Labour Manifesto - Army to Run Public Services?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Zoot, Apr 12, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The Labour Manifesto suggests that failing public services would be taken over and run by successful ones.

If cyclops gets another go, what would Army-run schools, hospitals and police forces look like? :D

2. Bloodbaths?

3. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Don't knock it - in a couple of years, when we've all withdrawn to the UK, and there's no need for an Army, and savings looked for everywhere, we'll be glad of the chance to do something - anything - to justify the existence of the Armed Forces :)

4. Cyclops is clearly envisaging a 'Back to the Future' scenario. The Army would run striking services like bins, ambulances and fire brigade as in the 1970s.

Of course, this time round there would be extra billets to fill like those of the striking trolley dollys at British Airways. Laugh heartily on your next flight to Glasgow as a 6 foot 4 paratrooper picks up the entire trolley and throws it at that 'difficult' passenger in row 10.

Allow yourself a brief smirk when a businessman suggestively asks one of the trolley squaddies what hotel he'll be in at the destination - and spends the rest of the flight in the stress position with a bag over his head.

Ask what's for dinner then nod wisely on understanding that 'chicken yacunt' isn't some exotic poultry dish. It's just that your cabin director is from the Royal Regiment of Scotland.

5. Does that mean because Labliar have failed miserably in the last few years, the Armed Forces can take the government over !!!!

Now there is a good idea. immigration, welfare benefit fraud, unemployment sorted at a stroke. Or do we just wait for the election to put in another set of pigs with their snouts in the trough ??

hat, coat, door - taxi !

6. I can't wait for another lame journo to twist this story or read the feedback on here,

'Army coup in waiting due to failing Labour Government'

Mind you HMF could'nt do much worse than the current rabble.

8. You don't have to be too long in the tooth to remember when the Army, RAF and RN ran hospitals extremely successfully.

9. Aldershot locals used to que up to get into Cambridge Military for an op, clean ward and shorter waiting list, and dare I say it ..... food was better !

J

10. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

Aldershot locals used to queue up to get into Cambridge Military for an op, clean ward and shorter waiting list, and dare I say it ..... food was better !

Having spent time in CMH, back in the day, that's why I bristle at the government's suggestion that a military hospital is unsustainable because it'd stand empty and be uneconomic... not only does the current operational tempo have something to say about that but if you were to locate said military hospital near to a major population centre, you could fill the beds with civilians and then reallocate as needed/appropriate.

Bingo: a hospital run to mil standards that's also secure and available as needed. And don't get me started about accreditation and specialties - some judicious reallocation of certain skills to the military hospital would sort that - have the civilian population go there for certain needs/procedures.

Or am I so far wrong?

(I'd disagree about the food, though... :D )

11. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Mate, if the country was run like the Army, one tenth of the workforce would be imported from the Commonwealth and no f*cker would be able to get money, legitimately or fraudulently, out of the system because it would be run on JPA.

14. Completed a training course recently with those very same scottish gentleman. I spent three days asking for things to be repeated slowly and with fewer swear words so I could understand them. Oh, I do know how to make myself popular.

15. You did a three-day-course with the RRS-- show typically Anglophone inability, indeed hostility to improving your langauge skills. Perhaps the Jock gent should just have shouted louder at you, the method employed by English people to communicate with a native who has unreasonably neglected to learn English,when they are holidaying in say, Swaziland or Uzbeckstan.
    Being a Glaswegian, I am offended by
    your assertion that we Glaswegians speak unintelligibly and use profanity. By doing so, you enforce the false but sadly unbiquitous stereotypical implication that we are aggressive psychopaths. Yafukkinbassa ye!
    Dae it wance mere yakunt an ah'll boot yar fuckin heidin, ya Inglishfannyye!
    (Or perhaps,Sir, you are a vaginal manifestation in male form domiciled within the environs of the city of Edinburgh?)