Lack of communication with reserve unit

Hi all,

So my application to join the Army reserve took almost a year and half. This was due to needing medical evidence that was hard to come by with the pandemic.

As soon as I applied to my chosen unit, I had a screener and telephone interview. Passed. But then was placed on the list waiting for medical review. Since then I’ve emailed and never had a response. Called and been told someone will get in touch. Never have. I’ve been emailing them anyway every step of the way (sorting medical, getting a place in selection etc).

I have now passed my army selection and basic security checks. So keen to get going. The unit was emailed two weeks back to start my onboarding. I’ve heard nothing.

During my army selection interview and discussions with my recruitment manager they’ve both said this unit is terrible for communicating. And that many applicants go to other units as they want to get on with it.

My question is. How long do I wait (and push) until I should look at other units? Am I being impatient?

Any advice welcome.

ste14w

MIA
I've heard similar stories from young lads at work.
Dead keen to join, then seem to hit a brick wall with regards to taking their applications further.
If it's convenient for you, I would apply to as many local units as possible, and see which are the quickest to respond.
I know that Covid didn't help the situation regarding recruitment, but that should be sorted now.
Once you have become a trained soldier, it will be easier for you to look at maybe applying for a transfer to the original unit you wanted to join.
Although given their slack response times, they may not be as professional as you'd hoped them to be.
Whichever way you do it, I wish you all the best.

Hi all,

So my application to join the Army reserve took almost a year and half. This was due to needing medical evidence that was hard to come by with the pandemic.

As soon as I applied to my chosen unit, I had a screener and telephone interview. Passed. But then was placed on the list waiting for medical review. Since then I’ve emailed and never had a response. Called and been told someone will get in touch. Never have. I’ve been emailing them anyway every step of the way (sorting medical, getting a place in selection etc).

I have now passed my army selection and basic security checks. So keen to get going. The unit was emailed two weeks back to start my onboarding. I’ve heard nothing.

During my army selection interview and discussions with my recruitment manager they’ve both said this unit is terrible for communicating. And that many applicants go to other units as they want to get on with it.

My question is. How long do I wait (and push) until I should look at other units? Am I being impatient?

Any advice welcome.
Why not just turn up a parade night and see the permanent staff in person?

That seem's to be the main issue

Latest Threads