Lance Jack and Full Screw???

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by KnifeFightingMonkey, Jan 15, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. In a recent conversation at work we were talking about the origins of certain ranks(CMoH, LSgt etc) and someone asked the question "Why Lance Jack and Full Screw". None of us could come up with a sensible answer and wondered if this was the place to pose the question. Can anyone shed any light. Virtual pint for anything that sounds right :D
  2. Lance jack because now hes got his first stripe he can be a bit jack by ordering the blokes to do the gash jobs.

As for screw, god knows!
  3. Airscrews or WAAFs.
    No idea why Lance jack or Full screw.
  4. Spot on with the Lance Jack explanation Gook, but as for full screw, no idea!
  5. Way off the mark, but is it anyway related to screws in the prison service, being enforcers of discipline and all that?
  6. Bang on the mark actually I believe...
  7. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Until the mid 1800s, prisons, at least in England, were places of punishment only, with no concept of rehabilitation for the prisoners. One of the forms of punishment was to crank a handle attached to a large wooden box. The cranking did nothing, other than turn a counter. The prisoner had to do 10,000 turns in 8 hours, equivalent to one every 3 seconds or so. As an extra punishment a warder could tighten a screw to make turning more difficult. Warders came to be known as 'screws'. By inference, the prisoner was 'screwed' and, although 'screw' remained within the prison environment, eventually 'to be screwed' became widespread.

Nothing changed then!
  8. I don't know how true this is but I’ll throw it out there anyway.
    A reg RSM at a training establishment once told me the background to the Lance Corporal rank was days gone by if a cavalry troopers' lance was broken or horse died or could no longer act in a Calvary capacity then he has transferred to the Infantry. Now because the cavalry was deemed to be senior to the infantry, Troopers/lancers in the Calvary were automatically given the rank of Lance Corporal on transfer...

like I said, not sure if it’s true but there you go.

10. Screws and the prison service. A mate who entred the Prison service post mentioned to me that the term 'Nonce' for a sexual deviante came from the days when the Prisoners offence was written in chalk on a board outside his cell.
    As sexual deviance was not understood in thoes days (is it now) they started to write 'NO Such OffeNCE' other then bum bandit or kiddey fiddler or what ever and this shortent to Nonce.
    Myth probaly on par with Constable On Patrol, COP.
  11. On ranks again, the rank of Lieutenant General always throws up some debate.

There seem to be two schools of thought as to why they are senior to Major Generals:

1) The original highest British Rank was Captain General, and so his junior was the Lieutenant General. When Major General was brought in, it was simply made junior.

2) The word Lieu, or in Lieu of, shows that the rank with it is the "place taker" of the rank above. So a Lieutenant may deputise for a Captain at company level (1800's), a Lieutenant Colonel may deputise for a Colonel (1800's, so a L/Col was the senior rank in the regiment behind the honorary colonel), and so the same with Generals. A Lieutenant General is in fact the General's "Place Taker".

I tend to go with option two, but academic books quote them both,

Any ideas?
  12. NONCE="nancy"
  13. NONCE="nancy"
  14. I was told once that Major General came from Sergeant Major General orginally, again could be urban legend
  15. yes i heard the army was like a company of the day

capt gen was head honcho
    lt gen was his 2ic
    sgt maj gen was IC admin etc.

then the capt and sgt titles were dropped and thats what we're left with today.