Lance Sergeants in the Mess

T

trojan

Just wondered what non Household division members think about having Lance Sergeants using the Sergeants mess ?
What they do in thier own barracks is fine but how do people generally react to having a bunch of full corporals ( cos thats what they are ) using the Sgts mess in say a garrison mess ? Or for that matter having visiting Guards lance Sergeants using a non garrison mess .

What about 'Lance Corporal of Horse' then?

Quote from Queen’s Regulations, Annex A, Para 52, Page 2A – 6A

"By long established custom all full Corporals within the Household Division are, from the time of their promotion to the rank of Corporal, appointed Lance Corporal of Horse or Lance Sergeant and are dressed accordingly. It is customary for them to use the Sergeants’ Mess on the same basis as a full Corporal of Horse or Full Sergeant. However, accommodation within that Mess would depend upon availability".
Now does that mean ALL Sergeants Mess's or just Household Division one's?

I'm not Household Div myself, however, I don't see the need to interfere with tradition. I have had LSgts stay in several of my Messes as living-in members and as visitors and have always found that they have conducted themselves very well.

Devilishdave said:
In my book if it says SGT on pay packet they should get in no probs if not; well The Junior ranks cook house is not so bad!!

Dave
What about 'Lance Corporal of Horse Smith' then?
The Household Cav would not have a look in according to your rules - Not a Sergeant among them!

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
Well I have been a member of Messes where Lance Sergeants were not allowed - QRs or not. They aren't Sergeants, they are Corporals, no matter how much Queen Vic disliked the word. Once the RSM got quite stroppy during the end of an Op Banner Tour, and it nearly resulted in a mass brawl. Result was, their Corporals were not allowed into the Mess until the actual time of Handover. After that, they could lower standards to their heart's content.

Paymaster said:
In fact QRs mandate that LsCOH and LSgts be allowed in all Sgts Messes.
One of many strange traditions in the British Army. Bit like RLC Conductors requiring approval from the Commanding Officer to become an honorary member of a non-RLC Sergeants Mess.

Long may these traditions continue!

thankyou for your font of knolledge...............do you think i waste my time to post questions like this so i can be entertained by stupid answers from the likes of you .....fool

I knew a local sgt in bosnia that got full mess privillages

oh and did he lord it up

Best bit was he also got a full mess bill which wiped the smirk off his face, espically as he was widely disliked and no one wanted him there so he spent most of his tour in a corrimec

I believe that Local Sgt rank allows the individual to use the Mess facilities provided they agree to pay a Mess bill. I think that they cannot be forced to pay a Mess bill as they are gaining no financial benefit from local rank. I would think that it would be assumed that most (if not all) would opt to wear the rank given the opportunity and use the Mess.

We had local Sgts awaiting posting or whatever and they used the full facilities of the Mess and attend functions etc. In our Mess though they paid the Corporals' rate of daily messing etc as they don't get a financial benefit (unless they got POHR). We were nice to our lads!

Don't start me on the HDiv...Knightsbridge (The Mounted Regiment) Local LCpl to RCM (RSM) all in one Mess. You got a stroppy little shit of a one stripe and his slut for the night gibbering at you and your wife during a function and you can't take him aside or put him down 'coz we is all equal in the Mess' Yeah right. "Watch out next time I'm Duty WO and we are outside the Mess you little sod...."

LSgts? LCoH SCpl etc? Load of bollocks. The LCoH ie a Corporal in the HCav wear SSgts crown and stripes and the wee buggers would NEVER point out that they were only really Cpls...they used to get the best rooms or seats on the planes for Canada because the RAF etc thought they were young looking Staffies...and the SCpl ie SSgt is called Corporal Major or Sir even though they are only Staffies...aargh!

Let them have their funny ranks but they should wear the same rank badges as the rest of the Army and treated accordingly!

Ooh I feel much better with that off me chest...!

Flyingrockdj

War Hero
It appears to me that the H/Div is spot on and perhaps the rest of the army should reintroduce LSGT as it used to have them you know. The rights of LCOH/LSGTS' is enshrined in QR's. In my experience they are far better behaved and in the spirit of the mess than some corps mess members I have met!
The HCav have an all NCO's mess as you say and it is great. Remember that should you be attached to a HDiv unit you will be made Lsgt if a corps full screw and also if a Lance jack allowed to use the privelidge of the Nco's' mess with the H cav. Not just for them you see.

Local sgts don't have to pay mess fees or turn up at functions as far as I know. Very rarely met one that didn't though.

2 lads on my course are now locals, I'll ask them how it works.

L/sgts and LCOH in the mess, no dramas, that is how they are treated in their units and I don't think it lowers the standards. If they play up bar them as any member would be.

Some units treat their Cpls very well, with Cpls messes, some don't. Would you want your Cpls to join an existing cpls only bar on a camp if possible or let them drink in the pigs bar?

B

Biscuits_AB

ibilola said:
Flyingrockdj said:
The HCav have an all NCO's mess as you say and it is great.
So no operational reasons why this couldn't be introduced elsewhere.
You have to be the most bitter and twisted individual on this site. The only way into the MEss (a proper one) is to be promoted to Sgt. Operations have bugger all to do with Mess status.

WE've read your whines as to why you're not a 'Technical WO'. Ever considered working for it?

Believe me, the WO's & Sgt's Mess doesn't need people like you. You would f*cking destroy it.

Latest Threads