• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Labour and Lib Dems view of us

Chris Hume stated fairly publicly that the Police were 'fairly unique' in that they were not able to strike, there are almost 3-4 coppers to Service personnel, why then should should not such a minority group receive advantageous funding; most especially as they much like MPs have to account for every Public money spent?

Letterwritingman said:
Your so quick sven.......provide it
Even though it has been provided before, here is the page You can download it from. LIberal Democrats

As a taster, here is the first sentence or so.

Our troops protect the nation – we must protect them. Britain’s armed forces protect the country and are a force for good in the world. But with increasing overseas commitments, they are overstretched. The Government should not be cutting the size of the armed forces while at the same time asking them to take on ever more difficult tasks.

Sven said:
Letterwritingman said:
Your so quick sven.......provide it
Even though it has been provided before, here is the page You can download it from. LIberal Democrats

As a taster, here is the first sentence or so.

Our troops protect the nation – we must protect them. Britain’s armed forces protect the country and are a force for good in the world. But with increasing overseas commitments, they are overstretched. The Government should not be cutting the size of the armed forces while at the same time asking them to take on ever more difficult tasks.
Which part of the Manifesto should I go to..........a direct link to Defence policy would help?

Sven said:
The Lib Dem manefesto viz a viz defence has been linked to on this site. i suggest You do a search and read it.
Will reading the LibDem manifesto help in answering Letterwringman's questions?

Or will ARRSErs just have to wade through paragraph after paragraph of irrelevant and inconsequential political pledges - and then find they've just wasted their time.

But you can then write to Lib Dem HQ and claim responsibility for doubling the numbers of 'views' of their manifesto!!!

Sven said:
The Lib Dem manefesto viz a viz defence has been linked to on this site. i suggest You do a search and read it.
'Vis a vis' or 'Viz:' your choice, not a combination of the two. And I'm not going to even bother with the capitalisation...it's too amusing.

Letterwritingman said:
Sven said:
Microsoft Word tells me, page 27 of the downloadable manefesto.
that would be the 2005 manefesto? .............. :?
You mean theres been an election since? These are the most up to date promises we have made with regards to defence. We are deciding policy this year, getting ready for the next General Election.

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
Sven said:
We are deciding policy this year
So, what, your party policy changes every year does it, or just every four years? How about you tell us, on ARRSE, what the view and/or policy of the LibDems on Iraq, Afghanistan, Iran, the British Armed Forces, their role in the world, and their future role in the UK, and their funding levels will be.

I'm sure it won't be dreamed up in the next 3 months - there will be a long standing policy towards the armed forces of the UK, and I'd like to hear what that is, from you.

For example: Do the Libdems plan on pulling the armed forces out of Iraq, Afghanistan, do the Libdems plan to provide a large real term increase in MOD funding?

Stooge, mouthpiece, or stand-up bloke Sven - make a stand.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Biped - You are asking Him to discuss Us in the presence of Them. You must understand that We are of no account to Those beyond our vote. I hope this makes things clear to You because otherwise We will be asked to provide a link to Him and Them who Him serves and We will then be focked about by IT, the servant of Him.

Sven said:
Letterwritingman said:
Sven said:
You mean theres been an election since? These are the most up to date promises we have made with regards to defence. We are deciding policy this year, getting ready for the next General Election.
This whole half page, is that what you refer too?

Defence

Our troops protect the nation – we must protect them. Britain’s armed forces protect the country and are a force for good in the world. But with increasing overseas commitments, they are overstretched. The Government should not be cutting the size of the armed forces while at the same time asking them to take on ever more difficult tasks. New equipment continues to arrive late and over-budget, so we will make military procurement more open and competitive. By switching funding from unnecessary programmes, for example by cutting the third tranche of the Eurofighter programme, we will be able to invest more in protecting the welfare of the armed forces, ensuring that they are well-trained and well-equipped. We will seek new ways of sharing the military burden, by working with allies through NATO and the EU. Liberal Democrats will be realistic about what Britain can, and should, take on, and British forces must always be able to deal with emergencies at home, such as terrorism or natural disasters.

