Labour and Lib Dems view of us

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Sven said:
Biped said:
Sven said:
We are deciding policy this year

If I give my parties view on things, am I a stooge?.

Yes, of course You are. Your party is full of wibblers with very low standards who say 'parties' when They mean 'party's' and then bang on about how we can trust them with education. They are not fit to run a knocking shop being, as They are, complete wasters (except for the bloke, I've forgotten His name but then You would expect that, who was in charge of Your party temporarily but didn't want the job full time because He had standards and values.)

Go Biped.

PS I've written this in Sven-speak but surely it's easier to use capitals properly?

Let's look at the specific propsals in this manifesto rather than what Sven claims it says.

"Armed Forces a force for good ...blah blah blah the best .. blah bla deserve better" (so just political pat on the head - no substance)

"Procurement has been bad ... will fix it by improving competion and more open-ness." Oh bugger - it is that simple, if only we had realised that.

Cancel third tranche of Euro-fighter and use savings to buy everything else we need and fix welfare. Would someone in the know like to look at the spend profile, cost of cancelling the tranche and provide an analysis. It seems unlikely that the savings would be enough or in the correct timeframe. There would then be the minor issue of how would we address the loss of capability caused by the cancellation. But that will be easy - in the new spirit of open-ness the MoD will just put an ad in the classified section of the Guardian "Wanted: 20 or 30 fighter aircaft. Any reasonable price considered. Must run on bio-diesel and be compatible with any EU aircraft. Left hand drive preferred"

On Trident. The Liberals will convince the whole world of the need for multi-lateral nuclear disarmament and the resultant savings would be be fed back into defence. Except of course most of our independant nuclear deterrence costs are outside of normal defence operating costs and no Chancellor would ever channel savings back into defence - it would just be more cash for the welfare state.

Err - that's it, until their new leader changes their mind. Want a better analysids of liberal defence thinking, then read the Guardian letters page

cpunk

LE
The Lib-Dems can - and will - promise pretty much anything vaguely plausible because they won't ever have to put any of it into practice. Thus the pledge to bin the third tranche of Typhoon: you can be sure that if that were possible, Broon and co would have done it years ago. Unfortunately, our consortium partners are holding us to our agreements so we're left trying to flog them on to the Saudis, who need them about as much as we do.

I just don't see the point of the Lib Dems. I always see them as a place for people who want to have the moral high ground on every issue, without wanting to ever dirty their views by having them meet reality.

I'm reminded of a cartoon series Private Eye did way back called '101 Uses for A John Major'. E.g. No 16 - a speed bump.

Can anyone think of a use for the Liberal Democrats?

Given the comments of those who found the need to hunt down the manifesto and read it, it seems I was right not to bother!

FORMER_FYRDMAN said:
...(except for the bloke, I've forgotten His name but then You would expect that, who was in charge of Your party temporarily but didn't want the job full time because He had standards and values.)
Leaving the door open to select people such as:

The acerbic warry one who was also a bit of a tit in Bosnia and is now a habitual grump but probably one of the best that they have had?

The leery drunk with the poor mistruth-filter?

The hectoring humourless coffin-dodger with the oratory of a gargoyle and the most boring and anodyne political agenda?

They can certainly pick them. But there's a limited cast, bearing in mind half their MPs are deeply confused cottaging misfits.

I've no inclination to read the manifesto of a party so irreparably distanced from being in Government. The Lib Dems exist to remove the earnest unthinking inept from the Political Flow and in this they do a wonderfully good job.

Letterwritingman said:
Sven said:
Microsoft Word tells me, page 27 of the downloadable manefesto.
that would be the 2005 manefesto? .............. :?
It could be the 1993 manifesto or the 2172 manifesto. If it comes from the lib dems its complete rubbish and has no chance of ever being implemented so save your time and go and read Andypipkins crappy thread instead. Its just as dull.

Sven said:
Letterwritingman said:
Sven said:
Letterwritingman said:
Sven said:
Microsoft Word tells me, page 27 of the downloadable manefesto.
that would be the 2005 manefesto? .............. :?
You mean theres been an election since? These are the most up to date promises we have made with regards to defence. We are deciding policy this year, getting ready for the next General Election.
This whole half page, is that what you refer too?

Defence

Our troops protect the nation – we must protect them. Britain’s armed forces protect the country and are a force for good in the world. But with increasing overseas commitments, they are overstretched. The Government should not be cutting the size of the armed forces while at the same time asking them to take on ever more difficult tasks. New equipment continues to arrive late and over-budget, so we will make military procurement more open and competitive. By switching funding from unnecessary programmes, for example by cutting the third tranche of the Eurofighter programme, we will be able to invest more in protecting the welfare of the armed forces, ensuring that they are well-trained and well-equipped. We will seek new ways of sharing the military burden, by working with allies through NATO and the EU. Liberal Democrats will be realistic about what Britain can, and should, take on, and British forces must always be able to deal with emergencies at home, such as terrorism or natural disasters.

