Labradoodle = Gundog?

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by commzmeanzbombz, Jan 17, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Afternoon Fellas,

I have recently had a yearning to own and train a Gundog. Unfortunatly Elvis the Staffy only has two brain cells which are constantly in action whilst he breathes, licks his balls and terrorises any hound that comes near him, hes also too old and therefore totally unsuitable.

The only thing stopping me getting a typical type dog is the wife who refuses to let a dog with long hair cross the homestead threshold, therefore i have had a look at a Labradoodle.

Despite the ridiculous name and the fact its crossed with a poodle I quite like the things.

Does anyone have any experience with these dogs or have you actually seen one in the Gundog role?

Cheers,

Dave

2. Poodles were bred originally in Germany, not France and called Pudles, which means to splash in water. They were bred as hunting dogs and are still very good hunters, so I would guess you could have the best of both worlds. Incidentally, the Poodle is a very clever dog and very trainable, although inclined to take the piss a bit. :) I'm a Staffy man, but my brother in law always has poodles and treats them like normal dogs, just strips their coats every so often. I've also heard that Labradoodles are a good dog to have.

3. The name could have been worse, would you want a "Poodador". Not only is it more ridiculous, it sounds bloody painfull.

4. Monty's right. Poodles were originally bred to retrieve ducks and things from the water. That's the origin of the silly cuts that they give them. The original cut left thick hair over all the joints and a band across the kidneys to keep everything warm.

MsG

5. Make sure you check the pup out carefully, and see it with the mother etc etc. There are loads of the things in my village, and they are as mad as a box of frogs - aggressive towards other dogs, humans, cars, bikes, rubbish bags, low flying aircraft, you name it.

My 4p's worth --- avoid like the plague.

6. Have to agree Dave, there`s one stays next door to me and it`s the most vicous creature I have had the misfortune to encounter! The guy that owns IT, is a strapping 6`plus and he struggles painfully to control IT when out and about. It has come to the point, that if he encounters anybody when out walking, he crosses the road in order to avoid them! And the barking.....from dawn to fukcin` dusk if the bastardin` thing is left on its own. Horrible creatures.

7. The only labradoodle I've known was also totally mad (so a perfect fit to that family). What about a cockerpoo?

8. Glad you posted that - otherwise people might just think it's me being bitter and twisted as usual! I forgot to mention in my first post that one of the Labradoodle's near me killed another dog - a Spaniel. Ripped it's stomach open. Nice dogs.

9. Having read some of these comments, how about a Labrador x Staffy. I've had one in the past, great dog and I've known of a few as being very good.
    I suppose it would be a Staffrador or a Laffy. :wink:

10. They're hybrids and supposed to bring out the best attributes of both breeds.
    Seems possibly like a fail. If you look at some reviews the comments are quite mixed from really good dogs to biters. I would say that it depends upon the experience and confidence of the owner/s and family circumstances.

11. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

With which do you have the most experience ?

12. Ive done a bit more research, it seems that some of the breeders who are just out for a quick buck are interbeeding and conequently the breed is suffering but the same could be said about many breeds!

Im not going to rush in to getting one and Ive only actually seen 1 in the flesh which was quite nice but not enough to form an opinion.

Ideally I would like a cocker but the missus seems to think we will be up to our knees in hair! I will try and bribe her I know she wants a new motor next year :D

13. If you leave the hair on the ground long enough you can make your own felt mats

14. I own a labradinger(lab/springer cross) but looks more like a lab.So work that one out with "your attributes to best of both breeds"....lol

15. No mate, that's a Springador. :)
    My bold...Ipso facto, it must surely mean that it can bring out the worst attributes of both breeds. Bit of a double whammy I'd say. I've known some rather strange Cocker Spaniels too. :lol: