Ladder trap update

The main raptor we have in this area is a large population of WTEs, the hoodies give them laldy which is a plus for the hoodie in my book. Interestingly enough, the WTE has a pechant for moggies and small dogs, something the wooly hatted crowd do not like to publicise. Hoodies are exceptionally difficult to trap here, the best way to deal with them is fast lead.

Slightly unusual crow problem this year in that they decided to attack the windows all round the house.
Blood on the windows, deep scratches and shit all over the window ledges.
Worst of all waking everybody up at first light.
Anyone in your house practising demon summoning at the moment?

The main raptor we have in this area is a large population of WTEs, the hoodies give them laldy which is a plus for the hoodie in my book. Interestingly enough, the WTE has a pechant for moggies and small dogs, something the wooly hatted crowd do not like to publicise. Hoodies are exceptionally difficult to trap here, the best way to deal with them is fast lead.
Not to mention the other fact the woolly hat crowd don’t publicise which is when the WTE push out the Goldies.

Last edited:
Not to mention the other fact the woolly hat crowd don’t publicise which is when the WTE push out the Goldies.
Indeed, I have had a couple of ding dongs with folks on line over this. The usual statement that there is no evidence is so much rubbish, RSPB have the evidence, they just choose to keep it very, very quite.
We had three Goldies found dead here some years ago. The usual crowd were braying that they had been shot as all had puncture wounds on them. My statement that they looked more like claw marks but certainly did not look like any GSW I had ever seen was laughed at. They were sent away for PM and all went very, very quite. Turns out all had fatal talon puncture wounds. Who would have though!

Slightly unusual crow problem this year in that they decided to attack the windows all round the house.
Blood on the windows, deep scratches and shit all over the window ledges.
Worst of all waking everybody up at first light.
A new family of crows has nested in the trees at the end of our garden. They too have been attacking the glass roof above our sitting room. Very keen on trying to remove the rubber gaskets holding the glass in. They are not afraid of me shouting and waving my arms about.

A while back I constructed a ladder trap to help control the crow and magpie population here.
Whilst the ladder trap has had moderate success I decided on a change of methodology . Once I have captured a decoy bird in the larsen trap
I then place it inside the ladder trap, the has proven to be very effective, before the larsen trap would average a bird or two during the week, the same for the ladder trap.As of two days ago the capture rate has dramatically increased. Monday and Tuesday 4 birds each day , this morning a magpie caught in the larsen trap at first light 02:00 ish was placed in the ladder trap at 03;00. by 08:00 I had this

View attachment 585321

So two dispatched and one kept as decoy, already another showing interest sitting on the ladder trap.
This process would be so much more efficient if you first shot Chris Packham…

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
We have loads of pigeons shitting everywhere, takes me ages to clean it up before the grandchildren visit
I read in the paper that thousands of racing pigeons were missing
not surprising, the Royal Pigeon Racing Association rather quickly during lockdown sorted planning permission and over 2 days demolished their large old Victorian HQ a prominent local landmark
now just a pile of rubble and a ditch
no wonder the birds get lost !
I have ordered a catapult to have a go at the magpies, they are pissing me off as well

We have loads of pigeons shitting everywhere, takes me ages to clean it up before the grandchildren visit
I read in the paper that thousands of racing pigeons were missing
not surprising, the Royal Pigeon Racing Association rather quickly during lockdown sorted planning permission and over 2 days demolished their large old Victorian HQ a prominent local landmark
now just a pile of rubble and a ditch
no wonder the birds get lost !
I have ordered a catapult to have a go at the magpies, they are pissing me off as well
Here in Ontario pigeons are a plague due to a ponzi scam about 15 years ago. With many barns and sheds sitting empty, a chap who called himself the pigeon king started flogging off pigeons to breed for meat. He advertised they were the chicken of the future and enjoyed by the newly expanding immigrant population which kinda made sense after seeing who the latest groups that were emigrating to Ontario. The idea was you would buy breeding stock from the pigeon king and after your flock got so big, he’d buy them all for processing, problem was he never bought them. Millions of pigeons were raised and eventually released because farmers and other rural folk didn’t want to be stuck with them and they are overpopulated to this day, nothing more than flying rats.

Latest Threads