Land Rover Discovery II Diesel 2,5 TDI

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by fantassin, May 7, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. [​IMG]

I am thinking of getting the above for the wife as a second car; currently looking at cars with 100,000-150,000 km on the clock.

Any feedback on reliability issues and more generally on the pros and cons this vehicle and what sort of price I should expect ?

Thanks

2. High mileage ones have can head gasket trouble , look for leaks in the rear top windows ( pull carpet up and look at the floor )and sunroof and they leak oil , get underneath and have a good poke around with screwdriver for rust on the sills and check chassis , just a few tips hope this helps.

3. Ignore above didnt realise it was the disco 11 , it was the mk1 i was on about :oops:

4. I have one. You are opening a can of worms fantassin!!!

Avoid very early ones (1999) as they will have issues.
    Specifics to check for-
    Smell the engine oil, any hint of diesel in the oil, walk away. £1000 plus to fix
    Clutch wear, an iffy feeling clutch usually relates to kinetic flywheel problems £6-800 for clutch replacement.
    If it has anything other than pink anti-freeze in the reservoir walk away. Likewise any suggestion of cooling problems
    Beware leaking hydraulic pipes for the active suspension, expensive to fix
    Wheel bearings are £200 a corner for parts, they will be about due at that mileage.
    18inch tyres come in at 130 quid each, factor that into your pricing
    Manual gearbox's get crunchy into 2nd when tired
    Sunroof(s) will leak, they all do at some point
    Check all dash warning lights function as they should, electrical repairs are expensive
    Check for leaking power steering fluid on the steering box.

Make sure you get at least a GS model, base models lack lots of the refinements that make TD5's so good. The ACE suspension system is truely a marvel, don't buy one without. Likewise the air suspension on the rear, well worth having.
    Activate the Hill descent control (HDC) once every thousand miles or so, it keeps the system working properly.
    The traction control is excellent and operates on the same system as the HDC
    They are a very very goos piece of kit and work very well but early ones can be a money pit.
    Its worth buying one built after May 2001, it falls into the new road tax brackets but they were significantly updated to avoid problems found on earlier models. After March 2001 you pay higher road tax!
    2002 models onwards got a facelift with different headlights and bumpers, small interior changes too. The newr headlights are much prettier and better at their job.
    They are a heavy vehicle so not fast but for some reason some are much more spritely than others, usually indicates a duff airflow meter but some are simply faster than others. Test drive a few to get a feel for them
    It should handle stupidly well for a ehicle of its weight and height, if it doesn't then there is something wrong with it and its gonna cost you.

Good luck, get a good one and you will love it. Get a lemon and you will never finish fixing it.

5. I have owned and maintained a TD5 Disco II for the last 6 years.

MPG is 27 on routine use, 34 on good motorway runs (autobahn)

Check oil changes are a min of 10,000 miles intervals other wise engine will get clogged over time and most likely fail about 150,000 miles.

Some TD5's have oil pump bolt failure.
    Check that dealer call backs have been completed especially the ABS one
    ECU can fail if oil is drawn into injector harness via caplillary action
    Check for cracked diffs and damaged steering arms etc if off roaded
    check high/ low ratio & diff lock works as some have only ever been used as tow vehicles
    check bushes and ACE operates as vehicle can roll (many in Iraq/Kuwait did in 2003/04
    you will get the usual few oil drips as basically they have an agricultural chassie and running gear as similar to 90/110's

If can do your own spannering parts are cheap if not expect high dealer costs.

Would I get rid of mine .....never!

6. Have you thought about a Toyota Landcruiser for the same money? I've known a couple of people who have gone from Disco to the Landcruiser and they swear by them.

7. Just sold my D1 (200) after 11 years and 110,000 miles (150,000 total). Trouble-free, entirely, apart from rust. Sills and load area replaced last year. Engine still nice, and no other problems whatsoever. A friend has almost exactly the same model with the same mileage and it's even better, but he's an engineer type who fiddles with things.

I did the right thing and bought a SIII Lightweight this week. Lovely.

8. Second the post about Landcruiser's , after 5 Range Rovers got a Landcruiser and will never go back . Same money , but loads less hassle . "70% of landrovers produced are still on the road , 30% never broke down and made it home again "

9. Known fixes and bulletins
    Known fix
    Affected vehicles
    All models.
    Problem
    ABS warning lamp illuminated.
    Cause
    Excessive wear in front wheel bearings, causing wheel speed sensor to be moved out of its correct position. Excessive wear in rear wheel bearings, causing wheel speed sensor to be moved out of its correct position. Faulty ABS control module.
    Remedy
    Check front wheel bearings for excessive wear and replace if necessary. Adjust rear wheel bearings. Re-position wheel speed sensors, replace if necessary. Check ABS control module, replace if necessary. Access ABS control module fault memory and erase trouble codes.

