Lack of sleep is a lot like mental illness

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
Blogg said:
http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg19626275.500-lack-of-sleep-is-a-lot-like-mental-illness.html

Well that explains a lot. Such as why after a few nights out on the lash some people do tend to behave like nutters. With hangovers of course.
blib flibber floob grrrnnnggghhh.

Late night last night?

blib gliberr frooby stab slash!

And not 'like making love to a beautiful woman'? That's what Des told me it was, anyway.

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
I thought the Compton Report proved that sleep depravition didnt exist?

I read an army card years ago on sleep and it seemed to show that for basically simple stuff (like firing a rifle) you can get by on 4 hours, but below that things go to ratishit quite quickly.

I had insomnia in Kosovo for around 5 days, it was horrible, very strange.

smudge67 said:
I had insomnia in Kosovo for around 5 days, it was horrible, very strange.
Yeah, I thought that about Kosovo as well. I found sleeping loads helped. :lol:

Personally I wonder if it's not a chicken-and-egg scenarion. Are people susceptible to mental illness also susceptible to insomnia or does lack of sufficient sleep cause signs of mental illness. I've known incidents that could bear out either case.

"Are people susceptible to mental illness also susceptible to insomnia or does lack of sufficient sleep cause signs of mental illness"

That's an interesting point. Eye surgery and being right royally f******d about by a woman gave me chronic insomnia last year - months on end - and I was amazed that I didn't collapse completely. Less than an hour a night, sometimes no sleep at all, lucky to get a couple of fitful hours, for months.......I tried to take something positive from it; if you don't go totally doolally under that kind of pressure you probably never will.

"The Promise of Sleep" is quite an interesting book by the (purported) world expert.

gobbyidiot said:
"Are people susceptible to mental illness also susceptible to insomnia or does lack of sufficient sleep cause signs of mental illness"
Depression particulary (but others too) is one of the common causes of true insomnia.

Then half of ARRSE have mental issues...

trowel said:
Sleep requirements. " Four hours for a man, six for a fool, eight for a woman" Napoleon.
What an enlightening first post. Welcome to ARRSE.

goodkurtz said:
RitchieRitch69 said:
Then half of ARRSE have mental issues...
You can loose a lot of sleep wondering which half.

GoodKurtz ain't slept since 9/11 when Lee Harvey Oswald blew up the Towers and staged a cover up involving some young chaps from the Saudi youth Hostel association and some model aircraft. But he's as sane Hugo McMadd from Madtown, Loonyshire.

oooo

I think it was the Jewish comic Jackie Mason who said, "Show me someone who sleeps a lot and I'll show you a dope". And you know, when you start looking for it he's got a point.

hogspawn said:
Dunno about mental illnes, but I've had insomnia for years, and apparently, it's like being pi$$ed:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/36016.php
I've always found this interesting. Clearly sleep deprivation is used in training to sort the sheep from the goats. Anytime I was doing it I was aware that I had effectively lost a few IQ points and would have to make up for that in some way.

This however raises the question (for me anyway) that the problem isn't so much that you lose some mental horsepower but that you lose the ability to become detached from the problem. It also occurs to me that a quote from Kurt Vonnegut I saw recently might apply. I cant google it at the moment so I'll paraphrase. Essentially he says that psychotics do well in decision making positions because they are so decisive, while the rest of us worry over the consequences they make a decision and crack on. Might this be magnified in this situation?