Labradoodle = Gundog?

Afternoon Fellas,

I have recently had a yearning to own and train a Gundog. Unfortunatly Elvis the Staffy only has two brain cells which are constantly in action whilst he breathes, licks his balls and terrorises any hound that comes near him, hes also too old and therefore totally unsuitable.

The only thing stopping me getting a typical type dog is the wife who refuses to let a dog with long hair cross the homestead threshold, therefore i have had a look at a Labradoodle.

Despite the ridiculous name and the fact its crossed with a poodle I quite like the things.

Does anyone have any experience with these dogs or have you actually seen one in the Gundog role?

Cheers,

Dave

commzmeanzbombz said:
Afternoon Fellas,

I have recently had a yearning to own and train a Gundog. Unfortunatly Elvis the Staffy only has two brain cells which are constantly in action whilst he breathes, licks his balls and terrorises any hound that comes near him, hes also too old and therefore totally unsuitable.

The only thing stopping me getting a typical type dog is the wife who refuses to let a dog with long hair cross the homestead threshold, therefore i have had a look at a Labradoodle.

Despite the ridiculous name and the fact its crossed with a poodle I quite like the things.

Does anyone have any experience with these dogs or have you actually seen one in the Gundog role?

Cheers,

Dave
Poodles were bred originally in Germany, not France and called Pudles, which means to splash in water. They were bred as hunting dogs and are still very good hunters, so I would guess you could have the best of both worlds. Incidentally, the Poodle is a very clever dog and very trainable, although inclined to take the piss a bit. :) I'm a Staffy man, but my brother in law always has poodles and treats them like normal dogs, just strips their coats every so often. I've also heard that Labradoodles are a good dog to have.

commzmeanzbombz said:
..Despite the ridiculous name and the fact its crossed with a poodle I quite like the things...
The name could have been worse, would you want a "Poodador". Not only is it more ridiculous, it sounds bloody painfull.

Monty's right. Poodles were originally bred to retrieve ducks and things from the water. That's the origin of the silly cuts that they give them. The original cut left thick hair over all the joints and a band across the kidneys to keep everything warm.

MsG

commzmeanzbombz said:
Afternoon Fellas,

Cheers,

Dave

Make sure you check the pup out carefully, and see it with the mother etc etc. There are loads of the things in my village, and they are as mad as a box of frogs - aggressive towards other dogs, humans, cars, bikes, rubbish bags, low flying aircraft, you name it.

My 4p's worth --- avoid like the plague.

Have to agree Dave, there`s one stays next door to me and it`s the most vicous creature I have had the misfortune to encounter! The guy that owns IT, is a strapping 6`plus and he struggles painfully to control IT when out and about. It has come to the point, that if he encounters anybody when out walking, he crosses the road in order to avoid them! And the barking.....from dawn to fukcin` dusk if the bastardin` thing is left on its own. Horrible creatures.

rockape623 said:
Have to agree Dave, there`s one stays next door to me and it`s the most vicous creature I have had the misfortune to encounter! The guy that owns IT, is a strapping 6`plus and he struggles painfully to control IT when out and about. It has come to the point, that if he encounters anybody when out walking, he crosses the road in order to avoid them! And the barking.....from dawn to fukcin` dusk if the bastardin` thing is left on its own. Horrible creatures.
Glad you posted that - otherwise people might just think it's me being bitter and twisted as usual! I forgot to mention in my first post that one of the Labradoodle's near me killed another dog - a Spaniel. Ripped it's stomach open. Nice dogs.

Having read some of these comments, how about a Labrador x Staffy. I've had one in the past, great dog and I've known of a few as being very good.
I suppose it would be a Staffrador or a Laffy. :wink:

jarrod248 said:
They are mongrels, that's the bottom line.
They're hybrids and supposed to bring out the best attributes of both breeds.
Seems possibly like a fail. If you look at some reviews the comments are quite mixed from really good dogs to biters. I would say that it depends upon the experience and confidence of the owner/s and family circumstances.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
jarrod248 said:
With which do you have the most experience ?

