Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Labour MP charged with Perverting Course of Justice

As I was saying (I know, Bernard Levin walt ...), IIRC Briscoe was much lauded by the usual suspects for having broken through the smoked-glass ceiling in getting her arsse on the Bench.
2 Samuel 1 v 27.

Now, the next thing that would bring joy to my cheerless life would be for Emma Dent Coad to be found to be deeply implicated in the mis-management of Grenfell Tower.

Last edited:
What we'll never know is which juror(s) caused there to be a retrial and why, whether impenetrably thick or just biased.

For me, aggravating factors include - MP = lawmaker so should have heavier sentence and legally qualified = should know better = even heavier sentence but as for bring lawyers into disrepute, do they have any repute anyway and ditto the HoC.

The BBC are already lining the mitigating factors in preparation for her sentencing:

"She told the court she had been working from a Westminster corridor during her early weeks as an MP and was deluged by thousands of email."

"She had also been admitted to hospital for a relapse of multiple sclerosis while being pursued for the NIP and said she was "probably not in the best head space" at the time."

Sentencing guidelines suggest between 4 and 36 months (although life is the maximum). When Huhne and Pryce were convicted, they received 8 months, which was a little longer than expected).

She'll be very lucky to avoid a spell inside, and even luckier to escape calls for her to be recalled.

I suspect that given the call for her resignation from her own party, she'll be hard-pressed to avoid stepping down as an MP.

The problem for Labour is that her majority was 607 and she replaced a Brexit-supporting Tory MP in a Brexit-supporting area which had voted Tory for the last 3 elections. If she attempts to cling on as the MP, then there's every chance that she'll be deselected (she may be arrogant enough to run as an independent, but I doubt it), but if she resigns and the Tories choose their candidate carefully, the Tories might even gain the seat as they held it from 2005.

The problem for the Tories is that the previous MP would be the obvious choice of candidate for a by-election, but has gained a reputation as being a bit of a ****. While telling someone who was rude to him on Facebook that they were a 'thick chav' is mild by Arrse standards, his apparently being rude about a child in Great Ormond Street for having a blanket with the EU flag on it didn't go down that well, even if his explanation that his comment was aimed at the child's father for posting what seemed a politically motivated tweet using his child wasn't completely unreasonable/implausible, it didn't gain much traction.

ETA that Wordsmith got there first with the sentencing guidelines
The previous MP ruled out running against when she was initially charged, the tories selected a candidate for the seat a month ago.

She gets done for perverting the course of justice . Does she still get done for the original speeding offence (and any other driving offences ) ? I hope so

Since her brother pleaded guilty upfront, and effectively sealed her fate, I guess that she won't even be able to say that she is resigning in order "...to spend more time with her family..." whe she gets the chop as an MP in a day or so.

Last edited: