Lack of food vs Keeping fit

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Belt_Twit, Feb 25, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I sustained a head injury around 2 weeks ago and since then have been unable to keep any food down. I'm 6'4" and was around 14.5 stone previously, now I'm down to about 13.6 stone. Doctors orders are not to do any sort of physical exertion (or drink, the barsteward!) - problem is whilst I am losing fat, I'm likely to be losing a fair bit of muscle as well.

Is there anything I can do to stop muscle being lost without being able to run/do any heavy gym work? Are high protein content shakes worth giving a go to keep my muscles in shape? I don't want to lose weight but look like a flabby, floppy skinned scrote.

2. Keep your protein intake high and try not to drop your calories much under maintenance.
  3. I can't keep my calories high as I'm chucking every time I eat! So I'm getting extremely low intake at the moment, which is why I am losing weight.
  4. you shouldn't still be vomiting 2 weeks after a head injury. Get thee back to the med centre and get it checked out asap!!
  5. Try using some resistance bands, don't take much energy and its a fairly good substitute for other things.
  6. Done so twice - they just took blood/did CT scans and told me there's nothing wrong and it must still be the head injury... so not much I can do there unfortunately.

I'd like to keep my abdomen/chest(moobs) from getting flabby, legs and arms tend to get a bit of exercise through general walking/banging one out. It's my body core I am mostly worried about, as that'd take the longest to get rid of fat from and to then build back.
  7. Answered your own question there really.

Without stimulation and food, muscle atrophy will occur. Many other factors will affect this, but focus on getting better and take it from there.
  8. Sarastro

Sarastro LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Any chance you can strongarm med centre or GP to get you a short supply of the same stuff they keep nil by mouth folks on in the hospital? If you point out that basically you are involuntarily starving yourself, they should do something.

Other thing is it takes a relatively small amount of exercise to retain fitness / muscle over the short term, so long as you are getting a basic amount of protein etc. So try and find a way of getting that basic amount (via liquid it seems) and then keep the exercise very low key, easy pace so you aren't burning too much off.
  9. BBear

BBear LE Reviewer

Sitting on an exercise ball will help keep your core ticking over, big tip from my physio that!
  10. Good tip on the pilates ball!

how about swimming?
  11. BBear

BBear LE Reviewer

It's not a ******* pilates ball, its an exercise ball. FFS, next you'll be doing pilates, yoga and spinning classes!
  12. I'll try and find the name of the stuff, but there's a 'chocolate milk' type thing that you can get in CCU / ICU and at about twice the size of a Yakult jobby it's got nearly 3000 Calories in it!

Best start making friends with the QA's I think.

T C
  13. BBear

BBear LE Reviewer

That would be brown peoples spunk, that was meant to be frozen for use after they had the "snip". You dirty man you.
  14. Well I don't care it was delicious!

T C
  15. if you are being sick after two weeks I'd suggest seeing your Doc