LAND ROVER DISCOVERY 4

It would be hammered by us, our cars tend to do between 300 and 450 miles a day, every day for 365 days a year, unless they're getting serviced.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
I would prefer the Hilux to the Sport, the roof is too low so I find it awkward to see out of the windscreen without slouching in the driver's seat, this gives me excruciating back pain after a couple of hours on patrol, plus the running boards don't have a flat edge, so it scrapes down the back of my calves when I get out of the car. The Hilux, being based on the Land Cruiser, is a much more comfortable beast over the Sport.
Sunroof & a cushion?
There's plenty of truck kerbs in the services that will re-profile the side steps for you... ;)

WIth Volvo and BMW you aren't doing carriageway clearance on anything much bigger than a Mondeo and you aren't going to be doing it in bad weather.....

Reminded of the documentary about the M62, it might be on You Tube. Police pulling all sorts with the original Range Rover. Only thing they didn't try was a 22RB that slipped off its low-loader.

I would prefer the Hilux to the Sport, the roof is too low so I find it awkward to see out of the windscreen without slouching in the driver's seat, this gives me excruciating back pain after a couple of hours on patrol, plus the running boards don't have a flat edge, so it scrapes down the back of my calves when I get out of the car. The Hilux, being based on the Land Cruiser, is a much more comfortable beast over the Sport.
The Hilux isn’t based on the Land Cruiser; it’s a different chassis.

There’s Fortuner is a Hilux based SUV not sold in the UK which is similar to the Shogun Sport in design; basically an SUV body on a truck chassis.

The good news for people who want rugged SUVs is that there is a new LandCruiser on the way. It going to be a separate chassis vehicle and it shares a lot of engineering with the new Tundra truck (the big one, bigger than a HiLux and not sold in the UK).

IIRC Toyota don’t sell proper LandCruisers in the UK any more; they base the smaller Prado as a LandCruiser. There is a new Prado on the way, but not till 2024.

Reminded of the documentary about the M62, it might be on You Tube. Police pulling all sorts with the original Range Rover. Only thing they didn't try was a 22RB that slipped off its low-loader.
Our cars are very capable for what we use them for.

The Hilux isn’t based on the Land Cruiser; it’s a different chassis.

There’s Fortuner is a Hilux based SUV not sold in the UK which is similar to the Shogun Sport in design; basically an SUV body on a truck chassis.

The good news for people who want rugged SUVs is that there is a new LandCruiser on the way. It going to be a separate chassis vehicle and it shares a lot of engineering with the new Tundra truck (the big one, bigger than a HiLux and not sold in the UK).

IIRC Toyota don’t sell proper LandCruisers in the UK any more; they base the smaller Prado as a LandCruiser. There is a new Prado on the way, but not till 2024.
What I meant was the Hilux has a similar interior to the Land Cruisers we used to have, I know the running gear is different. One of my colleagues owns a Hilux and it is very comfortable compared to the Sport.

What I meant was the Hilux has a similar interior to the Land Cruisers we used to have, I know the running gear is different. One of my colleagues owns a Hilux and it is very comfortable compared to the Sport.
I’m not keen on any of the truck based SUVs; we tried the Fortuner, Pajero Sport and Ford Everest, none of which were particularly comfortable. None ride well on poor roads or tracks without a lot of weight in the back. Meanwhile the proper off-road SUVs are all getting long in the tooth; the Landcruiser, Pajero (Shogun to you) and Nissan Patrol are all 20 year old designs.

Will be interesting to see what Toyota manage with the Landcruiser 300 and Prado 130. Mitsubishi aren’t replacing the Pajero.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
They don't have a sunroof, I've been issued with a standalone lumber support but it hasn't helped.
Unless you're a woodentop, I think it's probably a lumbar support.... ;)

They don't have a sunroof, I've been issued with a standalone lumber support but it hasn't helped.
I used to have a mk2 pajero and looked at a sport. I could see what you said happening to me if I had bought it. The normal one was a comfortable seat to sit in and the driving position just felt like it was made for me the second my arse hit the seat.