Work for the elimination of nuclear weapons and tackle the arms trade. We will press for a new round of multilateral arms reduction talks, retaining the UK’s current minimum nuclear deterrent for the foreseeable future, until sufficient progress has been made towards the global elimination of such weapons. Arms sales contribute to conflict, so we will establish a cross-party Parliamentary Arms Export Committee to monitor arms exports and scrutinise individual licence applications. We will require arms brokers to register under a code of conduct and revoke the licences of those who break the code. We will support the establishment of an International Arms Trade Treaty.
Somehow I see us as part of a EURO Corps or a response to striking Firefighters(FFS)

Biped said:
Sven said:
We are deciding policy this year
So, what, your party policy changes every year does it, or just every four years? How about you tell us, on ARRSE, what the view and/or policy of the LibDems on Iraq, Afghanistan, Iran, the British Armed Forces, their role in the world, and their future role in the UK, and their funding levels will be.

I'm sure it won't be dreamed up in the next 3 months - there will be a long standing policy towards the armed forces of the UK, and I'd like to hear what that is, from you.

For example: Do the Libdems plan on pulling the armed forces out of Iraq, Afghanistan, do the Libdems plan to provide a large real term increase in MOD funding?

Stooge, mouthpiece, or stand-up bloke Sven - make a stand.
Hmmmmmmmm

If I give my parties view on things, am I a stooge?.

I can tell You the view on Iraq - my party wanted to pull the troops out much more quickly than the current draw down.

Funding, we promised to give HM Forces the kit (and therefore funding) to do the job, to get the money for it we would in part not fund projects like nuclear weapons. I do not know whether a "large real term increase in MOD funding" was or will be promised, but I doubt it

As I am not part of the manefesto working group I am not privy to the decisions presently being made. However, I can reiterate my beliefs.

Pulling out of Iraq before the job is done would be a disservice to the ordinary Iraqi. More so in Afghanistan. I think that the forces are underfunded to do the job and so MoD should get significant extra funds - it is disgraceful that in prosecuting two different sets of hostilities we have the lowest percentage of the pot since the 1930s.

Letterwritingman said:
Sven said:
Letterwritingman said:
Sven said:
This whole half page, is that what you refer too?

Defence

Our troops protect the nation – we must protect them. Britain’s armed forces protect the country and are a force for good in the world. But with increasing overseas commitments, they are overstretched. The Government should not be cutting the size of the armed forces while at the same time asking them to take on ever more difficult tasks. New equipment continues to arrive late and over-budget, so we will make military procurement more open and competitive. By switching funding from unnecessary programmes, for example by cutting the third tranche of the Eurofighter programme, we will be able to invest more in protecting the welfare of the armed forces, ensuring that they are well-trained and well-equipped. We will seek new ways of sharing the military burden, by working with allies through NATO and the EU. Liberal Democrats will be realistic about what Britain can, and should, take on, and British forces must always be able to deal with emergencies at home, such as terrorism or natural disasters.

Work for the elimination of nuclear weapons and tackle the arms trade. We will press for a new round of multilateral arms reduction talks, retaining the UK’s current minimum nuclear deterrent for the foreseeable future, until sufficient progress has been made towards the global elimination of such weapons. Arms sales contribute to conflict, so we will establish a cross-party Parliamentary Arms Export Committee to monitor arms exports and scrutinise individual licence applications. We will require arms brokers to register under a code of conduct and revoke the licences of those who break the code. We will support the establishment of an International Arms Trade Treaty.
Somehow I see us as part of a EURO Corps or a response to striking Firefighters(FFS)
Euro Corps? Bollox!!

Doing the Firefighters/ambulance drivers/dustmans job is a role we have played for decades and so is seen as part of the job. Give me a political party that promises that the forces will only be used to visit violence at the governments behest.

Latest Threads