LAND ROVER DISCOVERY 4

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Thanks for that I will keep a look out.
It tends to be the rivets that hold the edge trim in place, not easy to re-fix though.
I'd also suggest checking the MoT history with regard to advisories, stay away from any car that has the same item advised more than once, it's usually the sign of maintenance on a shoestring.
Same goes for budget tyres and aftermarket brakes, decent tyres & brakes are not that expensive and they are the critical bits that keep you and the other contents safe.

Best advice I can give is service history from a reputable garage.
Many of the engine problems can be tracked back to cheap oil and insufficient oil changes.

Mine is a Discovery 3 HSE and I'm more than happy with it.

As with any used car the trick is not buying somebody else's neglected old crock

Usually when they get to a third owner they are the aspirational idiot with no money who cannot afford to even get an oil change done, nevermind fixing other problems. Then they just run it till they cannot afford to do anything with it and shift it on, usually just before it is about to need open heart surgery.

Over 400,000km on our D3. (2005). Of course bits need replacing every so often. Hope the engine keeps going as no budget to buy a new Disco ;)

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer
Thanks for the views and advice I finally settled on a Discovery 3 HSE. Let's see how things go!
For what it's worth, my youngest custom builds these Wheelhouses for Air B&Bs, extra rooms, home offices etc.

As you can see, he has a Disco 3 HSE which he spent a lot of time searching for because he wanted one with a perfect maintenance record. He paid over the odds for this one and says it is the best towing vehicle he's ever owned, so good luck with yours mate...

FB_IMG_1623259153876.jpg

Nothing to do with me I'm afraid, I notice the towing capacity is far lower than the Disco and Shogun. I'm happy patrolling in the Disco.

Nothing to do with me I'm afraid, I notice the towing capacity is far lower than the Disco and Shogun. I'm happy patrolling in the Disco.

2.4 tonne tow weight or so?

Sometimes I wonder what fleet buyers are thinking of when they place an order.
The Volvo might be a reasonably nice car, but it's just a car and bugger all use for heavy use

And the first decent winter on Shap will see it off......

We use load cells, so the car is already at a disadvantage to the current cars, we have just added Shogun Sports too, they're not too good either, plus we're also adding the BMW X5.

We use load cells, so the car is already at a disadvantage to the current cars, we have just added Shogun Sports too, they're not too good either, plus we're also adding the BMW X5.

X5 isn't going to be worth jack shit either.
I think the Shogun Sport at least has a two speed transfer box?

Anybody in Fleet ever seen snow?

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
.. the first decent winter on Shap will see it off......
The resultant Lithium fire after they lose it on a moderately slippy bit of ice and it rolls down into the village will keep the locals warm for weeks, and do a lot to encourage out-of-season tourism.

I'm not a big fan of the old Shogun, but at least it did the business for carriageway clearance.

WIth Volvo and BMW you aren't doing carriageway clearance on anything much bigger than a Mondeo and you aren't going to be doing it in bad weather.

The old Shogun was agricultural for a reason, a reason that I would have thought quite valid in your job.
The Shogum is cheap because although it is reasonably capable it isn't a very refined beast
The Discovery cost more because it has greater capability and greater refinement.

The Volvo and X5 probably have lots of refinement but aren't capable work horses.

Still, you'll be cofortable while you wait for a contractor to come out and rescue you :-D

Our Shoguns and Discos have been very capable when it comes to carriageway clearance, as was the Toyota Land Cruiser in its day, the only reason we're getting rid of the Mitsi's is they're pulling out of the uk

I would have thought the Shogun Sports were a good vehicle for your job. Based on the new L200, tow up to 3500kg (tri-axle trailer), trick 4x4 that gives you 4wd on tarmac, bags of room. I seriously considered one before opting for a 17 plate Hilux with a Truckman top.

I would prefer the Hilux to the Sport, the roof is too low so I find it awkward to see out of the windscreen without slouching in the driver's seat, this gives me excruciating back pain after a couple of hours on patrol, plus the running boards don't have a flat edge, so it scrapes down the back of my calves when I get out of the car. The Hilux, being based on the Land Cruiser, is a much more comfortable beast over the Sport.

I would prefer the Hilux to the Sport, the roof is too low so I find it awkward to see out of the windscreen without slouching in the driver's seat, this gives me excruciating back pain after a couple of hours on patrol, plus the running boards don't have a flat edge, so it scrapes down the back of my calves when I get out of the car. The Hilux, being based on the Land Cruiser, is a much more comfortable beast over the Sport.
The Hilux is great, though very heavy on diesel, as a farm truck most of its journeys are 5 miles or less.