Work for the elimination of nuclear weapons and tackle the arms trade. We will press for a new round of multilateral arms reduction talks, retaining the UK’s current minimum nuclear deterrent for the foreseeable future, until sufficient progress has been made towards the global elimination of such weapons. Arms sales contribute to conflict, so we will establish a cross-party Parliamentary Arms Export Committee to monitor arms exports and scrutinise individual licence applications. We will require arms brokers to register under a code of conduct and revoke the licences of those who break the code. We will support the establishment of an International Arms Trade Treaty.
Somehow I see us as part of a EURO Corps or a response to striking Firefighters(FFS)
Euro Corps? Bollox!!

Doing the Firefighters/ambulance drivers/dustmans job is a role we have played for decades and so is seen as part of the job. Give me a political party that promises that the forces will only be used to visit violence at the governments behest.
My bold. I don't know of any political party that advocates the use of force (or "visiting violence" as you so eloquently put it) at anybody else’s behest. Of course if the Lib Dems did get in then the government sanctioning this "visit of violence" would be in Brussels.

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
So, LibDems, about as valid as the Monster Raving Loony Party, but with less cred amongst the voters.

Job Jobbed, and thanks Sven.

Edited For Bad Spelling, Terribly Sorry And All That.

ugly

LE
It matters not what either of them think, one can promise the earth as it will never have to deliver and the others are well just a bunch of professional thieves!

Victorian_Major said:
The Lib Dems exist to remove the earnest unthinking inept from the Political Flow and in this they do a wonderfully good job.

Thanks for that. I always wondered what the point of them was.

Uses for a libdem:

1. Modelling leather elbow patches on a Corduroy jacket.

2. Banging a Cheeky girl.

3. Developing macchiavellian talent for internal party politics (not to be used against any other party as no-one would take any notice)

4. Keeping the rent boys of London in trim.

5. Acting as an example of the sort of twonk who would have a real say in the running of the country if we as a nation were insane enough to go for Proportional Representation.

I'm sure there's more but I really can't be arrsed.

"Work for the elimination of nuclear weapons and tackle the arms trade. We will press for a new round of multilateral arms reduction talks, retaining the UK’s current minimum nuclear deterrent for the foreseeable future, until sufficient progress has been made towards the global elimination of such weapons. Arms sales contribute to conflict, so we will establish a cross-party Parliamentary Arms Export Committee to monitor arms exports and scrutinise individual licence applications. We will require arms brokers to register under a code of conduct and revoke the licences of those who break the code. We will support the establishment of an International Arms Trade Treaty."

First bold - we are getting rid of it because the rocket propellant is getting close to the "sell by" date.

Second Bold - to be added - "whilst we are doing this, the Septics, Russians, Frogs, Chinese and any other fecker with an Arms Industry will p1ss themselves laughing as we issue the P45's to the UK workforce"

The good news is apart from David Icke, the Lib Dems have got the majority of the sandal wearing loonies accounted for - in the Membership List.

So, to sum up SVEN, do YOU think encouraging ARRSErs to read the LibDem manifesto has proven:

1) a sensible idea as clearly there are now thousands wishing to sign up to their cause; or
2) a pointless exercise as everyone has already made up their decision that LibDems are pants; or
3) a foolish idea as it has heaped even more ridicule on the political party YOU claim to support.

And has anybody actually found the answer to Letterwritingman's original question or has everybody simply been lead up another tangental blind alley?

whitecity said:
So, to sum up SVEN, do YOU think encouraging ARRSErs to read the LibDem manifesto has proven:

1) a sensible idea as clearly there are now thousands wishing to sign up to their cause; or
2) a pointless exercise as everyone has already made up their decision that LibDems are pants; or
3) a foolish idea as it has heaped even more ridicule on the political party YOU claim to support.

And has anybody actually found the answer to Letterwritingman's original question or has everybody simply been lead up another tangental blind alley?
Stop writing like him, its bad enough when he does it. Sven a failed politician, even if I didn't know he talks complete bollox, based on that I wouldn't trust the skiving git.

Sven. With people like You supporting Lib Dem, they will Never Ever get elected. Thank God we have a whole system to prevent it.

Under Liarbour, the country is being run by a bunch of minor local councillor types.
Under Lib dem, the country would be run by a bunch of trendy Geography teacher types.

Jockster915 said:
So far the only major Party who are not being investigated for financial defincies shall we say.

Jockster
Er, yes they are. Their biggest donor gives his address in Switzerland (and now is residing in jail!) and was not therefore allowed to anonoymusly donate £2.5 million to the fibdems. The LDs refuse to hang the money back, saying that they recieved it in "good faith".

Latest Threads