Lack of rabbits?

"They ought to have a nationwide cull of corvids"

any of those murdering bar stewards that get within range are targeted, they are bad news...they slaughter the chicks and the young songbirds in spring, wily buggers though, they see you with a rifle or shotgun and give you a wide berth but fly right overhead if you are empty handed

On another note, my FAC application is currently with Northern Constabulary, I have had a good chat with the firearms officer up here (at home and work) and my gun cabinet is enroute. Now ... advice on a good ,22 for bunny shooting please? My air rifle is being retired!
Ruger 10/22 or CZ 452 with a moderator fitted depending on whether you want bolt action or semi auto. I'd go for the 10/22.

On another note, my FAC application is currently with Northern Constabulary, I have had a good chat with the firearms officer up here (at home and work) and my gun cabinet is enroute. Now ... advice on a good ,22 for bunny shooting please? My air rifle is being retired!
Can't go wrong with a 10/22, good honest rifle with lots of potential to upgrade

I use a moderated GSG-5 with a SUSAT or the FN/SLR .22lr with SUIT, we never seem to have trouble with trespassers or poachers here? ;-)

Dont know if its of use to anyone, but 2 places i know which are full of rabbits as im there regularly

The old ICI factory at Ardeer
Anywhere around Hunterston Ore terminal

Both in North Ayrshire
Ayrshire has always had millions of them. I had one of my headlights smashed by a massive bastard that jumped out on the Dunure Road about a year ago. Shat myself.

The Carrick Hills always seemed to be infested with them, too.

There are still enough to devour around 2k worth of stock a month at a bedding plant nursery my bro in law & I shoot in Kent. Having said that on our last few drive arounds we got 3 to 5 which is a big drop from the twenty to thirty we usually get a night. The damage is still being done tho so they are out there. We use a .17 HMR with a pulsar night scope so dont have to sneak up on them too close & our route & timing is always random. We cant shoot during the day because of the staff & cant use a running dog because of the damage they cause tearing across a bedding plant field, so once it gets a little warmer & the ground softens ( no fun digging out a lay up in frozen ground) we gonna take a walk out with the ferrets & nets & see if the lil buggers are deciding to play at day.

Thanks for the advice on rifle, think I will go with the Ruger.

Just back from a walk on the hills and did not see one rabbit! Saw 4 mountain hare and a grouse mind.

Just back in, three bunnies and two confirmed hits, they jumped but scuttled off to die somewhere :-(

Shooting at 100 yards uphill, picked one particular warren, had to shoot long range as open field and the only decent back stop meant shooting from the hedgerow at the bottom.

Picked up a fox on the way back, my mate took him with a head shot when he stopped dead in his tracks (literally as it turned out) and he very obligingly stuck his head up to see what was in front of him.

A quieter day than I had hoped but still chuffed as it has been so barren since before Crimble.

Lots of woodies and crows about though, could have done with taking one of the shotguns down

Banana mags used to cause jams on the 10/22's I have used, the standard ten shots were ok, think the banana ones are still available?

Thanks for the advice on rifle, think I will go with the Ruger.

Just back from a walk on the hills and did not see one rabbit! Saw 4 mountain hare and a grouse mind.
Not wanting to put a spanner in the works, but I would not recommend a 10/22 for anything other than plinking. If you want to have a more rapid reload than achieved by a conventional bolt action, but want some accuracy and a piece of kit to enjoy on the range at 100m from time to time have a look at the Browning T-Bolt. It's adjustable trigger, rapid straight-pull action and excellent barrel make for a bloody lovely rabbiting rifle.

Attachments

Not seen a single bunny on my country manor estate, normally the neighbours are squealing about them needing culling but you can't even get the buggers in the butchers or my local

I've not even pumped up my bottles from last year yet

Could the lack of rabbits be, in any conceivable way, linked to the fact that the UK has just lost its AAA rating. Don't rabbits rely on AAA?

I know the admirable collection my missus has does!

The problem with 10/22s is by the time you've spent enough to make it fit for anything other than plinking you might as well have bought something decent in the first place.
The T-Bolt is good although the trigger can be a bit heavy, and it shoots very nearly as quickly as a semi with less gubbins to clean and a rotary magazine that works.
if you must have a semi I see CZ have a new model out or better get a Thompson Centre R55.

All that said I know a chap who bought a Walther G22 specifically to shoot rabbits from the confined space of a tractor cab and still swears by it five or six years later. It's a sod to clean though.

Not wanting to put a spanner in the works, but I would not recommend a 10/22 for anything other than plinking.
Agree. Bolt action all the way. CZ variety or the older BRNO mod 2. You can pick up a 2nd hand BRNO for £100 or less. Shabbier the better, strip it down, sand and oil and you'll have a cracking, good looking accurate rifle that'll last a lifetime.

I am waiting on my variation to come through so I can collect one of these little .22lr bolt action jobs

Lee-Enfield Rifle No.4 (T) .22RF

I have also asked for a slot for a No 5 jungle carbine, buggers to shoot and they show all your faults but I have always fancied one :)

I am waiting on my variation to come through so I can collect one of these little .22lr bolt action jobs

Lee-Enfield Rifle No.4 (T) .22RF

I have also asked for a slot for a No 5 jungle carbine, buggers to shoot and they show all your faults but I have always fancied one :)
Whatever floats your boat, but No.5's are the Devil in my opinion! Have fun though, that's the main thing!

I like a challenge, these days (even with a scope on my proper 4(t)) I mainly shoot over 200 yds on short Siberia, how hard can it be ;-)