The second I got into the sport I felt like I was getting into a pajero that had had a near miss with a car crusher, I knew I would have been stooping to try and get something like the view out the screen I was used to. I didn't even bother with a test drive, I knew I was not going to be owning that thing. Twatted the side of my head getting in as well, being used to getting into the normal height one.

I’m not keen on any of the truck based SUVs; we tried the Fortuner, Pajero Sport and Ford Everest, none of which were particularly comfortable. None ride well on poor roads or tracks without a lot of weight in the back. Meanwhile the proper off-road SUVs are all getting long in the tooth; the Landcruiser, Pajero (Shogun to you) and Nissan Patrol are all 20 year old designs.

Will be interesting to see what Toyota manage with the Landcruiser 300 and Prado 130. Mitsubishi aren’t replacing the Pajero.

Published by: Jack Warrick, AUTOCAR magazine, on 09 June 2021.

New 2021 Toyota Land Cruiser 300 is completely reinvented 4x4.

Not-for-UK large SUV gets new platform, suspension, engine and interior :( !! .

Toyota has revealed the Land Cruiser 300 as a completely reinvented SUV with an all-new platform for improved ability both on and off the road.

The car will become the new flagship of the Toyota SUV range, but will not be coming to the UK or Western Europe.

Customers will be able to choose from two brand new twin-turbo V6 engines; a 3.5-litre petrol and a 3.3-litre diesel, which the manufacturer says will deliver “class-leading performance and driveability superior to a conventional V8.”

A ten-speed automatic transmission will also be available, which Toyota says reduces fuel consumption and CO2 emissions by 10% compared to the previous-generation model.

New electronic 'kinetic dynamic' suspension has been fitted, mated with a multi-terrain select system, along with some additional assist systems, including pre-collision detection and a new parking support brake.

It is the first Land Cruiser model to make use of the new Toyota New Global Architecture (TNGA) platform.
The Japanese company says the platform will improve performance both on and off road, with “new benefits in terms of body rigidity, strength and dynamic balance.”

Despite the new platform, the Land Cruiser 300 will maintain the same dimensions of the current model, including overall length, width, wheelbase and departure and approach angles, but is 200kg lighter than its predecessor.

Over ten million Land Cruisers have been sold across 170 countries, but the 300 will not make its way to Western Europe or the UK. It will go on sale in summer this year.

1623335696506.png

1623335729300.png

1623335745471.png

1623335760360.png

Posted on this "land-rover-discovery-4" thread, and also on "the-new-land-rover-defender-is-go" thread.

Last edited:

Toyota has revealed the Land Cruiser 300 as a completely reinvented SUV with an all-new platform for improved ability both on and off the road.

The car will become the new flagship of the Toyota SUV range, but will not be coming to the UK or Western Europe.

Customers will be able to choose from two brand new twin-turbo V6 engines; a 3.5-litre petrol and a 3.3-litre diesel, which the manufacturer says will deliver “class-leading performance and driveability superior to a conventional V8.”

A ten-speed automatic transmission will also be available, which Toyota says reduces fuel consumption and CO2 emissions by 10% compared to the previous-generation model.

New electronic 'kinetic dynamic' suspension has been fitted, mated with a multi-terrain select system, along with some additional assist systems, including pre-collision detection and a new parking support brake.

It is the first Land Cruiser model to make use of the new Toyota New Global Architecture (TNGA) platform.
The Japanese company says the platform will improve performance both on and off road, with “new benefits in terms of body rigidity, strength and dynamic balance.”

Despite the new platform, the Land Cruiser 300 will maintain the same dimensions of the current model, including overall length, width, wheelbase and departure and approach angles, but is 200kg lighter than its predecessor.

Over ten million Land Cruisers have been sold across 170 countries, but the 300 will not make its way to Western Europe or the UK. It will go on sale in summer this year.

View attachment 580303
View attachment 580304
View attachment 580305
View attachment 580306

Posted on this "land-rover-discovery-4" thread, and also on "the-new-land-rover-defender-is-go" thread.

