Labour Leadership Contest

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by ABrighter2006, Sep 12, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So, Siobhan McDonagh has stuck her neck out - fair play.

I wonder if Brown will reach out, and call for one, as a vote of confidence in his leadership?

Interesting timing - in the lead-up to the party conference.

Will he stay, or will he go?

From the BBC website: Labour whip wants leader contest

2. msr

msr LE

I think the question is: will she stay or will she go?

3. Poor timing for NL :D - whatever her agenda.

No Sarah Palin is she?
  4. See where you're coming from MSR - think she has already stood down from her junior ministership. On the other hand, Gordon's going to have to tread carefully for a few days. As per Victorian_Major's post, it's poor timing for Labour to be brushing to one side Leadership Issues, with the media all over the conference in the coming days.

From this evening's Snowmail:

5. She sounded convincing on BBC Radio 4 some minutes ago. (Brave move of the BBC to broadcast a 'non-believer).

She sounded even more convincing and believeable when compared with the hysterical outbursts and shrieking of the next MP interviewed - Emily Thornberry Labour MP for Islington South & Finsbury. This woman clearly understands that she will be seeking employment come the next General Election. Her majority 484.

Bring it on 'Mr. Bean'.
  6. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Much as one would wish to charge towards the barricades, it has been said often before on ARRSE in recent months ...

Gordon is the Dream Ticket for the Conservatives at the next Election.

Good luck, Gordon ... for now :wink:
  7. All good fun, but if this is true, scarcely surprising - very funny if true, however: even when you're this stupid, you can end up a liarbore whip!

8. She could be part of a dception plan by Broon to bring out into the open his potential adversaries. After all, who on earth would want to inherit the Liarbour party as it is? Liarbour are doomed at the next election so any all any new leader receives is a poisoned chalice. I am undecided as to whether Broon should stay or go. The longer he stays, the more of a landslide for the Conservatives at the next general election - not good for UK politics. If he stays, he will undoubtedly continue with his scorched earth policy to hand over to Cameron. In the end, it's the electorate that suffers.
  9. Siobhan McDonagh has an interesting background - sister was first woman to be elected General Secretary.

Siobhan McDonagh's <500 majority last time out, is unlikely to be repeated at the next election. Nice one Guido - should be quite active over the coming week on there.

I guess Gordon should make the most of his keynote speech at this year's convention. My reckoning, being that this will be his last opportunity to make such an address. Although at present, it's looking like the PM will be lucky to see out the next few weeks.
  10. Someone mentioned the 'scorched earth' policy of this disgraced and disreputable government. They fully intend to leave the country in a parlous state at their inevitable defeat at the next general election.

Careful scrutiny of their actions from the middle of last summer until the next general election, may provide evidence of treason. I very much hope that this possibility is being considered.

The aim of the 'scorched earth' policy is clear: make the country such a mess and engineer unimaginable debt and unemployment, that the Tories will not be able to 'sort it' and thus we, ZNL win the election after next - with a new leader of course! Cute.
  11. blue-sophist

You really are working hard on losing that O2 tag, aren't you!
    Terrifyingly optional, assuming anyone thinks that much in ZNL.
    They'll do anything to stay in power ... including the Nation. :roll:

"Welease Wodger and Elskwared", I say! :wink:
  12. The Tories tried that leading up 1992 - yet still won.
  13. do we really want a landslide victory? with a slender majority politicians will start to listen to the electorate once again and perhaps maybe even keep to their bloody manifesto promises.
  14. That's why I said it's not good for UK politics.
  15. blue-sophist

When were any politicians ever good for the Public?

We've got major Elections here over the next couple of months, and it's amazing how some of them are wriggling to escape from "I thought it was a good idea at the time".

However, a marginal majority just leads to endless compromise, which means Nationalising the trees, having PFI cut them down, and everybody doing a group weep. It would be nice [in my dreams :roll: ] to have a strong Govt that actually listened to what the People [ALL the people, especially Middle England] had to say.