Labour about to split?

Chuka Umunna does nothing for me. Never has.
Wasn't he the delicate flower who gave up an earlier attempt to become Labour leader after 24 hours of rolling news questions asking if he liked chips and who his favourite East Enders character was? Perhaps he's been coached by His Purple Eminence in the intervening period?

Oh he has one, every so often the mask slips and it slithers out. Usually at when he's there but not involved events.

I thought his personality was there but didn't take part in anything?

Powerful stuff.

God this country has changed.

Going back to Kinnock, this is his speech following the disasterous failure of Militant in charge of Liverpool under Derek Hatton (who was expelled from the party, though under Corbyn he's been allowed back in)

His argument continues to hold water in the light of the Corbyn/Novara Full Luxury Communism bollox

Hopefully this splinter group will help resettle UK political parties. I believe that for too long politicians have just joined a party for safe job (and wages), but do not agree with the parties manifesto. Many Labour & Conservative MP's should be in the Green Party, SDP or Lib Dems, but if they ever ran for those parties they would loose their jobs/wages/power. In effect they are whoring themselves politically.
I won't name names but I grew up with a kid whose dad was a Tory MP, they didn't believe in the Conservative Party, but thought they would have more chance of becoming an MP if they on paper at least became a Tory

That is the modern mindset, power and financial reward at any cost over principles

Going back to Kinnock, this is his speech following the disasterous failure of Militant in charge of Liverpool under Derek Hatton (who was expelled from the party, though under Corbyn he's been allowed back in)

His argument continues to hold water in the light of the Corbyn/Novara Full Luxury Communism bollox

The is so little that I agreed with Kinnock over and he ended up being a nearly-man in British politics (although his nest-feathering at the EU has done him well). However, that speech, which was typical of many political speakers of that time, was impassioned, accurate, brillianty delivered and incisive.

Such a shame we don't have a single politician of that gravitas any longer.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Doesn't matter that he didn't win, he started the long trek back to electibility, he laid the foundations of the successes that would come later under Blair, the important work that Kinnock did for labour & Britain was to isolate and ostracise the rabid unreconstructed left.
Kinnock's finest hour.

Wordsmith

Good thread on the increasing issue with two party dominance

Frankly, I think he's talking the usual proportional representation bollocks. PR takes representation away from constituencies - it is a system in which democracy at its grass roots level is taken over by technocrats (sound familiar?) by appointing representatives rather than having them elected in their constituencies.

Taking the 'two party' issue, I believe this is an issue at the moment because both May and Corbyn are such woefully poor leaders and also because Brexit has split both parties. A strong leader on either side would wipe the floor with the other; another party with a weak message and leadership will not solve the issue

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
1550498134541.png

Frankly, I think he's talking the usual proportional representation bollocks. PR takes representation away from constituencies - it is a system in which democracy at its grass roots level is taken over by technocrats (sound familiar?) by appointing representatives rather than having them elected in their constituencies.

Taking the 'two party' issue, I believe this is an issue at the moment because both May and Corbyn are such woefully poor leaders and also because Brexit has split both parties. A strong leader on either side would wipe the floor with the other; another party with a weak message and leadership will not solve the issue
I'm heartened by the fact that, after the non-event of this morning with the formation of a loose co-operative by the I'm Really, Really Upset party, the Green Party are shunted further down the HoC Bums On Seats League.

I'm heartened by the fact that, after the non-event of this morning with the formation of a loose co-operative by the I'm Really, Really Upset party, the Green Party are shunted further down the HoC Bums On Seats League.
They should be called the Watermelon Party, as they're green on the outside and red on the inside

The fundamental problem with these 'new' groupings is that they are anything but that. They are just more of the same centrism, albeit diluting and weakening the existing centre.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
The scores on the doors have it thus:

Chuka Umunna: Streatham (Maj: 26,285) Safe lab seat.

Luciana Berger: Liverpool Wavertree (Maj: 29,466) Safe Lab seat

Chris Leslie: Nottingham East (Maj: 19,590) Safe Lab seat

Angela Smith: Penistone and Stockbridge (Maj at 2005: 1,322) Not so safe

Mike Gapes: Ilford South (Maj: 31,647) Safe Lab seat

Gavin Shuker: Luton South (Maj: 13,925) Safe Lab seat

Ann Coffey: Stockport (Maj: 14,477) Safe Lab seat

I can see no room for a paradigm shift in that lot. None of the above except, possibly Umunna, has the presence to win as a true Independent: also, Ann Coffey is now 72 and this turn in the limelight is probably her political swansong.
Resigning MPs have 'responsibility' to call by-elections
John McDonnell has called for the seven MPs who resigned from Labour on Monday to face by-elections.
If they are going to make a statement, resigning and calling a by-election ASAP would be a good idea - before Momentum start to infest their constituencies. If they've been good constituency Labour MP's, they've got a decent chance of winning - particularly if they go on anti-Corbyn rather than anti-Brexit.

Win in the by-elections and other MP's at risk from Momentum will join them.

On the bright side, the seven now all have shadow minister posts - several in fact....

Wordsmith

John McDonnell has called for the seven MPs who resigned from Labour on Monday to face by-elections.
The Marxist arch-hypocrite McDonnell calling for by-elections, the hypocritical 2@t. He didn't call for a by-election when Quentin Davies crossed the floor of the House and joined Labour. The hypocritical 2@t. Did I mention he's a hypocrite?

The Marxist arch-hypocrite McDonnell calling for by-elections, the hypocritical 2@t. He didn't call for a by-election when Quentin Davies crossed the floor of the House and joined Labour. The hypocritical 2@t. Did I mention he's a hypocrite?
McDonnell out and about in daylight doing interviews? It must be serious. I thought he only spoke after sunset and before dawn.

Latest Threads