Labour cook the books - Labour treasurer

I believe him...unlike Nanny Tessa, whom I do not :twisted:

My jaw dropped an inch or two when Mr Dromey popped up on Channel 4 News. This is quite unprecedented and the damage caused can only be guessed at.

If this sleaze is coupled with a drubbing in the May elections, I think the Labour party will seek to part company with the Dear Leader as quickly as possible, in order to save what remains of their party.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4810670.stm

Labour treasurer 'knew nothing'

Labour's treasurer has revealed that he and other elected officials did not know the party had secretly taken out loans last year.
Jack Dromey said he will investigate the issue with the party's general secretary and report next Tuesday.

His comments follow a furore over three men recommended for peerages after lending Labour money. Unlike donations, loans do not have to be declared.

Mr Dromey said Labour needed to put its house in order to restore confidence.

He is calling on the Electoral Commission to investigate the issue of political parties taking out loans from non-commercial sources.

Mr Dromey, who is also deputy general secretary of the Transport and General Workers' Union, wants to know how decisions can be made transparent and given "democratic overview".

His comments come after a property millionaire, who made a loan to the Labour Party ahead of last year's general election, asked Tony Blair to stop his nomination for a peerage.

Sir David Garrard, who also gave £2.4m to one of Mr Blair's flagship city academies, says he made an unspecified loan to Labour "on commercial terms".

He is one of three businessmen whose peerages were blocked by the House of Lords Appointments' Commission.

Sir David's spokeswoman said he had been told the peerage was for his lifelong commitment to "child welfare and education", plus his "vigorous support" of the government's education policy.

He was "disappointed" that in the months since the peerage nominations list was leaked, the appointments' commission "has not once asked for clarification" of any issues which could have been under investigation, she said.

In his statement, Mr Dromey explained why he had started an inquiry into the "securing of loans in secret by the Labour Party in 2005".

He said he believed in high standards in public life and Labour had campaigned in opposition for transparency to "clean up" politics.

"I will report back to the National Executive Committee next Tuesday on what happened and what we need to do to ensure that never again are the elected officers of the Labour Party kept in the dark," he said.

"The Labour Party needs to put its house in order to restore public and party members' confidence.

"There are wider public interest issues, however, for all political parties that require to be investigated properly by the Independent Electoral Commission."

I remember when Blurs gang first fot in power and one of his bitches got up on TV and eas giving it sh1t on Tory Misrule.
Seems to have gone quite on Labour Sleaze.
"Jack Dromey, the husband of Harriet Harman, the constitutional affairs minister, effectively accused the Prime Minister of running a secret funding operation involving millions of pounds without the knowledge of the party's elected officials.
His remarks suggested that millions of pounds raised in loans before the election did not go through the normal party accounts."
john
Blur has run the most corrupt government since Lloyd George.

What's to stop Bliar resigning next week, doing a Mandelson or a Blunkett, enjoying a pay-off coupled with a long sunshine holiday and rejoining the Labour front benches later in the year when the furore has died down a bit. Sounds like a good sketch to me.

Oh! what a tangled web they weave, when Labour practices to deceive...

My forecast of events:

Today: Bliar claims he didn't know about large sums of money being 'lent' to the party in return for dodgy deals on peerages

Tomorrow: Tessa Jowell declares her support and says she has complete confidence in Bliar's

Saturday: Bliar is cleared of everything by a civil servant appointed by him to look at some very narrow aspect of the case

Sunday: Jack Dromey goes for a walk in some woods near his home...

So while Mr Dromey investigates "cash for honours-gate", Mrs Dromey asks to be relieved of her duties in reforming the House of Lords (BBC Link).

Could she really be so unaware of what was going on if she is reviewing what happens with a view to changing it?.

Meanwhile ... and also relevant to the other Blair Babe/hubby clash (mortgage-gate) - the new Private Eye quotes an earlier publication (hence the flowery prose)

To Wives and Housekeepers

It is the fashion now-a-days of many ladies to ignore their husbands pecuniary affairs; they profess ignorance of money matters, and encourage themselves in the idea that their wishes at least must be gratified - with the rest they have nothing to do. Now the affectation of this bad enough, but nothing can be worse than the actual practice - many a ruined house, many a bankruptcy and insolvency springs out of it - many a domestic circle is broken up, and the pride which caused the ruin is humbled to dust as a reward ...
Than you to Mrs Beaton, writing in Englishwomen's Domestic Magazine in 1857.

My politics has always between me and the rubbish bin but as I veered from left of centre to right of centre, I toyed with the idea of joining a reputable mainstream political party but not finding any I've decided to join the Labour Party. Put me down for 50k, low denominations and used notes please.

mistersoft said:
My politics has always between me and the rubbish bin but as I veered from left of centre to right of centre, I toyed with the idea of joining a reputable mainstream political party but not finding any I've decided to join the Labour Party. Put me down for 50k, low denominations and used notes please.
Welcome, Lord Mistersoft of Arrseonia

Explains the mortgage then........

So much for his promise of a 'Sleeze Free' Goverment..... If you or I got up to these sort of dealings then our feet wouldnt touch and we'd be off to one of HM's nice hotel's for a free long holiday....

Its way past time for this inept corrupt bunch to go

They took out 14 million out in 'Loans' at commercial rates of interest (any lower and it breaks the rules and would have had to be declared) before the last election. There has been no mention of any of it being repayed so far. Is there anyone out there with the fiscal knowledge to work out how much interest has been acrewed so far and how much the labour party are going to have to pay back to try and make all this go away?

Not a very economic way of fundraising for an election is it? No wonder everything is falling appart despite them throwing more money at things. Look how they run their own finances..... their treasurer doesn't even know how bad things are?