Labour's flat-earthers demand the cuts go away

Interesting piece in the Economist today:

For hour after hour, in policy session after policy session, Mr Miliband and his shadow ministerial team were bombarded with angry, self-righteous demands for Labour to wave a magic wand and make the cuts go away.

Denial does not begin to cover the mood in Nottingham. This was more like a gathering of exiled loyalists after a revolution, demanding to be led back to the promised homeland by their battered, bloodied chiefs.

The speakers reeled off, with expert ease, the names of the programmes and allowances and schemes that they currently use, or work with. This was Gordon Brown’s social democratic client state on parade. Inside the walls of the policy forum, all public spending was good, and private companies exist to pay more taxes.
Ed Miliband: Labour's flat-earthers demand the cuts go away | The Economist

Oh dear.

He did pander to the many students in the room. He proposed lowering the voting age to 16, a dreadful idea duly met with wary silence by the hall. Then, he explained how this would have stopped a cut, and the mood turned.
I'd love to hear that one in full. Should keep me laughing for weeks.

He did pander to the many students in the room. He proposed lowering the voting age to 16, a dreadful idea duly met with wary silence by the hall. Then, he explained how this would have stopped a cut, and the mood turned.
I'd love to hear that one in full. Should keep me laughing for weeks.
So monthly national duvet days aren't being implemented then?

Oh sure the cuts would love to go away.
Unfortunatly the nations debts are not going anywhere for a while and Labours tactic of pretending that all is well will not work anymore.

The phrase "I'm entitled" sums it up really, social scrounging scum who want all the benefits but aint prepared to work for it. God help us if they ever get back in.

Don't you just love them. No answer to the national dept, pandering to the crusties, no ideas whatsoever so asking the public to help them out.

Politicians I shit 'em

Great opportunity today: (a claimed) 450,000 of UK's most economically illiterate populace are marching in London to protest "cuts". I reckon there are probably only a handful of private taxpayers amongst the lot, so maybe they can be kettled into the Thames, or on Eurostar or similar. Should even up the voting balance and save the country a few bob...

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Great opportunity today: (a claimed) 450,000 of UK's most economically illiterate populace are marching in London to protest "cuts". I reckon there are probably only a handful of private taxpayers amongst the lot, so maybe they can be kettled into the Thames, or on Eurostar or similar. Should even up the voting balance and save the country a few bob...
I find it ironic that they are campaigning against the cuts, but this weekend, there will be extra police on the streets, extra street cleaners, more medical staff on call, all of which cost money and will come out of the public purse :)

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
After watching the news, I would like to know where half of these fruitloops have been for the past 14 years, blaming the Con-Dems for the cuts, which is far enough I suppose, but do they not realise that the cuts have come about because the previous Govt played bottomless pockets with the public purse.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
But some of Labour's natural electorate are (a) economically illiterate and don't understand the state of the UK's finances or (b) are astute enough to know that their education and work skills are such that they'll have a more comfortable life style if they can tap into the benefit system.

Supporting or opposing the cuts is not a dispassionate decision - it's often based on personal interest. I earn above average wage, so vote for the conservatives on the grounds that they'll keep the size of the state within reasonable limits (or cut it back so it is). Someone on low income will vote labour on the grounds that they can only get the good things in life if the money they earn from poor education/work skills is supplemented by hand outs from the state.

We vote for our own self interests.

Wordsmith

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
This bit from that Economist article sums it up:

"Of all the scores of people who raised their hands to ask questions or make mini-speeches, not one appeared to be from the private sector. There were no entrepreneurs, no small businessmen, no big businessmen"

And those marching today will be the same. I bet also that, no matter what bollox labour come out with about diversity, there will be very very few non-white faces (apart from a few skiving studetnts, I suppose) I know it's a big generalisation, but they are mostly sensibly too busy earning a living, and looking out for their families.

Seems a group has broken from the main march, heading towards Oxford Street.

Well, the work-shy 'entitlement monkeys' are marching through London at the moment - surprisingly on a Saturday, I didn't think they would waste their own time (although I suppose for most of them, Saturday is no different from any other day, and this way they can intimidate more people). A breakaway group has split off the approved route and is heading for Regent Street. I do hope the Police get all heavy handed. The breakaway group are wearing black, to minimise the chance of being picked out when it comes to the presentation of evidence; perhaps the Police should get their shoulder badges off for a similar reason.

What about holding the banks to accounts and spreading the cuts out over a number of years to soften the blow.
I'm all for cutting back on scroungers but I personally have a problem with ignoring the principle that everybody should be helped to have a fair crack of the whip- no matter what their social/financial background background is. Greed is bad. Wages should be fairer. The very rich should be taxed more etc. I say this from the position of being skint btw....:)

Scumbags now fighting with the peelers in Oxford Street and have attacked the windows at Topshop. Seems the peelers are taking a more robust attitude this time around.

Ps, I hope the scumbag bastards get the **** kicked out of them.

Don't you just love them. No answer to the national dept, pandering to the crusties, no ideas whatsoever so asking the public to help them out.

Politicians I shit 'em
Well then shit us some good ones 'cos the present shower are piss useless

These anarchist wannabe fcukheads are a joke. So-called 'Cuts Protest' my arrse. It's Britain's great unwashed just using the current climate as an excuse to march in the Capital and cause problems. Peelers covered in paint and injured. Grips my ....

And you would think Labour would be a little more humbled instead of basically fueling these protests seeing as the choices they made whilst in government have brought us to this juncture.