Labour MP threatens TA Soldier over Gurkhas

#1
A Labour MP was accused of ‘bullying’ yesterday for threatening to sue a 21-year-old student who criticised him for not backing the Gurkhas.

Warren Clegg, a member of the Territorial Army, received the threat in a letter from his MP Brian Jenkins.

It was hand-delivered to Mr Clegg’s mother Julie Steggles at their home in Tamworth, Staffordshire – two days after her soldier husband John, Mr Clegg’s stepfather, had left to serve with the Army in Afghanistan.
in full

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ticised-Gurkhas-note-hand-delivered-home.html
 
#2
what do you expect from an MP, self centred spoungers as bad as the DHSS dole layabouts only better at screwing the system.
we should use then for target practice, both MP's and long term layabouts.
 
#3
Threatening a member of the Army isn't too clever really. Still, he's only a constituent who's unlikely to vote for him so doesn't count. I'd say "sue me" but the bloody MP would find away to get legal aid for a libel case. Not that it matters, I reckon the dumb fcuk Jenkins has got himself into a spot of bother now. :twisted:
 
#5
Indicative of the sneering and autocratic demeanour shown by many MPs - of all parties - to their constituents. This particular apparatchik is clearly well-schooled in the Stalin Academy of Enforcing Compliance.

I know neither Mr. Clegg nor the MP, but I do know who I believe. A clue: the person most likely to be telling the truth is at Cambridge University.

The threat of legal action is reprehensible in the extreme. (I note that Jenkins splits his infinitives and fails to proof-read his correspondence). I also note that Electoral Calculus predicts that the Tories will overturn the bully's 2571 majority by a considerable margin at the next opportunity.

I wonder if he has the finances to fund legal action against every Arrse member who writes to him telling him he is an unmitigated excrement encrusted sphincter? (Silly me, of course he has - allowances and expenses!)
 
#6
wikiwikiwiki said:
He went to Kingsbury High School (now called Kingsbury School) on Tamworth Road in Kingsbury, Warwickshire. He then attended Coventry College (now called City College Coventry) and Coleg Harlech. He is a graduate of the LSE where he obtained a BSc in Economics and Wolverhampton Polytechnic where he gained a PGCE. He was a student from 1975-81.

From 1961-8 he was an instrument mechanic for the CEGB. From 1968-73, he was an industrial engineer at Jaguar Cars Ltd in Coventry, and Percy Lane Products in Tamworth from 1973-5. From 1981-3, he was a college lecturer at the Isle of Man College, then at Tamworth College (now Tamworth and Lichfield College) from 1983-96.
He seems like he should be a nice enough chap though....

Maybe he is just under a bit of stress. If so I feel he is about to do a Samson, maybe he could pop around and apologise to the lad, the lad could apologise back.

The MP could then affirm his position on the subject of Gurkhas.

Certainly reading the article it appears that this could just be a horrible mix up, in that the MP reckons the TA lad has written to him regards Gaza in the past, but doesn't beleive he wrote regarding Gurkhas.

Living just up the road from this area, the local MPs tend to be all over the writing back bit.

Time for an MP to prove he is a good man instead of a big man?
 
#7
Regardless of what was said in the letter to the MP, I fail to see how it could count as “publishing” for the purposes of libel.

I agree with the mix up theory, the fact that the MP's letter does not state the issue he was supposedly libelled on suggests that it is a standard letter that is produced in bulk and sent to everybody who criticises him. Some sloppy administration could easily get it sent to the wrong person. Alternatively he did not bother to read soldier's the letter properly; just identified it as criticising him and so sent the standard threatening reply.
 
#8
This man is a prize CNUT, does anyone have his email? Let's see how many legal actions he will need after today.

I am busy today but if anyone can be bothered to knock up an arrse letter to be sent by individuals I would happily send it and submit it to his local paper.
 
#9
Mobat said:
Regardless of what was said in the letter to the MP, I fail to see how it could count as “publishing” for the purposes of libel.

