Lanchester Mk 1 SMG or Auction in US

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by jumpinjarhead, Feb 7, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Needs some Brasso applied.

2. I'd need some Brasso applied to my bank account before I could afford that.

The last one I saw for sale was a de-act for E200 in France, that was a while back though...

3. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

JJH, please stop teasing us with stuff we can never buy. It's not big and it's not clever, it's just cruel.

• Like Like x 5
  4. IIRC some Lanchesters came back through UK MoD as late as the 1990s. They'd been stores on various warships sold off to other countries, and had been returned back as part of some disposal clause when the ships were finally scrapped.

5. Is it so expensive because it's 'transferable' ?

• Like Like x 1
  6. It is indeed very cruel to taunt us with these things, but who wrote that description? "this gun is super controllable" from that phrase onwards all I could hear was Big Gay Al reading it.

7. _Chimurenga_

_Chimurenga_ LE Gallery Guru

I think it's getting a lot of attention because it's being sold under a Curio & Relic license rather than a Class III license. JJH can explain the differences much better than I can.

8. Precisely--it is one of only 2 categories of full auto weapons private citizen (non dealers) can possess.

C&R--

• Like Like x 1
  9. It's amazing how some of the old stuff kicks around. I saw crewmen carrying these on an Italian ship in 1988.

beretta.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  10. It's actually a Mk.1*, rather than MK.1. I imagine that a proper Mk.1 would be even sillier money because you just don't see them. Or maybe the septics don't know the difference.

I have deact Mk.1* that I bought just over twenty years ago. I believe that it is worth a good deal nowadays.

11. Its super controllable as it is really heavy. Had a play with one once on the next guys turn it broke and emptied the entire magazine in one burst hardly jumped.

12. JJH teasing everyone again?

Whilst there are a variety of ways and means for owning a legit, what is loacally known as, a "once fired brass maker" there is honestly nothing stopping less scrupulous individuals having an illegal one.

All the bits are available for legal purchase, the crime is putting them together into one piece. Tell me honestly why would anyone buy full-auto Uzi bolts when they cannot fit into a semi-auto frame without paying more than the cost of a semi-auto bolt to have it machined to fit? Hmmmmm???? Likewise MP5's, the whole HK family really, the trigger assembly for a mil spec HK is actually illegal if fitted and functioning as is on a civvy owned HK, but you can buy shed loads of them along with full auto spec bolts and other necessary bits. Why??

And funnily enough at the moment every dealer who sells such things is sold out.

Machine guns are seen as an investment by many, they are bought, stroked, stored, never fired and sold a couple of years later with a better return than would be possible if you placed your cash in the bank. Everytime the item is transferred there is the cost of the transfer tax to the Feds, the cost of paying a dealer to receive the item and then maybe some other costs - which I will not bore you with. Basically if you buy an MG and keep it for 10 years a comparable MG could have been bought and sold 10 times in that same period and every transaction pushes the price up, so yours goes up because the other one is being sold on.

I was once reliably informed that the Knob Creek machine gun shoot has more millionaires per square foot than the New York Stock Exchange. I believe it, I have seen original full auto MP5's for over $20K.