LAND Command Minimum Manning Period - A Xmas Story

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by pombsen-armchair-warrior, Dec 7, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. For those of you fortunate enough to be allowed to work from home at Xmas you will find the following advice useful (an extract from H & S guidance promulgated to all staff today). I particularly commend the 'working alone', 'home fire evacuation points' and 'using candles' advice. Now if you're all sitting comfortably (carry out immediate risk assessment) I shall begin:

The nature of the home working arrangement is of a limited and temporary duration therefore the likelihood of risk is assessed as extremely low and it is highly unlikely that anyone will suffer an injury or ill health as a result of the type of work being undertaken. However, there are a number of simple precautions which you should observe and based upon the general types of controls found in the daily office work space. By carrying out the simple self-assessment below you can ensure that all the main basic safety precautions are in place. If you feel that you require any further help or assistance with the assessment then contact your line manager.

Electrical Equipment:

The XXX is only responsible for checking the safety of equipment that they provide for use at home such as lap-top computers. The XXX will ensure that all equipment provided is safe for use and PAT tested prior to issue.

If you are using your own computer equipment then basic self checks should include:

o Ensure that power supply is disconnected before carrying out basic equipment checks.

o Check that the plugs are not cracked or damaged.

o Check that the outer covering of the power cable is gripped where it enters the plug or the equipment.

o Check that the outer cover of the equipment is not damaged.

o Check leads, wires or cables for damage to the outer covering.

o Check for burn marks or staining that suggests overheating.

o If in doubt do not use equipment which you suspect is damaged or faulty. Either replace it or get your equipment repaired by an authorised dealer.

o Remember, water and electrics do not mix!

Using VDUs:

o Make sure that the screen is clear and readable, and without flicker.

o Make sure that the screen is free from glare and reflections.

o Adjust the brightness and contrast to a suitable level to avoid eyestrain.

o Make sure that you have suitable lighting so that you can read documents and read the fine detail on the screen. Avoid glare from windows and direct sunlight.

o Make sure that the keyboard is placed in the correct position

o Make sure that the mouse is in the correct position

o Make sure that the chair is adjusted to the right height so that work can be done comfortably

o Make sure that you have suitable lighting and consider using task lighting if necessary

o Make sure that the screen and computer is clean and free from dust and dirt.

o Make sure that there is sufficient space under the desk to allow free movement.

o Remember to take regular planned breaks and mini breaks so that you can stretch your limbs.

o Read the HSE guidance on Working with VDUs Ref INDG 36.

Access and Egress:

o Make sure that all trailing cables are securely tucked away to avoid creating tripping hazards.

o Make sure that you have safe access to your work area and clear access out of the house in an emergency. For example, if working upstairs then make sure that your staircase is clear and free of obstacles and tripping hazards. This is essential in the event of a fire and you need to vacate your home quickly and as safely as possible.

Fire Safety:

o It is strongly recommended that you have smoke detectors fitted as a first line of warning.

o It is always good practice to arrange a safe evacuation meeting point outside of your home for you and your family in event of a fire. Many needless deaths have occurred when family members have re-entered a burning house to rescue a family member who they have assumed is trapped inside when in reality they have already escaped to a place of safety.

o Avoid or minimise the use of electrical adapters – overloaded sockets can lead to fire hazards.

o Avoid cooking meals while you are working. Ensure that you provide sufficient separate time for preparing meals and remember to turn off the heating supply when completed.

o Remember to turn off and unplug all electrical equipment at the end of use.

o Do not use naked flames such as candles while you are working.

Lone Working:

o If you will be working from home alone make sure that you have let someone know that you are at home and not in your usual workplace. Keep an emergency contact number handy.
  2. Oh dear. Someone is drawing on valuable stocks of oxygen whilst writing this drivel.

Someone else is wasting valuable productivity-related time in promulgating it.

And some poor idiot is left reading it, wondering why their employer regards them as semi-sentient children incapable of looking after themself.

The last point has me in stitches - am I supposed to email a responsible adult and let them know that I am foolhardily working from home? Should I leave a note at the cop shop as I might when climbing Snowdon?

If anyone is looking for some efficiencies to achieve right now, this very instant, then find the idiot (probably CS) who whote this. P-A-W, don't suppose there's a signature block?
  3. VM,

There is, but I would not want to embarrass the Civil Servant who wrote it!

PS. Forgot to add this little nugget: "Managers are reminded that authorised home working must result in measurable outputs which may be subject to scrutinisation".

PPS. The CS who wrote this is one of those who are currently reviewing areas where staff haven't enough to do, with a view to making staff cuts - somewhat ironic ,although it would be lost on her.
  4. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Why not? they surely deserve it.
  5. I would. On a day when discussion of efficiencies in the MoD is of real interest, people such as this should keep a low profile. We honestly need a return of 'Frontline First' - because it is no longer about teeth arms versus CS/CSS as we are now all front line. It is however about trimming off the dross which through some benign care in the community remit the MoD has accumulated and which now leeches off our budget.

More desk johnnies + MoD inaction = less operational impact + less ammunition + less dead enemy
  6. Anything about the use of English?

There was also a 'serious' study into how much money would be saved (heating, electricity, RESPOD et al that working from home would deliver. Utter b0ll0cks. However, great post!
  7. "Managers are reminded that authorised home working must result in measurable outputs which may be subject to scrutinisation".

Dubya's unique command of English appears to be spreading!
  8. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

I like:
    Remember, water and electrics do not mix!
    Do not use naked flames such as candles while you are working.
  9. Is that because the MoD is broke - :oops: :x
  10. There are some very sad CS in the MoD. Equally, they are not to be under-rated as they wield disproportionate power in their linkage to the financiers and their ability to delay progress. Health and Safety can add value, sadly the reported Land Command CS is simply constructing umbrellas not improving health or safety.
  11. Not a convincing argument as to why we should brook them - if we were to cleanse ourselves of the useless CS then there would be no disproportionate power amongst them. Q.E.D. Bye bye Civsec, Budman, Commercial Branch etc.

It is a deception that H&S adds value. The notions of value and competitive advantage are relevant to warfighting as they are about increased effect over competitors or enemies. H&S and ISO (insert vogue number) are ancillary tasks that add visibility, compliance, and only if you have H&S staff of real insight and foresight (a rarity) do they bring the intended efficiencies.

I would far rather have a culture in which people were minded to be efficient and safe rather than the banal and inane process of which the above excerpt is a crashing example.

Lets have a festive name and shame of the sort of positions which we could really do without and not notice. I suggest we guess the efficiencies we have 'found' and keep a running total.

May I please start by nominating anyone who works for Focus or the Defence Management Journal.

I reckon I've saved £350,000 (running total). Well done me.
  12. I nominate any military personnel who fall so far into civil service ways as to use the term 'minded'. :wink:

13. Just like to let everyone know ill be nipping home approx 1230hrs to let my dog out for a few minutes.
    If i dont return by 1300hrs could you try ringing me on my mob no as i may of tripped through my patio doors and knocked myself out.
    Failing that could someone email me as i may of been drawn to my home computer now the Morale Police have moved Ebay off my IGS account!

PS i have left my Risk Assesment with the MGS at the Main Gate! :wink: