Ladybird Book of The Policeman

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by jack-daniels, Apr 3, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Oh Lordy!!!

Attached Files:

2. That's f*cking brilliant.

3. More

Attached Files:

4. i got this in an emial. there were more than three stories though IIRC?

5. And more!

Attached Files:

6. And the last.

Attached Files:

7. Woops missed one.

Attached Files:

8. my fave is 14...

"sometimes policemen can't find any young black men to arrest, so they have to arrest some white men instead"

PMSL

9. The Army one is cracking-got any screen shots of that JD?

10. Got that emailed to me too, it's brilliant isn't it? :D :D :D :D

11. No mate, just got this today.

12. Wished I'd thought of this post - Army one please

13. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Fantastic- I might have to dig out some of my old Ladybird books and have a pop at something similar!! :twisted:

14. Where do I sign up ?

The ARMY

The Soldier, in 1966, was the first in the series to be issued in the matt cover, dust-jacket-less format. Written by I & J Havenhand, illustrated by Berry, it is, as you might expect, full of tanks, guns, rockets and other exciting bits of machinery. Today’s high technology is not much in evidence; "all regiments of the army have radios in case the telephone wires get broken". The engineers have an especially exciting job; "radios, watches, telphones, rockets, tanks and helicopters are among the many things that the soldiers mend in their workshops". However, nowhere in the book does it mention that the ultimate job of the fighting soldier is to kill people...
    The Navy

Following the Soldier, the Sailor and Airman followed in 1967, using the same editorial team. Barry’s technical expertise shines out of the illustrations of ships and he can be perhaps forgiven for the cheesy grin on the face of the rating who is dashing up the stairs on the cover shot. On page 51 there is a great shot of a sailor falling out of his hammock.

The Airforce

The Airman (in the Royal Air Force) was, like the other two, quite a "person centred" depiction, written as a recruiting advert. Everyone is skilled, everyone gets on with their fellow officers and you get to ride in exciting new jets,