Known fixes and bulletins 1
    Bulletin
    Affected vehicles
    Freelander with engine coolant heater, VIN 1A 576764-1A 599999/1A 300000 . Discovery with engine coolant heater, VIN XA900012-XA907214/XA200412-1A299999/1A700000

Problem
    Poor heating performance from cold start.
    Cause
    Wide tolerance range of outside air temperature sensor can cause engine coolant heater not to start until ambient temperature is at 0°C.
    Remedy
    Parts
    Description Part number Quantity
    Outside air temperature sensor JWL000020 1

Known fix
    Affected vehicles
    All models.
    Problem
    Vibration from AC/heater blower motor on high blower speed.
    Cause
    Sound insulation material from plenum chamber enters heater ducting, fouling AC/heater blower motor fan.
    Remedy
    Remove AC/heater blower motor and clean sound insulation material from fan. Ensure no sound insulation material loose in heater ducting. Renew sound insulation material in plenum chamber.
    Known fix
    Affected vehicles
    All models.
    Problem
    Water ingress into spare wheel well.
    Cause
    Tailgate seal leaking.
    Remedy
    Remove and discard tailgate seal. Apply sealant to tailgate flange. Fit new tailgate seal.
    Known fixes and bulletins
    Bulletin
    Affected vehicles
    All models with alloy wheels,

03/01.
    Problem
    Alloy wheels difficult to remove.
    Cause
    Corrosion between hub spigot and wheel centre.
    Remedy
    Parts
    Anti-seize grease RYL105020L 1
    Clean corrosion from wheel contact surfaces. Apply anti-seize grease to wheel contact surfaces.
    Bulletin
    Affected vehicles
    All models.
    Problem
    Engine malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) illuminated. Engine stays at idle. No response from accelerator pedal. Accelerator pedal operation may be reinstated when ignition is turned OFF and ON.
    Cause
    Wiring harness multi-plug not correctly latched to accelerator pedal position (APP) sensor.
    Known fixes and bulletins
    Known fix
    Affected vehicles
    All models.
    Problem
    Transmission warning lamps flash continuously.
    Cause
    Water/dirt ingress into transmission wiring harness multi-plug. Engine control module (ECM) requires software upgrade.
    Remedy
    Check transmission wiring harness multi-plug (located on top left-hand side of gearbox), clean contacts if required. Re-program ECM with upgraded software.
    Bulletin
    Affected vehicles
    Defender, Discovery,

VIN 2A 622424. VIN 2A 736340.

Problem
    Loss of engine power. Black smoke from exhaust.
    Cause
    Turbocharger (TC) to intercooler hose separated internally causing a blockage. Turbocharger (TC) to intercooler hose split.
    Remedy
    Manufacturer: Land Rover Model: Discovery (98-05) 2,5D TD5 Engine code: Output: 100 (138) 4200 Tuned for: Year: 1998-02
    © Autodata Limited 2007 1/1/2003 V6.410-

Parts
    Hose - Defender PNH102070 1
    Hose - Discovery PNH102100 1
    Fit new turbocharger (TC) to intercooler hose.
    Known fixes and bulletins 2
    Bulletin
    Affected vehicles
    All models,

VIN XA 900012-XA 907212/XA 200412-XA 277020.
    Problem
    Erratic engine performance under load. Erratic air conditioning performance. Engine malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) illuminated.
    Cause
    Turbocharger (TC) and/or air conditioning wiring harness chafing on compressor.
    Remedy
    Check wiring harness Fig. 1 . Confirm damage to wiring harness. Repair damage to wiring harness. Protect wiring harness with convoluted plastic conduit. Reroute wiring harness behind air conditioning connecting block and beneath air conditioning pipes
    Known fix
    Affected vehicles
    All models.
    Problem
    Failure to start.
    Cause
    In-tank fuel pump (FP) faulty.
    Remedy
    Replace component if necessary.
    Known fixes and bulletins 2
    Bulletin
    Manufacturer: Land Rover Model: Discovery (98-05) 2,5D TD5 Engine code: Output: 100 (138) 4200 Tuned for: Year: 1998-02
    © Autodata Limited 2007 1/1/2003 V6.410-

Affected vehicles
    Defender: VIN XA 159810-1A 199999/VIN 1A 600000-1A 610263. Discovery: VIN XA 900012-XA 907212/VIN XA 200412-1A 299999/VIN 1A 700000 -1A 713257.
    Problem
    Water-in-fuel warning lamp illuminates when driving.
    Cause
    Water-in-fuel sensor is oversensitive.
    Remedy
    Parts
    Water-in-fuel sensor - Defender WKW000030 1
    Water-in-fuel sensor - Discovery WKW000020 1
    Clean area around water-in-fuel sensor. Drain fuel filter. Clean new sensor electrodes, seal and mating surface. Ensure no fingerprints are present on these areas. Fit modified sensor.
    Known fix
    Affected vehicles
    All models.
    Problem
    Excessive noise from rear seat backs whilst driving.
    Cause
    Excessive play between stops on seat frame.
    Remedy
    Parts
    Anti-rattle washer kit HTP 100080 1
    Fit anti-rattle washer kit.

10. Sorry for the long post and mong layout (mlarr) - Autodata is a cnut to copy and paste from!

11. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Sit in the drivers seat. Put your foot on the right of the throttle pedal. Hoof the floor for all its worth.

If your foot goes through the floor, walk away.

If not, buy it.

Any problems with wheels, hubs, difs or the big lump under the bonnet, talk to a mechanic. They are hairy arrsed scum. But they have kids to feed.

And stick a Help For Heroes sticker on the back window. It might help when the Filth pull you for being pissed, stoned and armed. And change the oil every 10,000 miles.

12. Have got a very nice rust free Disco1 I'm willing to trade, please send pix of wife. :)

13. Thank you very much to all for the very exhaustive and accurate answers and also thank you for the Land Cruiser suggestion...I had not thought about this one !

As for the wife, I'll keep her, she's got some mileage but she's sturdy and does not leak too much (yet)...

14. Mine was 26mpg. Until I stopped using supermarker fuel when it jumped to 29mpg.
    Also consider fitting an EGR removal kit, cost £25 and on mine added another 3mpg (same with a mates TD5) Now getting 32mpg average
    6mpg is a pretty massive improvement just by those two things