Lack of rabbits?

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by vvaannmmaann, Feb 17, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. On another field sports site it has been noted that there seems to be a lack of rabbits across the country.Here in East Sussex I am not seeing many on my estate.Is this a nation wide problem? Any thoughts as to a possible cause?

2. Constant wet weather giving the little ones pneumonia.

3. There used to be loads of them round here, but since coming back a week or so ago, not a one.

Maybe I ate more of them last year than I though

• Like Like x 1
  4. When was that? I remember there used to be a fuckload of squirrels down by the water point, but apart from one that dug a hole in the middle of my shiny new STL in the model grounds, not really all that many rabbits

Rats though, down at the old QM(Tech) sheds and in the cookhouse - biblical

5. How can the lack of vermin be a problem?

6. Sounds about right, Pasteurella is having a very good year so far, my cousin went to drop off some dead sheep at the kennels and tells me that between pneumonia and Schmallenberg the flesh-house is stacked six high.

7. Lack of rabbits. Foxes start worrying livestock. Foxes die off due to lack of food. Rabbit population booms due to lack of predators. Fox population booms due to plentiful food. Overpopulation breeds disease and lots of foxes rapidly bring numbers down. Return to start.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

8. I left two years ago and they were a menace then

No horsemeat was used in the production of this post

9. The only danger I can remember from Keogh was fat arse Glenda from the Ash Vale Hotel (no longer extant).

• Like Like x 1
  10. Her? Or the hotel? RIP just in case............

11. It is when one of your hobbies is shooting and hunting them.

The bunny huntings been very grim recently, not been many around at all, previous years getting at least half doz min each time out was normal, last few times out ferreting has been nil, not been worth the effort at all.
    That said, there seems to be a lot more fox about at the moment.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Not for long see post #9

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

13. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

lack of fox hunting might have something to do with it, and the two years of shit weather wont help, Am I right in thinking rabbits are one of those critters who can turn off their breeding cycle when stressed?

mind you I have a feeling general woundwort might have finally perfected stealth technology.