Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lady's Dirty Rugs

HI,

The Mrs and I have just moved house, and I need to clean some of her soft furnishings (fnarr, fnarr...). While I'm at it I thought I would steam clean all the carpets in the house, including the stairs.

Does anyone have recommendations for Carpet Cleaning / cleaners? I am aware of the 'Rug Doctor' company, but are there any machines for hire that are better / worse from experience?

Cheers,

T.

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
Used a VAX wet cleaner some years ago.
A tedious operation.

Unless you have time on your hands, pay someone to do it for you. They will do a better job and faster than you can.

Depending where you live there are numerous local companies that will do it for you. There are at least 6 within 10 miles of us.

MoleBath

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Wet vac done by a professional looks pretty good , also a moment to clean / replace vacuum cleaner filters to maintain the effect.

Used a VAX wet cleaner some years ago.
A tedious operation.

Unless you have time on your hands, pay someone to do it for you. They will do a better job and faster than you can.

Depending where you live there are numerous local companies that will do it for you. There are at least 6 within 10 miles of us.
I'd second that. Middle son and has missus moved out of a rented flat a year or two back. Cream/Buff coloured carpets. Exactly what you want with a 3 year old running around the place. Got someone local with a machine and he did the whole flat in a couple of hours. Cracking job and not expensive.

Sounds like hiring a person to sort it is the way forward - cheers chaps.

Sounds like hiring a person to sort it is the way forward - cheers chaps.
For sure. Get the settings wrong and you’ve got water leaking into floor spaces with wiring. Any DIY saving can very quickly disappear in a blue flash and puff of purple smoke.

Don’t ask me how I know this.

Bissell pet pro. Tge dogs danglies. Easy to use. Top results...

To borrow a phrase from my then 4-year old daughter, I was “risgusted” with the manky brown water that came out of the machine after cleaning carpets. The hot steam ones give the best cleaning, but run the risk of shrinking the carpets if the extraction isn’t that great. Today we have no carpets at all. Tile throughout, and easily-replaceable rugs where necessary. “Hot water extraction” is the method the pros use, but as I say, it can shrink the carpets if not done right.

To borrow a phrase from my then 4-year old daughter, I was “risgusted” with the manky brown water that came out of the machine after cleaning carpets. The hot steam ones give the best cleaning, but run the risk of shrinking the carpets if the extraction isn’t that great. Today we have no carpets at all. Tile throughout, and easily-replaceable rugs where necessary. “Hot water extraction” is the method the pros use, but as I say, it can shrink the carpets if not done right.
Carpet is definitely not the way.

We had a man come with the kit installed in his transit van , ran hoses in to the house and did a splendid job , the carpets came up like new and were pretty dry and could be walked upon straight away.
I would advise putting the dogs away though ! they wanted to "kill" the equipment .
He was fully insured and considering the speed and lack of disruption it was well worth it.

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
For sure. Get the settings wrong and you’ve got water leaking into floor spaces with wiring. Any DIY saving can very quickly disappear in a blue flash and puff of purple smoke.

Don’t ask me how I know this.
You had @MrBane do it for you?

HI,

The Mrs and I have just moved house, and I need to clean some of her soft furnishings (fnarr, fnarr...). While I'm at it I thought I would steam clean all the carpets in the house, including the stairs.

Does anyone have recommendations for Carpet Cleaning / cleaners? I am aware of the 'Rug Doctor' company, but are there any machines for hire that are better / worse from experience?

Cheers,

T.
Yup, get her to do it.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
whenever I've needed carpets doing I borrow my father in laws old professional carpet cleaning machine.

it's not difficult, just boring and time consuming.

There are 'dry' alternatives to wet cleaning

Local bloke is going to do it - been running his own company for 35 years; highly rated. For 3 x bedrooms, 2 x sets of stairs and a landing - £190. Bargain.