• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Land of Hope and Glory saved

The councillor who called for Land of Hope and Glory to be scrapped from Remembrance Day celebrations yesterday dropped the idea and apologised to war veterans.

Peter O'Neill, a Labour councillor, had recommended to the working party putting together the Nov 7 Remembrance Day festival programme in Wolverhampton that Edward Elgar's work was too political and should be replaced by Rod Stewart's 1975 song, Sailing.

But before the working party meeting yesterday to decide on the issue, Mr O'Neill said: "When I made those remarks I did not wish to be controversial.

''It was in a closed meeting and I didn't wish to be offensive to anyone.

''I was trying to stimulate interest in the festival because attendance had been declining.

''I apologise if I have offended anyone. I have made a mistake and will draw a line under this today.
[c]telegraph

I wonder if this about-face has anything to do with the genuine patriotism that the attacks on London have stirred up in the usually silent majority in Great Britain.

Its just the same mindless drivel as that idiot who proposed "deferred success" on school exams instead of the psyche scarring word "fail".

They all seem like those ideas you get when drunk, it seems reasonable in your own head but when you tell anyone else about it they look at you as if you have gone mad and then you realise that when you had this idea you were actually divorced from reality.

That is the way a lot of "our" politicians brains seem to work.

I can usually find fault with everything! :?

But not these words, I'm lost as to which part he found objectionable.....

Dear Land of Hope, thy hope is crowned.

God make thee mightier yet!

On Sov'reign brows, beloved, renowned,

Once more thy crown is set.

Thine equal laws, by Freedom gained,

Have ruled thee well and long;

By Freedom gained, by Truth maintained,

Thine Empire shall be strong.

Land of Hope and Glory,

Mother of the Free,

How shall we extol thee,

Who are born of thee?

Wider still and wider

Shall thy bounds be set;

God, who made thee mighty,

Make thee mightier yet.

Thy fame is ancient as the days,

As Ocean large and wide

A pride that dares, and heeds not praise,

A stern and silent pride

Not that false joy that dreams content

With what our sires have won;

The blood a hero sire hath spent

Still nerves a hero son
Well? Any clues?

Beebs

Well if I really must :) From spending some time on other boards I would say that some people would object to the following words...

God - not inclusive of Wiccans/bhuddists/etc
Soverign- Republicans etc would be insulted
Who are born of thee - What about those naturalized citizens not born here?
The blood a hero sire hath spent/Still nerves a hero son - misogynist claptrap.

And the whole tone of Empire/defeating enemies etc could upset those that we evil white people subjugated and of course it might upset the French.

***Disclaimer *** None of the above should be taken as being representive of the posters real view of the world and is posted purely for discussion purposes!*****

At least he had the good grace to apologise and admit that he fcuked up.

Don't suppose there's much chance of getting anything similar from St Tony of Sedgefield?

I won't hold my breath...

Peter O'Neill, a Labour councillor, had recommended to the working party putting together the Nov 7 Remembrance Day festival programme in Wolverhampton that Edward Elgar's work was too political and should be replaced by Rod Stewart's 1975 song, Sailing.
There's precious little "hope" or "glory" in this nation since 5 May 2005.

"Sailing" sounds better - ahh, the thought of emigrating! :twisted:

Land Of Hope and Glory. What a load of p1ss.

I give you a proper song

Oh Flower of Scotland

When will we see your like again
That fought and died for
Your wee bit hill and glen

And stood against him

Proud Edward's army
And sent him homeward
To think again

The hills are bare now

And autumn leaves lie thick and still
O'er land that is lost now

Which those so dearly held

That stood against him

Proud Edward's army
And sent him homeward
To think again

Those days are past now
And in the past they must remain
But we can still rise now
And be the nation again

That stood against him
Proud Edward's army
And sent him homeward
To think again.

Bring it on. Shamone muthrerfcuker. Hee Hee!

Latest Threads