Monty417 said:
jarrod248 said:
Seems possibly like a fail. If you look at some reviews the comments are quite mixed from really good dogs to biters. I would say that it depends upon the experience and confidence of the owner/s and family circumstances.
Ive done a bit more research, it seems that some of the breeders who are just out for a quick buck are interbeeding and conequently the breed is suffering but the same could be said about many breeds!

Im not going to rush in to getting one and Ive only actually seen 1 in the flesh which was quite nice but not enough to form an opinion.

Ideally I would like a cocker but the missus seems to think we will be up to our knees in hair! I will try and bribe her I know she wants a new motor next year :D

commzmeanzbombz said:
Monty417 said:
jarrod248 said:
Ive done a bit more research, it seems that some of the breeders who are just out for a quick buck are interbeeding and conequently the breed is suffering but the same could be said about many breeds!

Im not going to rush in to getting one and Ive only actually seen 1 in the flesh which was quite nice but not enough to form an opinion.

Ideally I would like a cocker but the missus seems to think we will be up to our knees in hair! I will try and bribe her I know she wants a new motor next year :D

If you leave the hair on the ground long enough you can make your own felt mats

tankie88 said:
I own a labradinger(lab/springer cross) but looks more like a lab.So work that one out with "your attributes to best of both breeds"....lol

No mate, that's a Springador. :)
My bold...Ipso facto, it must surely mean that it can bring out the worst attributes of both breeds. Bit of a double whammy I'd say. I've known some rather strange Cocker Spaniels too. :lol:

There are many diferent types of labradoodle from straight cross to multi-generational Australian.

First generation straight british crosses tend to be heavy monsters, 'pure' Australians are expensive but very intelligent, train easily, and come in various sizes.

Australians are now at more than 6 generations and have spaniel and Portugese Water Dog in their heritage.

I have an 18 month old cream bitch, half Australian miniature, half British F1b (monster).

She is very intelligent, lighter than a Labrador (16kg), doesn't shed, trains easily, has a soft mouth, and loves swimming (in the sea yesterday).

I believe if you carefully selected the right Labradoodle it could be used as a gundog.

jarrod248 said:
Monty417 said:
jarrod248 said:
If they aren't pedigrees they are mongrels despite someone trying to make a few quid.
Of course, but the same thing applies to breeders of pedigrees and many are quite unscrupulous, breed the life out of the bitch and then dump them or worse. Nor do they care about breeding animals with genetic faults and life threatening problems. Utterly selfish and immoral bastards, some of them.

Also thanks to my Mrs, I have a labradoodle and I would have to say that my experience does not match the comments posted. With any cross you need to look very carefully at the parents. Some poodles can be very highly strung. I would also avoid those bred from a standard poodle - the F1 crosses are very large dogs.

The mother is usually the lab. I would say make sure that the mother is a more slender hunting type lab, rather than the chunky style domestic labs.

Our dog is a cross between a slender hunting lab with a lovely temperment and a minature poodle. These 'mini-doodle' F1s are about the size of a collie. He has a superb temperment and is highly trainable, I reckon that one of these would make a very good gundog. He can run all day and loves water. The low shed coat is a bonus.

I can reccomend the breeder that we used. PM me if you are interested in a contact.

It depends what you want to the dog for??? Retrieving/picking up or flushing or both???

Sprockers are good and if you keep them clipped the hairs are no bother.

What about a hungarian Vizsla, immaculate dog, hardly any hair, good retrieval and lovely nature??

Fugly

ADC
DirtyBAT
Monty417 said:
Having read some of these comments, how about a Labrador x Staffy. I've had one in the past, great dog and I've known of a few as being very good.
I suppose it would be a Staffrador or a Laffy. :wink:
I've got one, very good temperment, loyal, and very obedient. Also as epileptic as Jarrod is gay. I echo the comments about checking the parents out if you consider this. Retrieving skills are terrible though, he'll run to something and then go "Well i'm here, now what?". Or he'll get there and eat it.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
vvaannmmaann Shooting, Hunting and Fishing 5
ugly Classified Ads 0
ugly Classified Ads 14