Labour Leadership Contest

So, Siobhan McDonagh has stuck her neck out - fair play.

I wonder if Brown will reach out, and call for one, as a vote of confidence in his leadership?

Interesting timing - in the lead-up to the party conference.

Will he stay, or will he go?

From the BBC website: Labour whip wants leader contest

A junior member of the government has broken ranks to call for a challenge to Gordon Brown as party leader.

Government whip Siobhain McDonagh is thought to be among the Labour MPs to have sought details about the nomination process for a contest.

Labour confirmed they have had letters from a "small number" of MPs asking why no nomination papers for leader were issued ahead of the party conference.

It would take 70 MPs to trigger a potential leadership contest.

Ms McDonagh - a normally loyal MP who has never voted against the government - said she wanted a debate about the future of the party.

But she said "everybody" in government is talking about the leadership issue and she wanted such discussions to be out in the open.

"I think we need to clear the air. I think whoever wants to stand for leader of the Labour Party should do so and we should have a good debate about the direction of the party and the government," she told the BBC News Channel.

ABrighter2006 said:
Will he stay, or will he go?
I think the question is: will she stay or will she go?

msr

See where you're coming from MSR - think she has already stood down from her junior ministership. On the other hand, Gordon's going to have to tread carefully for a few days. As per Victorian_Major's post, it's poor timing for Labour to be brushing to one side Leadership Issues, with the media all over the conference in the coming days.

From this evening's Snowmail:

For the first time in Gordon Brown's premiership a member of the government has called for a leadership contest.

Assistant Whip Siobhain McDonagh is among a group of Labour MPs (eight is the number we're hearing) calling for nomination papers to be sent out ahead of the party's annual conference this month.

Cathy Newman has the latest and Siobhain McDonagh will be live with us in the studio tonight. It would take 70 MPs to forced a leadership contest - hardly likely in such a short time scale - but the timing and the fact itself being deliberately made public, suggests further embarrassment, if nothing else for Gordon Brown, and a sour note ahead of conference.

Watch last night's Facing the Crunch special report, on our exclusive poll which makes grim reading for Brown: http://tinyurl.com/3vfeu4

She sounded convincing on BBC Radio 4 some minutes ago. (Brave move of the BBC to broadcast a 'non-believer).

She sounded even more convincing and believeable when compared with the hysterical outbursts and shrieking of the next MP interviewed - Emily Thornberry Labour MP for Islington South & Finsbury. This woman clearly understands that she will be seeking employment come the next General Election. Her majority 484.

Bring it on 'Mr. Bean'.

Much as one would wish to charge towards the barricades, it has been said often before on ARRSE in recent months ...

Gordon is the Dream Ticket for the Conservatives at the next Election.

Good luck, Gordon ... for now :wink:

All good fun, but if this is true, scarcely surprising - very funny if true, however: even when you're this stupid, you can end up a liarbore whip!

According to Guido's usually reliable Labour insider, Siobhain McDonagh wrote on the nomination papers for Gordon Brown in 2007 "Gordon Brown will be a disaster" - not knowing that the papers were numbered and she could be identified

She could be part of a dception plan by Broon to bring out into the open his potential adversaries. After all, who on earth would want to inherit the Liarbour party as it is? Liarbour are doomed at the next election so any all any new leader receives is a poisoned chalice. I am undecided as to whether Broon should stay or go. The longer he stays, the more of a landslide for the Conservatives at the next general election - not good for UK politics. If he stays, he will undoubtedly continue with his scorched earth policy to hand over to Cameron. In the end, it's the electorate that suffers.

Siobhan McDonagh has an interesting background - sister was first woman to be elected General Secretary.

Siobhan McDonagh's <500 majority last time out, is unlikely to be repeated at the next election. Nice one Guido - should be quite active over the coming week on there.

I guess Gordon should make the most of his keynote speech at this year's convention. My reckoning, being that this will be his last opportunity to make such an address. Although at present, it's looking like the PM will be lucky to see out the next few weeks.

Someone mentioned the 'scorched earth' policy of this disgraced and disreputable government. They fully intend to leave the country in a parlous state at their inevitable defeat at the next general election.

Careful scrutiny of their actions from the middle of last summer until the next general election, may provide evidence of treason. I very much hope that this possibility is being considered.

The aim of the 'scorched earth' policy is clear: make the country such a mess and engineer unimaginable debt and unemployment, that the Tories will not be able to 'sort it' and thus we, ZNL win the election after next - with a new leader of course! Cute.

lsquared said:
Someone mentioned the 'scorched earth' policy of this disgraced and disreputable government. They fully intend to leave the country in a parlous state at their inevitable defeat at the next general election.

Careful scrutiny of their actions from the middle of last summer until the next general election, may provide evidence of treason. I very much hope that this possibility is being considered.

The aim of the 'scorched earth' policy is clear: make the country such a mess and engineer unimaginable debt and unemployment, that the Tories will not be able to 'sort it' and thus we, ZNL win the election after next - with a new leader of course! Cute.
You really are working hard on losing that O2 tag, aren't you!
Terrifyingly optional, assuming anyone thinks that much in ZNL.
They'll do anything to stay in power ... including the Nation. :roll:

"Welease Wodger and Elskwared", I say! :wink:

lsquared said:

The Tories tried that leading up 1992 - yet still won.

Bonzo_Dog said:
She could be part of a dception plan by Broon to bring out into the open his potential adversaries. After all, who on earth would want to inherit the Liarbour party as it is? Liarbour are doomed at the next election so any all any new leader receives is a poisoned chalice. I am undecided as to whether Broon should stay or go. The longer he stays, the more of a landslide for the Conservatives at the next general election - not good for UK politics. If he stays, he will undoubtedly continue with his scorched earth policy to hand over to Cameron. In the end, it's the electorate that suffers.
do we really want a landslide victory? with a slender majority politicians will start to listen to the electorate once again and perhaps maybe even keep to their bloody manifesto promises.

That's why I said it's not good for UK politics.

Bonzo_Dog said:
That's why I said it's not good for UK politics.
When were any politicians ever good for the Public?

We've got major Elections here over the next couple of months, and it's amazing how some of them are wriggling to escape from "I thought it was a good idea at the time".

However, a marginal majority just leads to endless compromise, which means Nationalising the trees, having PFI cut them down, and everybody doing a group weep. It would be nice [in my dreams :roll: ] to have a strong Govt that actually listened to what the People [ALL the people, especially Middle England] had to say.

This is a plot, but not the way people think it is. It's a Blairite West Coast of Scotland Catholic McMafia plot....this woman is the sister of Margaret McDonagh. Nasty....and great fun to watch. Beginning of the end...but it will be slow....

MrPVRd said:
This is a plot, but not the way people think it is. It's a Blairite West Coast of Scotland Catholic McMafia plot....this woman is the sister of Margaret McDonagh. Nasty....and great fun to watch. Beginning of the end...but it will be slow....
Yes - but hugely entertaining. :)

ABrighter2006 said:
MrPVRd said:
Yes - but hugely entertaining. :)
It's going to be like watching a car crash, in 36 daily 30-minute instalments.

I'm really looking forward to it. :D