Labour's plans for the Forces

I think that there's some justification in the line that most Tory cuts are due to coming into government after Labour and having to balance the books.
I don't think the Tories will be able to use that to their advantage for much longer.

I don't think the Tories will be able to use that to their advantage for much longer.
Some of the heaviest cuts to defence spending have been carried out by Tory governments.
My individual membership of the party is pretty irrelevant to the party. It rocked a bit due to the weak response of HMG to the statues issue. If there are cuts of the size mentioned, I'll be off.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer

.... just leave that there for you.
Move along, nothing to see here. Whitehall trails scary figures to draw their line in the sand, Times (who hate Boris etc) big it up, the merry-go-round continues.

Slime

LE
Made the Telegraph, comments speak for themselves -

To all my readers - wishing you a Wokey Week!
I liked this comment below.
Partly for the ‘SS’ bit, but mostly due to the cool avatar name :)

Bicks Biederbecke6 Jul 2020 10:17AM

Cyber war but against whom? Judging by how 77 brigade is set up, it is against us..
Why are the military being cut to fund this? Surveillance is the job of MI5 and MI6.
They are creating an army within an army. With similarities to the SS.
Various military personnel have brought this to our attention but nothing is being done about it. The separation of powers is being destroyed.

Move along, nothing to see here. Whitehall trails scary figures to draw their line in the sand, Times (who hate Boris etc) big it up, the merry-go-round continues.
It's straight out of Yes, Minister.

Trail a 25% cut so a 10% cut feels like a victory for common sense.

The bastards.

I can live with a cut to army numbers (even a significant one) if theres an uplift to RN and RAF and the reserves are expanded and equipped to really give us the manpower depth
It'll be interesting to see what the focus on cyber warfare (which the Telegraph mentions today) means for numbers overall.
In general terms, quantity has merit - as well as quality. As professional as some smaller militaries are, their commitments to ops are limited. We can of course have a smaller military. As many other posters have said, i hope HMG recognises that that means we'll be less able to become heavily committed to, for example, an Afghanistan - sized op.

I remember getting a good pay hike after the Gulf War. Then Options for Change hit and promotion in my trade was closed for three years just as I was hitting the window for it. This was why I left after 12 years with a half pension rather than 22 with a full one.

The Tories gave with one hand and took with the other in my case.
When David Cameron came out to Afghanistan after winning the election (I was one of those jiffed to sit and have 'an informal chat' with him - on camera and yes, I've been crated for that one) he promised extra tour pay.
Extra tour pay became a real thing.

other than that he was a ****, like all politicians.
He was late for the enforced "fun" BBQ we had to attend, so we made sure there was no meat left as the chef (foolishly) left it unguarded. Sgt "C" and myself had pockets full of chicken wings and (cat?) burgers

Unfortunately, the chef wasn't a total fool and had some hidden away for when the VVIP's arrived, so i had greasy pockets for nothing
Bastard.

Last edited:
I liked this comment below.
Partly for the ‘SS’ bit, but mostly due to the cool avatar name :)

Bicks Biederbecke6 Jul 2020 10:17AM

Cyber war but against whom? Judging by how 77 brigade is set up, it is against us..
Why are the military being cut to fund this? Surveillance is the job of MI5 and MI6.
They are creating an army within an army. With similarities to the SS.
Various military personnel have brought this to our attention but nothing is being done about it. The separation of powers is being destroyed.
Good point, Cyber should be GCHQ?

I can live with a cut to army numbers (even a significant one) if theres an uplift to RN and RAF and the reserves are expanded and equipped to really give us the manpower depth
Perhaps the cut in numbers (establishment) just reflects the situation up to now when the Army was unable to recruit and retain to it's establishment, so cut to what can be recruited and fully maned? Mind you with what is being said about post Covid unemployment the recruiting situation could see a dramatic improvement.

Latest Threads