Labour's latest batty idea - "Service Schools" run by ex-forces

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Pyianno, Jul 10, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As somebody who went to a military school have to say it didn't do me any lasting harm. Also we had a Teacher who was German, who when he was bored with teaching us would tell us about his time in a Russian POW camp after the war [he was caught in Berlin during the final days]. Some of those stories were horrible.
    However and when you considers Govies plans, reintroduce the cat-o-nine-tails, pond ducking of witches , learn by rote, toffing ones cap to upper classes, wooden clogs and gruel, return of 'O' levels and CSEs so that we can all be failures at 14. I think this a slightly sensible idea as apposed to Govies weren't Victorian days brill? Besides which bayonet practice would be a right barrel of laughs. Smith minor of the remove strapped to an A frame and run through with a toasting fork. Spiffing What What
  2. This is just more rhetoric from Labour trying to get popular. They are probably listening to people who say bring back national service etc and so have come up with this idea to get votes. If they get in, it won't happen because they never fulfil their election promises and they will find it will cost too much.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

not as bad as - Why the military must invade our schools - Telegraph

bosnia, iraq, afghanistan then cricklewood high school - the army just cant take it.

we would be slaughtered despite recent experiences. soldiers would be mentally scarred from being dissed on facebook and sacked for shagging the sixth form.

it was bad enough when they let soldiers run the prisons.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Teaching unions would never let it happen.
  5. Sorry to repeat myself but. "Bandwagon for Mr. Milliband"!
    • Like Like x 1
  6. ;-) ;-) Irony of ironies.
  7. You can't mark him down for effort. Lots of recently made redundant Armed forces personel, and all of a sudden - Labour the Party that care, vote for me as an election is not far away.
    Watch the Commons today to see how close we are!
  8. Really? I don't think so.
  9. Look at what they said last time something like this was proposed (fast tracking ex Servicemen into teaching). The usual rent a gob marxists kicked up a huge fuss and it vanished from the news.
    There is some merit in this idea, but turkeys dont vote for Christmas.
  10. Modern teachers do not have much of a clue about how the modern army operates .
    I heard one interviewed a few months back who said " I don't see how peeling potatoes will help children's education ".
    Maybe teachers ought to be taught by the military , rather than the kids .
    The Methods of Instruction course would be a great use to them for a start .
    Mixing forces people and teachers will be like mixing oil and water , but fun to watch nevertheless .
  11. I saw a program sometime ago on this. This has already been established in the US, whereby ex servicemen teach in "Da Hood". Somebody obviously saw Tom Beringer in "The Substitute" and thought this would be a good idea. In the US it is working, students are performing better and class delinquency is down.

I have heard that there are plans to bring the CCF into State Schools with Squaddies to teachers.
  12. Unions are pretty powerless these days, many of my teachers were ex-forces. Can't see it being attractive to many though.
  13. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

I would like to take form 3b for advanced beasting then PT till you puke second period if thats possible
    • Like Like x 2