I agree with the mix up theory, the fact that the MP's letter does not state the issue he was supposedly libelled on suggests that it is a standard letter that is produced in bulk and sent to everybody who criticises him. Some sloppy administration could easily get it sent to the wrong person. Alternatively he did not bother to read soldier's the letter properly; just identified it as criticising him and so sent the standard threatening reply.
The MP's letter sounds like the work of one of those unpaid interns MPs take on so they can pay their entire staff budget to their wives. (Before you ask, MPs are conveniently exempt from minimum wage legislation).

The intern was probably fighting with Young Conservatives in a student's union somewhere and pi$$ing through the letterbox of the local Tory club until finishing his finals a few weeks ago.

You know the old saying about what you get if you pay peanuts.
 
#10
nigegilb said:
This man is a prize CNUT, does anyone have his email? Let's see how many legal actions he will need after today.

I am busy today but if anyone can be bothered to knock up an arrse letter to be sent by individuals I would happily send it and submit it to his local paper.
He may or may not be. If you read the story again you will see that the whole thing is likely to be just a mix-up. The MP refers to a letter that the student denies writing.
 
#11
For some reason a lot of M.P's who have never served in the armed forces or come from a miltary family's or once they become a M.P. tend to forget their roots and where they come from .
For Joe Public and Members of the Armed Forces family's have to live on a basic wage to pay for every day essential items and they are not millionaires who claim for second homes and luxury items which they dont really need . At least Joe public etc are more in tune with Gurkha soldiers and campaigned to let the Gurkha come and live in the uk then M.P.'s in the past who had ‘voted to keep the Gurkhas in poverty’ by not agreeing to let them settle in the UK. Which have now been sorted . But for some reason M.P's do and not listen to the public etc.
 
#13
StickyEnd said:
nigegilb said:
This man is a prize CNUT, does anyone have his email? Let's see how many legal actions he will need after today.

I am busy today but if anyone can be bothered to knock up an arrse letter to be sent by individuals I would happily send it and submit it to his local paper.
He may or may not be. If you read the story again you will see that the whole thing is likely to be just a mix-up. The MP refers to a letter that the student denies writing.
Even if it is a mix-up threatening legal action is a bit OTT.

I side with "the MP is a cnut" faction.

"You have damaged my good name" - oh how I laughed.
 
B

Biscuits_AB

Guest
#16
StickyEnd said:
nigegilb said:
This man is a prize CNUT, does anyone have his email? Let's see how many legal actions he will need after today.

I am busy today but if anyone can be bothered to knock up an arrse letter to be sent by individuals I would happily send it and submit it to his local paper.
He may or may not be. If you read the story again you will see that the whole thing is likely to be just a mix-up. The MP refers to a letter that the student denies writing.
If this is the case, then the shoe is now on the other foot and the lad who stands accused by this individual should pursue his own action. You just can't go round threatening to sue innocent people just because you can't be bothered reading the sender's address. If this is the case, then the lad needs to make a bg song and dance about it......and just to add insult to inury, he should also insist upon an unreserved apology. Besides which, even if he was the author of the letter, if it states the truth then there will be no grounds for any action if it amounts to fair comment.
 
#17
How Brian Jenkins voted on key issues since 2001:

•Voted a mixture of for and against a transparent Parliament.
•Voted moderately against introducing a smoking ban.
•Voted moderately for introducing ID cards.
•Voted moderately for introducing foundation hospitals.
•Voted a mixture of for and against introducing student top-up fees.
•Voted very strongly for Labour's anti-terrorism laws.
•Voted very strongly for the Iraq war.
•Voted very strongly against an investigation into the Iraq war.
•Voted very strongly for replacing Trident.
•Voted very strongly for the hunting ban.
•Voted very strongly for equal gay rights.
•Voted moderately for laws to stop climate change.

sounds a bit of a split personality to me... hope they haven't both been charging expenses :evil:
 
B

Biscuits_AB

Guest
#18
blanko said:
How Brian Jenkins voted on key issues since 2001:

•Voted a mixture of for and against a transparent Parliament.
•Voted moderately against introducing a smoking ban.
•Voted moderately for introducing ID cards.
•Voted moderately for introducing foundation hospitals.
•Voted a mixture of for and against introducing student top-up fees.
•Voted very strongly for Labour's anti-terrorism laws.
•Voted very strongly for the Iraq war.
•Voted very strongly against an investigation into the Iraq war.
•Voted very strongly for replacing Trident.
•Voted very strongly for the hunting ban.
•Voted very strongly for equal gay rights.
•Voted moderately for laws to stop climate change.

sounds a bit of a split personality to me... hope they haven't both been charging expenses :evil:

Isn't that the standard Labour list?
 
