Lady on Al Jazeera sets the record straight...

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Alsacien, Oct 30, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

It is extremely surprising that the Arab financed TV in Dubai
    would allow this to air. Be sure and watch this, it is so powerful I
    have no doubt she now has a very large price on her head. I also have
    no doubt it won't be on the air long.

http://switch3.castup.net/cunet/gm.asp?ai=214&ar=1050wmv&ak=nul

One impressive woman. Here is a powerful and amazing
    statement on Al Jereeza television. The woman is Wafa Sultan, an
    Arab-American psychologist.

2. ANy chance of a transcript?

3. Dead women, neither the left will tolerate a women speaking up for her freedom as its likely to offend Muslims, nor will the vast majority of Muslims accept this. Well done on her for speaking a trully emaculate piece of common sense, but good chance it will be RIP soon

4. Wow! Just watched the video. Very, very brave woman and spoke a lot of common sense too.

She is on Wikipedia and it says that she recorded that piece called, "The Opposite Direction" in Feb 2006 and now lives in USA and has done since 1989. Probably why she felt brave enough to speak up.

5. I would have liked to see it all not just the edited bits.

And I would agree, after he called her heretic it is not likely she will get to the spring sales.

6. Even if she does live in the States, very brave to put her, very sensible, case in such a way.

7. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

If she lasts that long, the book could be a goody.

8. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Talking a lot of sense. Loved the put down to the Imam(?) who accused her of being a heretic, 'you can believe in stones if you like but just don't throw them at me'.

9. I suspect that she speaks for maybe 99% of muslims; its just a shame that the 1% get all the headlines.

10. I've seen that before it's quite old but nonetheless powerful. I wish we had someone like her able to do the same in this country. Bit hard for the PC brigade to chastise a muslim woman.

11. This is old news, but nonetheless, she is a brave individual.

Al-J is pretty open-handed in its reportage, with prominent Israelis including Shimon Peres and others having been on.

In addition, they are hated by ALQ, especially now as their dissection of Bin Laden's latest missive. The jihadist forums routinely lambast al-Jazeera, along with the other Arab media outlets, for not acting as the propaganda outlets that they'd like. They've been frustrated for years with al-Jazeera's presentation of the tapes, cutting them up and airing only the newsworthy bits, with commentary and analysis from often unsympathetic guests. That's one of the many reasons that they came to rely on the internet distribution method, so that they wouldn't be at al-Jazeera's mercy. Still, it's clear that this one is something special - they are genuinely outraged, beyond the norm.

The main charge being leveled against al-Jazeera is that its presentation of the tape was fundamentally misleading because it made it seem like he was talking about al-Qaeda's mistakes and misfortunes when the full tape makes quite clear that he wasn't - he was offering advice and praise to all mujahideen, which to these interpreters was the whole point. There's also a lot of anger out there that the people who made their instant analyses based on the al-Jazeera version haven't come forward and changed their public views.

Ah, media criticism and bashing pundits- the common glue which binds together internet activists across cultures and political divides. :D

12. Here's a complete transcript- MEMRI distorted the mufti's input somewhat, as, presumably unintentionally, did the NYT.

http://aqoul.com/images/wafa_sultan.pdf

But anyway, good on her, she's a testament to Syrian secular education...

13. Unfortunatly as much sense as she makes she is one small lamp shining in a very dark room.

14. The Stern Gang regularly bombed Arab restaurants in 1940s Palestine.

She is an ex-Muslim with no credibility amongst the Islamic world.