Oh dear, starting to look like the other "soft-roaders". Middle age spread and too many gadgets.

View attachment 580303
View attachment 580304
View attachment 580305
View attachment 580306

Been lots of coverage on that and the new Prado here, because they sell loads of both. The Landcruiser is huge; way bigger than a Range Rover and far too big for British roads.

[drift]

Published by: Ronan Glon, AUTOCAR magazine, on 15 June 2021.

Seven decades of the Toyota Land Cruiser.

Toyota's do-it-all off-roader has been a trend-setter for decades.

From Beverly Hills to Burkina Faso, the Toyota Land Cruiser has seen it all.

Like the Jeep CJ, among other off-roaders, it traces its roots to the military yet it was made famous by generations of farmers and explorers around the world. Unlike the CJ, whose spirit live on in the modern-day Wrangler, the Land Cruiser has morphed into a genuine go-anywhere luxury car. Here’s how it all started.

1623754476913.png

Follow link for 21 photos and commentary . . .

[/drift]

For anyone out there who may be able to give me some advice please.

Mrs SB wants a Discovery 4, I want a Volvo XC70 (our price range in the region of £10-£12k).

I have read every post on this thread and the desire to get either of the above cars is:

1. To accommodate 2 big dogs in the back. No kids.
2. A bit of 4x4-ness to assist in road (never off road) winter driving. Live near N York Moors.
3. A bit of luxury after years and years and years of driving bangers (ford estates, vans) due to always having a pair of hairy, wet, big dogs.

I noted @Ravers recommending a Nissan Pathfinder but I just want to focus on a Disco 4 or XC70 and only one with a full dealers service history.

Can anyone push me in one direction or t'other please?

A dealer service history on a D4 isn’t worth the paper it’s written on because they won’t have done any of the vital service jobs that LR don’t include in the schedule, like adjusting the handbrake or replacing the oil pump complete rather than just the tensioner. Both can lead to expensive bills, and the latter can be terminal.

For anyone out there who may be able to give me some advice please.

Mrs SB wants a Discovery 4, I want a Volvo XC70 (our price range in the region of £10-£12k).

I have read every post on this thread and the desire to get either of the above cars is:

1. To accommodate 2 big dogs in the back. No kids.
2. A bit of 4x4-ness to assist in road (never off road) winter driving. Live near N York Moors.
3. A bit of luxury after years and years and years of driving bangers (ford estates, vans) due to always having a pair of hairy, wet, big dogs.

I noted @Ravers recommending a Nissan Pathfinder but I just want to focus on a Disco 4 or XC70 and only one with a full dealers service history.

Can anyone push me in one direction or t'other please?
Although I have no personal experience of either, the Disco 3/4, and (bigger) XC90, are both on my "Wish List", and I would be happy to accept one or the other.

Them that know, will mention LR's infamous poor reliability record :( .

I would want - look forward - to test driving examples is both, and would suggest you take along your canine friends, to assess the quite different load spaces.

The XC70 will have more engine options than the LR.

Current owner of a 2014 FLRSH 120k Disco4 commercial & after 2 years of ownership, I've had two carry out the following:

Replace MAFF sensor.
(restricted performance warning)
Renew primary battery.
(Original factory manage 6 years)
Replace rear discs
(General wear & tear.)

Ensure you Factor in servicing, parts costs and running costs, like any other car and you should be fine.

Next year, the front pads will be replaced but overall I've no regrets, I true off roader & dream motorway cruiser.

Last edited:
Current owner of a FLRSH 120k Disco4 commercial & after 2 years of ownership, I've had two carry out the following:

Replace MAFF sensor.
(restricted performance warning)
Renew primary battery.
(Original factory manage 6 years)
Replace rear discs
(General wear & tear.)

Ensure you Factor in servicing, parts costs and running costs, like any other car and you should be fine.

Next year, the front pads will be replaced but overall I've no regrets, I true off roader & dream motorway cruiser.
Sorry.

FLRSH please?

Latest Threads