine system and lots of toys and in 55k just a couple of oil changes.
Technology has moved on chaps if you want to live in the past only use a pen and paper to complain
And it starts at -35c (remotely)
image.jpeg

Last edited:
My truck a Dodge Rebel, 510 bhp delivered (slightly tweaked) through an 8 speed ZF gearbox, ride height adjustable air suspension and bilstien shocks, it is very comfortable to drive on the highway doing 8 to 10 hours in comfort with a suround sound alpine system and lots of toys and in 55k just a couple of oil changes.
Technology has moved on chaps if you want to live in the past only use a pen and paper to complain
And it starts at -35c (remotely) View attachment 323653
Yeah nice and practical for the UK.

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
My truck a Dodge Rebel, 510 bhp delivered (slightly tweaked) through an 8 speed ZF gearbox, ride height adjustable air....
Did we ever forgive the Septics for their terrorist revolt? It was a long time ago and I forget.

My truck a Dodge Rebel, 410 bhp delivered (slightly tweaked) through an 8 speed ZF gearbox, ride height adjustable air suspension and bilstien shocks, it is very comfortable to drive on the highway doing 8 to 10 hours in comfort with a suround sound alpine system and lots of toys and in 55k just a couple of oil changes.
And it starts at -35c (remotely) View attachment 323653
Meh. Poverty spec. Short bed, negative Ramboxes :)

Ram boxes? What would I put in them? I don't put anything in the box long or short and I like the orange boxes and hessian interior
To quote an acquaintance- “Trucks are for haulin’ stuff” :)

I use mine all the time for hauling stuff. A wheelbarrow this weekend. Some plywood last weekend.

All. The. Time. I’d never be without a truck, having had one/several.

To quote an acquaintance- “Trucks are for haulin’ stuff” :)

I use mine all the time for hauling stuff. A wheelbarrow this weekend. Some plywood last weekend.

All. The. Time. I’d never be without a truck, having had one/several.
I carry sheets of plywood I just saw it into small pieces first and once the handles are off the wheelbarrow I'm good to go with the tailgate down

I fired up a thread about my rover woes in the reme forum.

Morning gents. My beast has packed in, again, I just can't wade through the google pages to find any relevant information I understand so I turn to the real lump hammer and black maskers experts.

Last week jumped in van, clutch pedal was on the floor. Got it recovered to Land Rover garage, 140 quid later it was returned in working order and ran ok for a week.

Same problem this morning. Pedal flat to the floor.

Background info. It's an 1989 V8 55k on clock

Has the garage just short cutted me, filled it up with fluid tightened some bolts and waved me off or is just standard progress and a lot of stuff on it needs replacing

What needs really fixing/replacing and how much is it gonna cost

Check brake fluid level as i believe they share the same resevoir. I.e you should see a flexible pipe running down the back of the engine towards the box. This feeds the slave cylinder. If landrover didnt replace it i would as 1 they are cheap and piss easy to change.

Cost about 20 quid. One or 2 bolts to remove and replace then just a case of bleeding the air out. Internal seals can go and cause pedal to the floor problems