• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Lack of Kiwi?

What's happened to Kiwi shoe polish? Morrisons, Sainsbury's, Tesco's, Wilkinsons ... even Boyes has stopped selling it in favour of some gunk called 'Punch' or 'Cherry Blossom'.

I usually have several tins of the stuff, but I've pretty much run out so I've had to order some online. The nearest I can get in the shops is Parade Gloss, but I have plenty of that.

It did occur to me that like some brands and shops recently it could have gone into administration but I've been unable to find any evidence of that.

I've used Cherry Blossom before and thrown it away, it's just not Kiwi. It's just blown my mind that something as bread and butter as Kiwi has to be bought online now or maybe I'm just too old school.

Thanks a fecking lot corporate supermarket chains.

Last edited by Badger_Heed; Today at 11:57. Reason: Just realised this is in the TA forum which makes me wonder "why?" as most STABS are incapable of cleaning their kit.
Agreed. You should go through TA Basic and see for yourself why. Obviously the culture differs greatly with it being weekends and a two week course as apposed to 3 months solid training. Basic in the Regs puts alot of pressure onto recruits to get their kit sharp, or at least they did when I was there. Basic in the TA is try and get them to switch on for long enough to get basic rifle, NBC, BCD drills into their heads with the absolute minimum amount of instructors. By no means am I giving them an excuse, it takes 10 mins to show a recruit how to iron their kit etc...

Agreed. You should go through TA Basic and see for yourself why. Obviously the culture differs greatly with it being weekends and a two week course as apposed to 3 months solid training. Basic in the Regs puts alot of pressure onto recruits to get their kit sharp, or at least they did when I was there. Basic in the TA is try and get them to switch on for long enough to get basic rifle, NBC, BCD drills into their heads with the absolute minimum amount of instructors. By no means am I giving them an excuse, it takes 10 mins to show a recruit how to iron their kit etc...
I've got a couple of free hours on Saturday so I'll give it a whirl.

What's happened to Kiwi shoe polish? Morrisons, Sainsbury's, Tesco's, Wilkinsons ... even Boyes has stopped selling it in favour of some gunk called 'Punch' or 'Cherry Blossom'. I usually have several tins of the stuff, but I've pretty much run out so I've had to order some online. The nearest I can get in the shops is Parade Gloss, but I have plenty of that.It did occur to me that like some brands and shops recently it could have gone into administration but I've been unable to find any evidence of that.
Get your storeman to demand it. KIWI polish, NSN 7930-99-151-5012. It comes in a box of 12x100ml. :)

Try your local independent cobbler, not the kiosks that trade in the shopping malls, but a proper cobbler if you can find one. Mine stocks Kiwi (and decent laces)

Don't forget that Kiwi has been taken over (twice) by Americans so be ready for any amount of "instant spit shine honor guard" liquid EZ use applicator "traditional" KIWI polish to be the only stuff available soon.

Latest Threads