Labour Government in the New Year

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I don't think that we will get another GE soon unless PMTM gets fed up with the intransigence of the EU and pissed off being PM.

Labour are still having so much in-fighting that some candidates won't really be putting their all into any campaign. Some moderate Labour MPs may be deselected but stand thus splitting the Labour vote. Lots of potential pitfalls for Labour before getting any way near the ballot box.

However, Tories did well in Scotland last time which is what kept May in power. They might not do so well next time round and SNP will take another hit IMO so the only winners would be Labour with a small possibility of Lib Dems picking some up.

Too close to call, but the bookies will clear up!

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
I am less convinced that the result would be so close. I would not underestimate the depth of unhappiness with the government that austerity has generated; then there's the effect of a younger generation coming to terms with the fact that they will be poorer than their parents. If you think that capitalism has failed you - and house prices, zero hours contracts, student loans and deteriorating public services can do that for you - then all of a sudden accusing Corbyn of seeking to do away with that isn't seen as a criticism.

I'd see the only credible driver of another election being a failure of the government to deliver Brexit; if that is so then Brexit stops being a differentiator between the parties. Trouble is, Brexit has split the country in many ways, not necessarily along traditional party lines, so it is more difficult to predict what would happen than usual.

I think it would be a brave man indeed that ruled anything out right now.
I take your point but I think that's also balanced by the fact that, in the last election, everyone thought Labour was going to get massacred and that drove a lot of one-off behaviours by individual voters and by the broadcast media, none of whom wanted a Tory landslide. Labour was also boosted by the fact that it had complete freedom of manoeuvre to promise whatever it wanted and was up against the most inept campaign of modern times.

Corbyn's lot as a prospective government would be put through the shredder this time with no free passes and given that their very recent track record includes:
1. Backtracking on the student loan promise.
2. Preventing a discussion of the biggest political issue of the day, Brexit, at conference for fear of what would happen.
3. John McDonnell having a car crash interview on Five Live where he couldn't even justify his most basic economic case.
the result is by no means a forgone conclusion.

The Tories don't help their case by banging on about austerity and fiscal responsibility whilst somehow being able to find billions for the DUP and foreign aid whenever it suits, and Corbyn pulling a 'Trump' on the back of discontent is always a possibility, though the Trump presidency is in itself a warning to voters.

There's also the wild card of the PLP, who would not generally be happy to see the hard left cement themselves into position. I think Labour in government right now would make the current Tory shambles look like a model of discipline and it would tear itself apart.

The reality is that, had May not been stupid enough to call an election and inept enough to make Corbyn look good, the Tories would still have a majority and the political story would be Labour destroying itself in the forthcoming reselection battles.

It is truly a near-impossible task to fathom the depths of Theresa May's uselessness.

The really scary thing is that there is not a true leader among the lot of them, whomever you choose it is a clusterfuck waiting to happen.

There's a paucity of talent so perhaps we should just get somebody who can read from a script.

1 We're paying you nothing unless you can prove that it's legally owed.
2 Even then, we might not pay you. Any problems, talk to our giant fekkin aircraft carrier.
3 We'll stop paying non-contributory benefits to foreign nationals the day after Brexit.
4 We'll start enforcing UK law and deporting EU citizens who have been out of work for 3 months.
5 WTO will mean massive fekkin tariffs on German cars. My granddad didn't die in 2 world wars so we could all say Vorsprung durch Technik.
6 If necessary, Learjets carrying EU potentates through UK air space will be shot down.
7 If Jean-Claude Juncker turns up pissed again at a breakfast meeting, we'll deport all our Romanian gypsies to Brussels.
And may I suggest the pikies too?

As weak as May is, she must remain as PM to avoid an election. A Labour Government is unthinkable in its current form and with its current personalities.

ugly

LE
Following the DUP getting the hump, and May trying to herd cats with her Cabinet, are we going to see Corbyn enter No 10 or will we have yet another election. If that happens I can see it being a close run thing.

All in all 2018 is going to be a bit turbulent on the political front.
More chance of a leadership battle amongst the Tories and no new election

ugly

LE
I was listening to Kier Starmer yesterday bleating on about Brexit.
He makes my teeth bleed, a typical party twonk!

ugly

LE
I am less convinced that the result would be so close. I would not underestimate the depth of unhappiness with the government that austerity has generated; then there's the effect of a younger generation coming to terms with the fact that they will be poorer than their parents. If you think that capitalism has failed you - and house prices, zero hours contracts, student loans and deteriorating public services can do that for you - then all of a sudden accusing Corbyn of seeking to do away with that isn't seen as a criticism.

