Lancaster in Manchester

#1
Didnt know where to put this and cant see anything about it. But a Lancaster is doing a fly past today ( 16/05/10)over Manchester and was wondering if any body knew about it and the flight details for best veiw??????
 
#2
There are only two airworthy Lancasters; one in the UK (PA474) and one in Canada.

Check the BBMF website for movements of PA474.
 
#3
Doesn't matter the bugger was grounded due to the ASH cloud. What about the feckin big ash cloud over Dresden that never stopped the buggers before did it.
 
#5
ark-angel said:
Doesn't matter the bugger was grounded due to the ASH cloud. What about the feckin big ash cloud over Dresden that never stopped the buggers before did it.
Yer, but we had thousands of them then and we didn't mind looseing a few
 

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
#6
There were no ash clouds over Dresden until after they had fukced off
 
#7
the_boy_syrup said:
There were no ash clouds over Dresden until after they had fukced off
But there was for the later raids that could see the flames from miles away.
Fucking H&S does it again. They even forced a helicopter that was filming the Manchester running events in the city centre to land just in case.
 

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
#8
ark-angel said:
the_boy_syrup said:
There were no ash clouds over Dresden until after they had fukced off
But there was for the later raids that could see the flames from miles away.
.
I think the Yanks suffered from the ash cloud more than the brits
One US AAF B17 squadron got so confused the pushed on and bombed Prague by mistake IIRC

I think the second wave of Lancs were in and out in about 10 minutes but your right about the fire again IIRC the master bomber had to move the aiming point to hit areas that wern't burning
I have a very good book about it I'll dig out the details of it if you want

I think about 10 miles away was the distance they reckond the second wave could stil see the flames at on the way home
 
#9
StickyEnd said:
ark-angel said:
Doesn't matter the bugger was grounded due to the ASH cloud. What about the feckin big ash cloud over Dresden that never stopped the buggers before did it.
It was supposed to be escorted by a Spitfire and a Hurricane as well.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/8685196.stm
The rest of the BBMF were at Duxford for tjhe Spring Air show in honour of the BBMF. (Incluidng I guess the missing spit and Hurricane escort.)

No ash cloud over Duxford and I watched three hurricanes take off and fly as a Vic - possible the first time for a few decades ;)

I was wonderign why the lancaster scheduled for 15.30 didnpot show up.
 
#11
I think the majority were built in Chadderton near Oldham, no entirely sure but think Woodford was final assembley and testing.

Would you believe the workforce actually went on strike while bomber command were still flying combat sorties over Germany, just as an aside.
 
#12
zippy483 said:
I think the majority were built in Chadderton near Oldham, no entirely sure but think Woodford was final assembley and testing.

Would you believe the workforce actually went on strike while bomber command were still flying combat sorties over Germany, just as an aside.
Would you believe that arms manufacturers demanded payment and actually made a profit while the country was at war?
 
#13
jonwilly said:
Where not the majority of Lancs built at Woodford just outside Manchester, as was it's predecessor the twin engined Avro Manchester ?

john
Lancasters were built at a number of locations by several different companies.

Avro (at Chadderton and Yeadon, final assembly Woodford)- 3673
Armstrong Whitworth (at Baginton) - 1329
Austin Motors (at Longbridge, final assembly at Woodford)- 330
Metropolitan Vickers (at Mosley Road, Manchester, final assembly at Woodford or Chester)- 1080
Vickers Armstrong (at Chester or Castle Bromwich) - 535
Victory Aircraft (in Canada)- 430
 
#14
StickyEnd said:
zippy483 said:
I think the majority were built in Chadderton near Oldham, no entirely sure but think Woodford was final assembley and testing.

Would you believe the workforce actually went on strike while bomber command were still flying combat sorties over Germany, just as an aside.
Would you believe that arms manufacturers demanded payment and actually made a profit while the country was at war?
Was more meant as a comment as to how "routine" the war had become on the home front rather than any sort of anti-capitalist dig.
 
#15
Ta baboon
UK aircraft production during the war was an outstanding example of Airframe construction.
The Satellite program I think.
Mero Vicks, Vickers Armstrong pure industrial history, Now whats the works football team from Trafford Park.

john
 
#16
StickyEnd said:
Would you believe that arms manufacturers demanded payment and actually made a profit while the country was at war?
Yeah; but then the alternative was that they made a loss and went into bankruptcy while the country was at war; that's how capitalism works. Income tax was about 19s 6d in the £ (97.5%) for higher earners, I believe, so no-one should have been raking it in during the war.
 
#17
"Income tax was about 19s 6d in the £ (97.5%) for higher earners"

Whew didn't know it was as high as that.
Even more then the days of the Beatles '19 for you and one for me'.
But I don't suppose you could skip off ta the Riviera then.

john
 
#18
Onetap said:
StickyEnd said:
Would you believe that arms manufacturers demanded payment and actually made a profit while the country was at war?
Yeah; but then the alternative was that they made a loss and went into bankruptcy while the country was at war; that's how capitalism works. Income tax was about 19s 6d in the £ (97.5%) for higher earners, I believe, so no-one should have been raking it in during the war.
I believe this to be a very interesting, yet vrtually unknown/unreported part in WW2.
Suppose it wouldn't make a very good war film Saving Ryan's Requesition, or A Lathe Too Far!
 
#19
the_boy_syrup said:
ark-angel said:
the_boy_syrup said:
There were no ash clouds over Dresden until after they had fukced off
But there was for the later raids that could see the flames from miles away.
.
I think the Yanks suffered from the ash cloud more than the brits
One US AAF B17 squadron got so confused the pushed on and bombed Prague by mistake IIRC

I think the second wave of Lancs were in and out in about 10 minutes but your right about the fire again IIRC the master bomber had to move the aiming point to hit areas that wern't burning
I have a very good book about it I'll dig out the details of it if you want

I think about 100 miles away was the distance they reckond the second wave could stil see the flames at on the way home
Think that distance would be more realistic. You'd have seen the flames from 10 miles away on the ground. Up at the bombers height, it's be a lot further.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
jaygee OTC and ACF 1
Sir_Sidney_Ruff_Diamond Infantry 41
B The Intelligence Cell 24

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top