Lack of sleep is a lot like mental illness

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Blogg, Oct 26, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

blib flibber floob grrrnnnggghhh.

Late night last night?

blib gliberr frooby stab slash!

2. And not 'like making love to a beautiful woman'? That's what Des told me it was, anyway.

3. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

I thought the Compton Report proved that sleep depravition didnt exist?

4. I read an army card years ago on sleep and it seemed to show that for basically simple stuff (like firing a rifle) you can get by on 4 hours, but below that things go to ratishit quite quickly.

5. So if I sleep more, the voices will go away will they?

I think not!

6. I had insomnia in Kosovo for around 5 days, it was horrible, very strange.

7. Yeah, I thought that about Kosovo as well. I found sleeping loads helped. :lol:

Personally I wonder if it's not a chicken-and-egg scenarion. Are people susceptible to mental illness also susceptible to insomnia or does lack of sufficient sleep cause signs of mental illness. I've known incidents that could bear out either case.

8. "Are people susceptible to mental illness also susceptible to insomnia or does lack of sufficient sleep cause signs of mental illness"

That's an interesting point. Eye surgery and being right royally f******d about by a woman gave me chronic insomnia last year - months on end - and I was amazed that I didn't collapse completely. Less than an hour a night, sometimes no sleep at all, lucky to get a couple of fitful hours, for months.......I tried to take something positive from it; if you don't go totally doolally under that kind of pressure you probably never will.

"The Promise of Sleep" is quite an interesting book by the (purported) world expert.

9. Depression particulary (but others too) is one of the common causes of true insomnia.

10. Then half of ARRSE have mental issues...

11. Sleep requirements. " Four hours for a man, six for a fool, eight for a woman" Napoleon.

12. What an enlightening first post. Welcome to ARRSE.

13. You can loose a lot of sleep wondering which half.

14. GoodKurtz ain't slept since 9/11 when Lee Harvey Oswald blew up the Towers and staged a cover up involving some young chaps from the Saudi youth Hostel association and some model aircraft. But he's as sane Hugo McMadd from Madtown, Loonyshire.