I'd see the only credible driver of another election being a failure of the government to deliver Brexit; if that is so then Brexit stops being a differentiator between the parties. Trouble is, Brexit has split the country in many ways, not necessarily along traditional party lines, so it is more difficult to predict what would happen than usual.

I think it would be a brave man indeed that ruled anything out right now.
The reason you cannot get from A to B in this country , be it by car , rail or bus , is that there is full employment in this country .
Only 1 in 40 workers is on a zero hours contract , not the majority , as Labour would have you believe .
If Labour come to power , they have promised to increase the minimum wage to over £10PH and raise corporation tax .
Both will result in businesses either closing or simply moving elsewhere .
People can work that one out for themselves .

Debt .
Amount Owed:
People in the UK owed £1.529 TRILLION at the end of March 2017. This figure is up from £1.484 TRILLION at the end of March 2016 – an extra £886.84 per UK adult.
Average Borrowing:
The average total debt per household – including mortgages – was £56,632 in March.
That's an average debt per adult of £30,277 – which is about 114.5% of average earnings.
Consumer Credit Levels
Outstanding consumer credit lending was £197.4 BILLION at the end of March 2017.
This is up from £182.8 BILLION at the end of March 2016, and is an increase of £288.31 for every adult in UK.
This means average consumer credit borrowing per UK adult is now £3,909
If Labour come to power , they'll both print and borrow more money , which will inevitably mean rises in interest rates making the cost of this debt higher , most people know that , too .

Immigration

The white working class voted for Brexit to curb immigration , something they will not get with Corbyn ( Brexit OR curbs to immigration ) .

Then again .... TM's approval rating is tanking vs Corbyn's .

This country has also developed a Turkeys / Christmas voting habit .

Hard Call .......

Thread drift, but, have I missed a proper debate on labour's idea for differeing retirement ages dependent on trade or have they dropped that faster that a stone down a dry well as it was just nonsense?

I only heard one interview on the subject and the shadow minister responsible for the idea had no idea how it would work !

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Indeed. However still better than having Corbyn.
Is it too reckless to suggest that even Higgs_bosun would be better than Corbyn...?

ugly

LE
I shudder to think of proposed caveats and vacuous grandstanding that will spout from Wee Nippy given she will be acutely aware her political gravitas (never outstanding) is fast eroding. I say that as a registered SNP member.
As we have witnessed in recent political history, the Cons in particular are extremely effective at ousting unwanted PMs. The've got form for it, and the balls if they think there is no other way.
My personal instinct is PMTM will be "lucky" to occupy No10 by the Spring, snap election or not.
She is in a truly dire highly toxic multi battle front situation without the strengths , as far as I can see, that she needs to survive without relying on "advisors". We've already seen what happened to previous advisors.
Agreed , but who else actually wants the job ?

Thread drift, but, have I missed a proper debate on labour's idea for differeing retirement ages dependent on trade or have they dropped that faster that a stone down a dry well as it was just nonsense?

I only heard one interview on the subject and the shadow minister responsible for the idea had no idea how it would work !
The media is too busy finding every angle possible to swing for the Tories, because another election is a godsend for their ability to fire up the news making machine and then bring out all the negative stuff about Corbyn and Labour, depending on allegiance of course, when it really matters....

One of the curses of the Social Media Age is that it encourages idiocy as a form of realpolitik. Before the last election too many lefties who didn't understand how our system of government works were squawking about "Theresa May doesn't have a mandate to lead the country" because she didn't win the election as leader of the Conservatives. They do not understand that PM is an appointment not an elected office.

And may I suggest the pikies too?
You crazy fool RC. Don't you remember the 70s? The oil crisis?

If anything, we need to build up our strategic pikey reserves. If Labour get in, we're sure to run out of coal, gas, oil, fifty pound notes and all other burny stuff as foreigners refuse to believe that bonds with the ink still wet on them are just as good as Roubles (our new currency post Corbyn).

We may need to burn pikeys in power stations to keep the lights on in vital places like hospitals, the Strangers' Bar in Westminster and Diane Abbott's fridge.

For further details, refer to Mr B Top, the next Tory Prime Minister's Secretary of State for Immigration and Ethnic Affairs.

Latest Threads