Lance corporal after phase 2 training!??

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Sheepay

War Hero
A very good change, long over due in my opinion.
And (as far as I'm aware) a 'change' that hasn't happened. It's always been the case. Most techs get their tape because they DO make the grade.

A tech sits the same cadre as anyone else, they're simply afforded the opportunity to do do earlier. A lot is expected from a baby tech, and if they pass out with their Lance Jack then it is duly earned. Confidence to use that rank is another issue, and an issue that should possibly be addressed by the cadre if you feel it's not adequate.

Having transferred to another Corps I see the argument from another side. As a Lance Jack I was once asked to wash out a sink, and then had my attempt at washing said sink assessed by a RAF Warrant Officer. At least the REME understand the level of responsibility they can expect from their JNCO's.

Honestly, having seen a different side of the coin I would not be criticising the REME method.

Be assured that any trade that furnish's you with an immediate stripe will also keep you well away from commanding soldiers...thank ****.
Ammo Techs will. Whats the problem? It's only Pte soldiers.

Drifter21

Old-Salt
My young un spent just over 2 years to complete phase 1 and 2 trg as an aircraft tech ,he was badly injured on an assault course and back coursed, the accident was someone elses fault.

I was always disparaging about tech promotion, however when he wasn't learning how to fix helicopters he was doing low level infantry exercises, being given the oppportunity on numerous occasions to lead a section, admin them in the field and back in the block, as well as organising functions and days out etc

He had to complete BCCS as well as his trade trg in order to qualify for his LCpl. Of 14 starting his course in Jan 2010, 6 finished, only 3 got their LCpl.

I remeber him showing me a maths equation, it was nigh on 3 pages long, he thought it amusing when the instructor expalined the maths to them 'it may look like rocket science..because it basically is'.

Some trades deserve their first tape upon completion of trg purely because of the hours they have had to put in. He had 2-3 hrs coursework each night to complete.

He is fairly well grounded so is unlikely to ever 'pull rank' over someone he knows will take longer to get their first tape purely due to the length of time it takes in that individuals chosen trade. I hope i have taught him respect for all trades/cap badges and what they do, though he does hate toolies, little bat twat.

At the end of the day, you chose your branch you take your chance.

In the JLRRE any rank you attained at Dover you just took with you to your regular unit.
Baby faced RSMs at 17 were a joy to behold.

Very old post i've come across... better pay, less hassle but more expectation to deliver.. u can go in the RAF straight as a flight Sgt but 3 years posting once completed training and obviously u have to cut the mustard of course

Very old post i've come across... better pay, less hassle but more expectation to deliver.. u can go in the RAF straight as a flight Sgt but 3 years posting once completed training and obviously u have to cut the mustard of course
Hopefully he waited the 8 years for that reply.

Well you never know.. i joined without any routes for rank straight away... you have to earn it and the courses are long but i wish i had 2018 onwards---present info to help with those paths to cut out the shit

And (as far as I'm aware) a 'change' that hasn't happened. It's always been the case. Most techs get their tape because they DO make the grade.

A tech sits the same cadre as anyone else, they're simply afforded the opportunity to do do earlier. A lot is expected from a baby tech, and if they pass out with their Lance Jack then it is duly earned. Confidence to use that rank is another issue, and an issue that should possibly be addressed by the cadre if you feel it's not adequate.

Having transferred to another Corps I see the argument from another side. As a Lance Jack I was once asked to wash out a sink, and then had my attempt at washing said sink assessed by a RAF Warrant Officer. At least the REME understand the level of responsibility they can expect from their JNCO's.

Honestly, having seen a different side of the coin I would not be criticising the REME method.
Back in my day, through Bordon early 90's, pass mark of 85% in every element as a VM saw you fast tracked to a stripe.

Well you never know.. i joined without any routes for rank straight away... you have to earn it and the courses are long but i wish i had 2018 onwards---present info to help with those paths to cut out the shit
So you thought that arrse would be the most apropriate place to ask, or mention things related to the current Armed Forces?
Most of us arrsers served at a time when TVs pictures were still black and white, and the SLR was the standard issue rifle. :)