LAND ROVER DISCOVERY 4

Fishsoxs

Old-Salt
I find myself needing to replace my current estate car that I've only relatively recently bought as my family is growing by 1 and very soon will no longer fulfil my needs.

My main requirement is to have three child seats in the back with preferably theree isofix points.

The other requirement is two extra seats that adults can comfortably sit in when needed on row three and with enough room for a pram and other things associated with a new born and two other young children.

4x4 would be ideal as I live in a reasonably hilly semi rural town which gets the snow and parking outside my house which is on a hill is difficult in those conditions.

So this leads me onto the Discovery 4 which on the face of things fills my needs, or does it? Are there any alternatives to the Discovery 4 that I've not considered and what pitfalls/common faults are there , parts/service prices excluded?

My budget would be £12k total including trading or selling my current car.

As always thoughts, comments and suggestions welcome.

cowgoesmoo

Old-Salt
If you're looking for a Landrover then i'd budget £6k for the car and the other £6k for repairs. Mitsubishi Shogun or Toyota Landcruisers also come in 7-seat versions and would be much more reliable

4(T)

LE
Problem is that LRs and most 4WD are quite small on the inside; for passengers, boxes, bags, cots, etc you really need a people carrier of some sort - Sharan/Alhambra or similar.

It seems to me that there is a bit of a gap in the market for 4WD MPVs.

There are 4WD VW Caravelles and Ford transit minibuses, but they are extremely rare in UK.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Nissan Terrano II diesel LWB (go for a mistral import for a higher spec) I had one and it was superb.

Quite possibly the most unreliable vehicle I have ever used. A good deal of cost was avoided because the engines used to snap their cranks while still in the warranty period, which while fortunate is hardly a recommendation.

That said, very capable off road, would pull pretty much anything required of it and quite a nice place to spend time.

RTU'd

LE
Plenty of good approved Land Rovers on sale now.
Dealers want to ship cars out, evouqe & discovery sports good deals.

Himmler74

On ROPS
On ROPs
If you're looking for a Landrover then i'd budget £6k for the car and the other £6k for repairs. Mitsubishi Shogun or Toyota Landcruisers also come in 7-seat versions and would be much more reliable
2012 land cruiser gets my vote, although the walnut dash is best avoided.

I have a 3
I paid enough for it that I could have had a 4

I deliberately bought the best Discovery 3 I could find rather than an average 4 for the same money
Had it a year and more than happy with it, no regrets

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
A late Nissan Pathfinder (post 2012 facelift) would tick all your boxes.

On paper it’s basically a Discovery with the same amount of seats, similar fuel economy, horsepower, towing capacity toys, decent offroad etc. etc.

They’re not quite as luxurious as the Disco and don’t have the green oval snob factor, but it does exactly the same job, without the hassle of breaking down all the time.

I ran one for over 80,000 miles without so much as a flat tyre.

A very capable truck.

A secondhand Landy just has massive bills and misery written all over it.

If you want to use ISOFIX then you can only use it on the two outer seats of row 2, I just used normal seats held in by the seatbelts with no problem. I can get three Maxi-Cosi seats in, just, with the outer pads removed.

Two adults can get in row 3 as long as they're under 5'4" and have very short legs.

I tend to have two kids in row three in kid seats, they're old enough to strap themselves in with no problems and the other two in row 2 with one seat folded down with access to the rear.

Fishsoxs

Old-Salt
I have a 3
I paid enough for it that I could have had a 4

I deliberately bought the best Discovery 3 I could find rather than an average 4 for the same money
Had it a year and more than happy with it, no regrets
I've had a look at the 3 but don't like the fact that the middle seat is not full width therefore I would not be able to get the three seats in without using half the boot space. Thanks though.

Fishsoxs

Old-Salt
A late Nissan Pathfinder (post 2012 facelift) would tick all your boxes.

On paper it’s basically a Discovery with the same amount of seats, similar fuel economy, horsepower, towing capacity toys, decent offroad etc. etc.

They’re not quite as luxurious as the Disco and don’t have the green oval snob factor, but it does exactly the same job, without the hassle of breaking down all the time.

I ran one for over 80,000 miles without so much as a flat tyre.

A very capable truck.

A secondhand Landy just has massive bills and misery written all over it.
Thinking about it my brother in law had one and said it was a good vehicle. Will have a further look at them.

Latest Threads