Lack of Moral Courage

I flag this article up as an example of the sad state of 'moral courage' in our country.

BBC News - Man stabbed defending London bus passengers has 'no regrets'

The Ozzie - hats off to him - on a crowded bus, made a stand when no one else did a thing, not even the driver. It appears that everyone sat and tried to ignore it. The result - he gets stabbed twice (once in the ARRSE)

The recent Baha Mousa Report highlighted failures due to 'lack of moral courage'

Many years ago I was faced with a similar incident on a train, with a drunk abusive passenger. At the time I was pretty fit, remonstrated with him over his behaviour towards other passengers and, when he took a swing at me, pinned him to the table. The Conductor - who had done sweet FA up to that point - reluctantly chucked him off at the next station. I made him apologise to the passengers first.

Is it a sign of the times we have to be shown by Australians where our moral compass should point?

Please, please tell me that others on this forum have shown 'Moral Courage'. Restore my faith in society.

If he'd ignored the bloke, he wouldn't have been stabbed.

Maybe one for the lawyers?
If I had been on that bus and yer man attacked me,I could use "reasonable force" to defend myself.
However what is the situation if I try to defend another passenger.Am I then guilty of assault?

If he'd ignored the bloke, he wouldn't have been stabbed.
Yes, however a couple of Grannies would also probably have been too scared to take the bus again.

Do you not see a connection between allowing this sort of behaviour to go unchecked and the recent 'riots'?

Yes, however a couple of Grannies would also probably have been too scared to take the bus again.

Do you not see a connection between allowing this sort of behaviour to go unchecked and the recent 'riots'?
Those grannies are now mentally scarred, gibbering wrecks because they've just witnessed a bloke being knifed in front of them.

I wonder if they pissed themselves with fear.............mmmmm.

Come on, there must be some of you who have taken a stand at sometime (and probably been royally shafted for it).

Lets hear some inspirational stories.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Come on, there must be some of you who have taken a stand at sometime (and probably been royally shafted for it).

Now you've ******* done it !
Every fantasist and his three-legged dog will be on here now telling of "the time I saw these thugs off !"

Has that Tesco trolley bloke not pitched yet ?

I think that an awful lot of people prefer to turn the other cheek either because they're scared of violence against them or of being accused of assault themselves.

Neither should worry them, they should do what they think is right first and worry about consequences second. In this case the victim merely tried to use persuasion from where he was sat.

Good on him, I wish there were more like him.

i beat up a kid who beat up my wee brother, he was 12 but i was about 14 and a foot taller. does this count or is it the opposite?

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
Now you've ******* done it !
Every fantasist and his three-legged dog will be on here now telling of "the time I saw these thugs off !"

Has that Tesco trolley bloke not pitched yet ?
I remember it well, there was this one time, when i was cleaning the windows on an Embassy balcony...

I told my Troop Sgt to piss off in 1993 after he put me on guard last thing on a Friday of millionaires weekend - got filled in for it, been going with the flow ever since.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
He will soon, as the "balcony" has been mentioned.
Too late.

I remember it well, there was this one time, when i was cleaning the windows on an Embassy balcony...
"One time, at Tescos, when a particularly strong five year old refused to take the trolley back to the shop, I grabbed her..."

Saw some kids (15/16 y/o) openly carrying sheath knives knifes outside Morrisons at Farnborough when I was in UK last year. Told a Morrisons security guard who said that, since they were outside the building it was nothing to do with him. So I called the police on the non emergency line and got a call centre which might was well have been in in Mogadishu, since the guy who answered the phone didn't know where Farnborough was.

When I told him I was calling about 5 youths carrying knives in Morrisons car park, he asked me if they had attacked anyone yet. When I answered no, he became a bit aggressive and asked me if I was trying to cause trouble. I cut him short and gave him a bollocking and told him to get on and do his job.

Eventually a couple of coppers turned up looking bored and pissed off, got out of their car stood and looked around the car park from where they were, got back in the car and pissed off, driving past the 5 youths on the way.

I don't bother reporting anything now. Whether I would do anything if someone else was being attacked would depend on the circumstances. But if I did it might well be lethal force since I am older now and would prolly only get one chance against a younger, drug crazed person.