#19
So this letter in a mighty organ of the press ("This is Tamworth") is what he got all upset about.


"LAST year I wrote a letter to our MP Brian Jenkins in support of the Ghurkhas; as usual my opinion, (as one of his constituents) did not warrant an acknowledgement, let alone a response.

My argument was simple, based on common sense and British decency – if someone is prepared to die for this country then they should have the right to reside in this co
untry.

Brian Jenkins voted for the War in Iraq (one of the many wars Ghurkhas served our country in proudly) and now he has voted to keep most of them living in poverty.

Where is the morality in that?

He also is rather pro-European and wants to ratify the Lisbon Treaty (I can assure Mr Jenkins that the majority of the people in this town do not share his misguided views on this matter).


The result of all these European treaties?

A Polish immigrant can get benefits, but a soldier of Her Majesty's Brigade of Gurkhas cannot get a pension!

This is an absolute disgrace.

Fortunately the Tories, the Liberals, 27 Labour MPs and every other political party in the House of Commons have common sense and British decency and they are trying to rectify this problem.

Mr Jenkins was not one of the rebelling Labour MPs – he may have signed a 'complaint' with other local Labour MPs saying it is '...morally offensive', yet before he signed this he voted; he sided with the Government and against the Gurkhas.

In fact all the Labour MPs who signed this motion voted for the Government apart from Mark Fisher (the only non-hypocrite). It reminds me how Brian Jenkins told local people he was for the local Post Offices, but voted for their closure.

The Labour Government does not listen; they are too busy creating red-tape and introducing stealth taxes to realise that they are destroying the identity of Great Britain and neglecting the people who have served us faithfully for centuries.

Warren Clegg, Wilnecote"



http://www.thisistamworth.co.uk/letters/MP-treatment-Gurkhas-fair/article-972010-detail/article.html

However, any MP threatening to sue a constituent for daring to express their opinion had best consider if they really are best suited to a life in politics, especially right now.
 
#20
Blogg said:
Perhaps this letter in a mighty organ of the press ("This is Tamworth") is what he got all upset about.


"LAST year I wrote a letter to our MP Brian Jenkins in support of the Ghurkhas; as usual my opinion, (as one of his constituents) did not warrant an acknowledgement, let alone a response.

My argument was simple, based on common sense and British decency – if someone is prepared to die for this country then they should have the right to reside in this co
untry.

Brian Jenkins voted for the War in Iraq (one of the many wars Ghurkhas served our country in proudly) and now he has voted to keep most of them living in poverty.

Where is the morality in that?

He also is rather pro-European and wants to ratify the Lisbon Treaty (I can assure Mr Jenkins that the majority of the people in this town do not share his misguided views on this matter).


The result of all these European treaties?

A Polish immigrant can get benefits, but a soldier of Her Majesty's Brigade of Gurkhas cannot get a pension!

This is an absolute disgrace.

Fortunately the Tories, the Liberals, 27 Labour MPs and every other political party in the House of Commons have common sense and British decency and they are trying to rectify this problem.

Mr Jenkins was not one of the rebelling Labour MPs – he may have signed a 'complaint' with other local Labour MPs saying it is '...morally offensive', yet before he signed this he voted; he sided with the Government and against the Gurkhas.

In fact all the Labour MPs who signed this motion voted for the Government apart from Mark Fisher (the only non-hypocrite). It reminds me how Brian Jenkins told local people he was for the local Post Offices, but voted for their closure.

The Labour Government does not listen; they are too busy creating red-tape and introducing stealth taxes to realise that they are destroying the identity of Great Britain and neglecting the people who have served us faithfully for centuries.

Warren Clegg, Wilnecote"



http://www.thisistamworth.co.uk/letters/MP-treatment-Gurkhas-fair/article-972010-detail/article.html

However, any MP threatening to sue a constituent for daring to express their opinion had best consider if they really are best suited to a life in politics, especially right now.
Clegg should stand for Parliament; he talks more sense than most of the cnuts there just now. :roll:
 

Top