Labour party involved in vote rigging

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Cutaway, Apr 4, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Judge Richard Mawreey QC has ruled that the Labour party were heavily involved in vote rigging when six councillors were elected in the controversial postal vote in Birmingham.

Judge upholds vote-rigging claims

A judge investigating vote-rigging in Birmingham's local elections has ruled there was "widespread fraud", and has ordered new elections.

Election Commissioner Richard Mawrey QC upheld allegations of postal fraud relating to six seats won by Labour in the ballot of June 10 last year.

"The system is wide open to fraud and any would-be political fraudster knows that," Mr Mawrey said.

The results have been declared void and the polls in the wards must be rerun.

The commissioner has confirmed our fear that there is every likelihood that the forthcoming General Election will be blighted by postal vote fraud

Mr Mawrey said evidence of "massive, systematic and organised fraud" in the campaign had made "a mockery" of the election and ruled that not less than 1,500 had been cast fraudulently in the city.

The deputy high court judge said the system was "hopelessly insecure" and expressed regret that recent warnings about the failings had been dismissed by the government as "scaremongering".

He criticised the government's insistence that the current postal voting system was working, adding: "Anybody who has sat through the case I have just tried and listened to evidence of electoral fraud that would disgrace a banana republic would find this statement surprising."

The Electoral Reform Society said urgent action was needed to protect and maintain confidence in the voting system.

A spokesman said: "We accept postal voting as part of the modern electoral process, but we believe that it must be managed in an efficient manner with little risk of fraud.

"We do not believe that electoral fraud is confined to Birmingham, to the Labour Party or, most importantly, to particular communities."
  2. Surely electoral fraud carries massive penalties!!! Have they been let off scot free?!
  3. The scale was massive, and right across the city . The Judge comments not less that 1,500. I'm sure M'lud knows it's probably 10 times that.

We all know up here, the scale of the actual fraud is breathtaking.

There is an intention to steal the next election through postal fraud , it is certainly not just in Birmingham. There is a very very definite intent to steal the election , and the Government are pushing very hard for postal ballots.

This is not 'scaremongering' , it is fact and reality. I can see numerous election results being delayed , because there WILL be challenges to the result, especially in wardss that see a sudden massive increase in postal votes.
  4. And if setting up a postal system open to massive fraud doesn't work, let's just talk about giving crooks the vote instead: Not sure which is more shocking - that or the fact that I agree with Ann Widdecombe.
  5. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

It all depends on which party carries out the fraud...... :evil:
  6. BBC radio news stated that the jusde said that the ENTIRE Birmingham Labour party was involved!!! Bloody hell!
  7. WTF 8O

I trust that the officers concerned were interviewed without coffee for this dereliction of duty! Under what circumstances could the scene described ever be considered to be above suspicion?
  8. And we all know which religious/ethnic group was involved with this fraud but as our tony needs their vote nothing will happen to them.

This postal fraud was IMO carried out in ALL the postal voting areas by Musli.....whoops nearly said the "M" word.
  9. Stickybomb ,

The attitude of the Old Bill initally here was "We can't be arrsed, it's only sour grapes anyway"
  10. Do you mean that in Birmingham the rozzers don't apply the law to a particular group of people ? that this group have some sort of imunity ?
  11. PTP, I'd say that was cause for an interview several degrees above "without coffee"...
  12. No Armourer

It means the Police in Birmingham would rather lie in ambush for the Tesco's Bakery wagon , and sit in patrol cars than actually investigate electoral fraud on a massive scale.

Juvenal, I shall ask one of the original complainants just what he will be doing about the total lack of Police interest in this case initally.
    When news was recived of Postal votes being taken for 'Veriification' to a disused warehouse, the Complainant concerned tried to get the Coppers there ASAP as far as I remember.

To say the response was lethargic, was an understatement.

I would like to see Birmingham's Chief Copper make a statement. I really would , but I fear he won't. The hand of Clarke looms large , d'see?

Talk about good day to bury bad bloody news though. :evil:
  13. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

How about an interview in the Charge Room, including the phrases 'aiding and abetting a criminal offence' and 'I am arresting you for' ?

14. Hang on.....I think someones got the ward wrong.... this report relates to the Iraqi elections doesn't it???

i'll get me coat.... :oops:
  15. Well to me it shows that the rozzers allow law breaking by a particular group, surely the law is to be upheld, not used selectively or isn't election fraud (which attacks the very fabric of Democracy) by this group considered worthy of police attention ?